What's new

Jurassic Park, Or, Who Has Got The Oldest Razor Collection By Combined Age Of Items?

There are many threads discussing the pro and cons of very high priced, medium priced or budget razors, and all that goes with the concept of monetary value.

To me the age of a good working razor, regardless of it's plate loss, and other aesthetic dings, is far more valuable than money. It is history, and the lost memories and experiences of those who once shaved with them and those of us who shave with them still. The feeling of 'were you being used the morning of the Kennedy assassination?' 'were you being used when the radio announced the attack on Pearl Harbour?' often comes over me when I use one of my vintages. Also the little, unrecorded triumphs and tragedies which were part of previous owner's lives, they witnessed and are lost to history.

Basically I commune with my vintage razors, and they are my friends.

Just to start off, my modest little collection has a combined age of 406 years.

2 Gillette Adjustables - 114 years
1 Super Speed - 73 years
1 Tech - 57 years
1 Open Comb - 90 years
1 Ever Ready SE 72 years

So, let us see who has the oldest razor collection on B&B by years of individual items?

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
There are many threads discussing the pro and cons of very high priced, medium priced or budget razors, and all that goes with the concept of monetary value.

To me the age of a good working razor, regardless of it's plate loss, and other aesthetic dings, is far more valuable than money. It is history, and the lost memories and experiences of those who once shaved with them and those of us who shave with them still. The feeling of 'were you being used the morning of the Kennedy assassination?' 'were you being used when the radio announced the attack on Pearl Harbour?' often comes over me when I use one of my vintages. Basically I commune with my vintage razors, and they are my friends.

Just to start off, my modest little collection has a combined age of 406 years.

So, let us see who has the oldest razor collection on B&B by years of individual items!
As far as I know, everything I own was manufactured within the last year... and I don't have 406 items... so, I think you won this round. <eg>

The only vintage I have are my dad’s Schick Krona and Schick Not a Krona, which are both hard to date exactly. But the rest of the collection is modern and the oldest is 7 years old so I’m still below 105-110 years all in.

I bet we get to see some pretty high numbers in this thread though!

Happy Jerry Seinfeld GIF

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Interesting thought .. but it might take too long for me to compile .. I'm going to venture a guess from the OP who should correct me if I'm wrong but that 16th century straights or my vintage clamshells don't count? Mebbe to avoid some pain make it 5 or another # oldest razors?

So just off the top of me head, there are several 100 year old SE GEM/Kampfe/Stars, a goggle of Gillette Old Types that go about a century, the myriad of Schicks go back 85 years or so ..

500 years?

Interesting thought .. but it might take too long for me to compile .. I'm going to venture a guess from the OP who should correct me if I'm wrong but that 16th century straights or my vintage clamshells don't count? Mebbe to avoid some pain make it 5 or another # oldest razors?

So just off the top of me head, there are several 100 year old SE GEM/Kampfe/Stars, a goggle of Gillette Old Types that go about a century, the myriad of Schicks go back 85 years or so ..

500 years?
Anything that was originally made to shave with, counts.

Well, I never though about doing this, but here it goes...

Razor
Year
76​
Aristocrat (Slim)
55​
Diplomat
67​
Fatboy
62​
Fatboy (Replated Palladium)
61​
Hoffritz Slant
52​
President
69​
Slim
60​
Slim
56​
Slim
55​
Super Adjustable 84
53​
Super-Speed Blue Tip
64​
Super-Speed Red Tip
66​
Tech Nacet
49​
Toggle
62​
Total Age

907​

What a fun thread! My collection is growing quickly but I'm traveling to Europe right now. I've been buying batches to rehab them because I enjoy bringing these things back to a useful life. When I get a moment, I'm definitely going to do a rough tally.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Let's see.. I was given a RR DE Aluminum razor in Feb... I bought my first ESC Claymore Evolution a few days later... and I added a polished Claymore Evolution in early April... Let's guess and say they are all manufactured within the last 6 months.... so I'm up to a year and a half. I might be tied for last place here.

Top Bottom