What's new

June Photo Challenge starts now ; The Moon

This month’s theme is 'The Moon'. I wanted to make this something that anyone can participate in. Moon shots can be tricky because of light pollution, a dirty atmosphere, fog, humidity, heat and whatnot. The upside is that on the right night you can photograph it a hundred times while trying to get a good shot. It will be good practice for everyone who tries. No real time frame so if you have a good photo of the moon, post it and enter the challenge. Should be interesting. Plus , I kinda waited for an opportunity to present my latest of pre-Lunar eclipse on May 15/2022. Some call it the flower moon, or Blood moon. Some of you guys probably photographed it too. My submission will be the first reply. It will have a disclaimer. Good luck fellas.

• the winner of the previous month's challenge picks a new theme and starts the thread.
  • You must be the photographer.
  • One entry per month.
  • Try and make the image a recent one, within reason.
  • The competition/challenge/assignment runs until the 24th of the Month.
  • Voting runs from the 25th to the 29th.
  • The person with the most votes is the winner.

My entry Tonight's waxing crescent moon.
P1113463-4.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@SilentAssassin, for me, a good photograph on a fixed subject is one that I enjoy looking at, not the technical skill required to take a certain shot. The friend/buddy (I don't have any) thing doesn't come into it.

I feel that serious photographic competitions often just mostly consider the technical side and not the pleasure that a photograph can give the viewer. For me, that pleasure is the main criteria.

Silent, you can certainly take that option. If you don't mind some constructive criticism though, that image was far to overprocessed, IMHO, and that may be why you did not garner the votes. you DID get a lot of likes though, and you should take that as encouragement.

Look through past challenges. sure I won a few, but there are far too many I did not, and more than a few I did not enter. I'm automatically out in challenges that pertain to fall colors for example. I'm too busy to drive a day and a half to capture images.

I do not stomp my foot and say "I quit" either. you insinuated that there is a club or something that that is as far from the truth as can be. I would like to hope my images and opinion are respected on here, but I doubt anyone on this board would consider me a friend or buddy, merely an acquaintance.

In this month's case, you and I went up against each other in very unfair circumstance. I probably have captured 3000 lunar images, and the image I presented was using a full body Nikon and a 6" reflector telescope. in this case you were probably outclassed by equipment, and my literally hundreds of hours in lunar photography. If the challenge had been Photographing a cheerleading squad, I would have never been able to produce an image that would be a winning contender. not my area of expertise.
just so happens astro photography IS my thing.

Shrug it off and come back swinging for the challenge Troy gives us. I'm already toying with the type of challenge for when I win again, and it will not be anything easy based on location

Voting in the challenge is kind of a gut thing, at least for me. The photos are almost all excellent so I just pick one that I enjoy looking at. I can't see how there is any preference for any particular person. The contest mostly attracts people who post a lot in this subforum. It's a small crowd.

for those who didn't try to shoot the moon, or tied and had exposure issues, a rule of thumb for imaging the moon is "Looney Eleven"

In other words, start with F-11 and adjust speed and F stop from there.

Top Bottom