What's new

Junk DE Double Blade Russkie "Military" Razors, Revisited

Got 2 last year & after multiple shaves, wrote them off as worthless - both with the 2 blade spacer & with single blade. The blade clamps into the plastic Russian heads & profile is bowed & wavy on both. To call it a "Poor shave" is being highly generous. The knurled black plastic handle from one was worth salvage, and the cheaply knurled aluminum handle from the other may be a slight upgrade to a Yin Jili plastic handle; both plastic caps & base plates don't properly fit in combination with anything else of mine.
The corrugated spacers, OTOH show promise. Assembled into a Ying Jili Tech Clone, with 2 old, used Treet Black Beauties for fit, blade spacing is even and straight. Got a smooth shave around my wrist where the hair frequently gets caught in my watchbands, so, it shows promise.
More to come, just as soon as I grow enough beard back to shave later tonite ...

Last edited:
Didn't want to 'waste' good blades, so I pulled a pair of Treet Black Beauties out of the blade bank & set them up with the corrugated blade spacer, using a Ying Jili head on the Russian plastic handle. They easily aligned parallel. 4 passes with no irritation or nicks - 8 hrs later, still BBS.
Should give an amazing shave with fresh blades!

Pics, so we know what yo are talking about?

I have always been a frankenrazor type and am interested in new ideas.

Pics, so we know what yo are talking about?

I have always been a frankenrazor type and am interested in new ideas.
1586204826707.png

The corrugated stainless steel Spacer goes between the blades. I don't bother snappoing the top blade, since it aligne easier on a Gillette Tech-type razor when left whole.
1586204994896.png

If you don't hurt yourself trying this I might just try it. I have never had the gumption to try my Russion twin blade but I might be willing to try the spacer and 2 blades in one of my other razors.

Todays' shave was with 2 shark Stainless pulled from other razors, but with only about 3 shaves on each blade. 10 hours later, I'm still BBS smooth. I did get a couple of nicks under my nose, but I don't get a good angle when using other blades or razors, either.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have thought of getting some of these razors as they are still relatively cheap. I wonder about snapping the blade in half if you set it up as per the instructions.

I have thought of getting some of these razors as they are still relatively cheap. I wonder about snapping the blade in half if you set it up as per the instructions.
Buy it for the blade spacer to use on a real razor & not for a decent shave. The heads are poorly made & don't hold either single blade or 2 blades with spacer straight. The blades are wavy & uneven. I don't snap the top blade when using the spacer in a Gillette Tech or clone - it isn't necessary.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a few variations of this razor and have had some good results with one and not the other.

I decided to use the the spacer as a shim in a Razorock Tech type razor. I like the RR Tech type but find it too mild.
Well the shim put some teeth on this razor. Dramatically more efficient but very smooth.

Could be onto something here. Used a Astra blade and damn it was a close shave. More feedback after a few more shaves.

Pictures for comparison below.

Cheers
John

829C34F0-6F3B-4BA7-A446-AA1A671BE577.jpeg
CE0448B2-FD7E-4769-946D-AAEC0078457E.jpeg
B3900202-F9BD-4A67-A2D9-9C8D6B1E019A.jpeg
39670591-A140-4711-8BD7-126A72608E5B.jpeg

I just saw this crazy Russian face torture device for the first time on Ebay today...

I wonder if the purpose of cutting the top blade in half is to allow it a small amount of setback in relation to the bottom blade?

As the design (such as it is) stands, it seems like an un-cut upper blade would totally overhang the lower one at normal DE shaving angles, effectively just increasing exposure of the top blade and not letting the lower blade even come into play... the illustration in the instructions looks to indicate that you're supposed to trim the blade halves shorter, rather than just cracking it in half like you would for a shavette, that would definitely allow setback and might even let the upper blade sit correctly in the original plastic top cap (assuming that the corner blocks of the cap are intended to correctly index the upper blade overhang, rather than spaced to accommodate a normal blade).

Has anyone tried one that way yet?

The razor OP talks about is called Saiver and it is really a decent shaver if loaded like this: cap -> blade separator -> blade -> base plate -> handle. Thus it is loaded with only one blade. It is a really smooth but efficient shaver in this configuration.

I have many Saiver razors because I buy them for their handles. I like lightweight handles and I use their handles together with other razor heads.

Got 2 different models of the double blade Russkie razor. Neither shaves worth a darn since the bottom plate is warped.

I had one. In order to get it to work as-designed in a twin blade configuration I had to take a dremel to the top of the post.

Fun to use it once, and as @engblom notes some of them come with a nice light aluminium handle, but the head's in the drawer of shame and unlikely to see the light of day again.

Interesting. I couldn’t resist trying that spacer so I ordered one on these razors on eBay today. About 10-12 weeks from now I should have it. Of course if I use it in 2 blade mode, it will run through twice as many blades! Shrewd marketing these Russians.

Top Bottom