What's new

Just a little dab'll do ya...

I have a long history with Brylcreme. When I was a kid, even with the usual buzz cuts we had, a little dab of Brylcreme was standard issue for going out to visit relatives or to church. I purchased some a few months ago and use it now and again (I still have the same buzz cut hair). A timeless product. Though I notice it is oil based and if I use it for more than a few days in a row it causes micro pimples along my hair line. Anyone else experience this?

Hmmm, not here. They do a water based creme here in the UK. Same tub just grey in colour. Does the same job, not wet look or mat.....or glossy but leave my hair feeling soft etc. See if you can find that one and try it out. It. Could just be a few blocked follicles or dare I say a reaction to the dreaded older aged gent. :mellow:

Not to be confused with the gel in the tubes.

Not sure I can address the pimple problem as I haven't had that issue and I've been using it (Brylcreem) for many years. You might switch to Groom & Clean though - same basic look but Groom & Clean just rinses out easily so probably not as much oil involved. They're both great products.

This thread brings back a lot of memories!

My Dad started using Brylcreem in the 1940s when it came in those glass jars (that I always thought looked like they should be holding a condiment like tartar sauce). Better hold and easier to use than Brilliantine, yet still had that nice shiny look. Then, in the 1960s, I guess they got bought by Beecham and switched to the red plastic tub, everywhere except Canada.

We got a 200ml black plastic tub with a bright orange-painted steel lid:

proxy.php

My Dad used to give me the empty tubs to hold BBs, marbles, jacks, etc. After he passed, I found dozens of them in his basement, filled with small parts, nails, nuts & bolts, etc. with masking tape labels listing what was in them. Unfortunately, my Mom says that they sent all the old-style glass jars and hundreds of the plastic tubs out to the trash, years ago.

Anyway, the formulation in Canada seemed to be identical to the UK product. My Dad didn't like the US-made product because the oil would separate out if you let it sit. It could be that the oil/grease is the cause of @Rusty Blade's pimple problem, as @StuMcB alluded to.

One thing that my Dad noted is that the UK product wasn't as shiny because it had way less oil than the US product.

I used it for a short time in the 1970s, then stopped when, like a lot of people, I grew my hair long.

Yup, those were the days!

Top Bottom