What's new

Just a confirming observation

While new to this forum, I'm a 60+ year old, long time wet shaver. I love this site and as I must have been a hermit shaver (had no idea there were so many different products available!) I've been reading reviews, linking to suppliers, making a list of what I'll go broke buying.

The one truism that I've come upon numerous times is that with blades.....YMMV.

I've always used Wikinson Sword blade in my razors and get great shaves all the time. Usually 7 shaves. I have a pretty heavy beard, 2 passes. (right now it's a EJ DE87 my wife got me a few years ago to replace my rusty Gillette) Anyway, thanks to this forum, I just received this week a sampler pack of blades. It contained Crystals, Dorco, Derby and Personna red. Reading the reviews on these various blades, it seemed most were positive.

The Crystal was OK, but not as smooth as the WS blades. Lasted 1 shave.
The Derby was great on the 1st shave, started to really tug on the 2nd.
The Personna reds are the best so far. Way better than the previous 2 and much smoother than the WS blades. (2 saves in so far and no tail off in performance.)

Haven't tried the Dorcos yet and may not. Will be ordering a massive amount of Personna reds soon! I don't even care if I don't get 7 shaves out of them. They are just that good for me....YMMV.

My point is (after a long winded opening) is that I really feel certain blades mated with different razors can either be a magical experience or a blood bath.

Rofo,

In my experience the Personna Reds are a very good blade. Not the sharpest, but quite smooth. And quite inexpensive compared to some. If you'd like I'll send you a 5 pack of the Astra Superior Platinums to try. Similar cost to the Personna Reds, but sharper and smoother in my opinion.

Rofo,

In my experience the Personna Reds are a very good blade. Not the sharpest, but quite smooth. And quite inexpensive compared to some. If you'd like I'll send you a 5 pack of the Astra Superior Platinums to try. Similar cost to the Personna Reds, but sharper and smoother in my opinion.
+1 Personna Red good, Astra SP better

Great observations.

The ultimate YMMV though is me. I think I must be one of the few people on the planet that doesn't get a particularly good shave with the Personna Reds. Give me a Gillette 7:00 Yellow, Silver Blue, or a PolSilver SI.......now you're talking!

I am having an affair with Gillette Silver Blues right now.

I just thought Astra SP's were good.

Actually they are pretty good, just not quite as good for me as the GSB's.

Redbike,
Thanks for the offer on the Astra SP's, but (and I knew this would happen!) there are some included in a new pending sample pack order. I'm hooked on the reviews and can't stand the thought that I might be missing something. Soaps are next as all I've used is Williams with good results......but, there are soooo many!

Redbike,
Thanks for the offer on the Astra SP's, but (and I knew this would happen!) there are some included in a new pending sample pack order. I'm hooked on the reviews and can't stand the thought that I might be missing something. Soaps are next as all I've used is Williams with good results......but, there are soooo many!

Oh man, once you fall in the soap pit it is pretty hard to get out--talk about fear you are missing something. Luckily soap comes in samples as well, but the possibilities seem endless, in a really good way!

Using a E.J safety razors goes hand to hand with Astra Superior Platinum, PolSilver Super Iridium, Personna Lab Blue, Perma-Sharp Super and Feathers, for smooth and bloodless shaves...every day.

As I found out today.

Feather in a Merkur HD / Astra SP in a Slim = Freddy Krueger Face

Feather in a Slim / Astra in a Merkur HD = Baby Bum Smooth!

All personal though. This wouldn't work for everyone.

Top Bottom