What's new

June & July are High Efficiency Razor Months.....

karve 2.JPG

Karve CB Brass "G" plate. Fresh Kai blade to try and up the efficiency a bit. Nice combination - maybe a couple more passes than I would have preferred as cleanup, but a high quality instrument.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I would very much be interested in hearing how you compare the Wolfman 1.15 with any other efficient razors (or non efficient razors for that matter) you've used.

Put it this way... since I got the Wolfman 1.15, I have sold literally dozens of modern razors that I could not longer shave with... including Blackbird, 3one6, all of my Razorock razors except the Wunderbar and GC84, which I hardly reach for anyways. Multiple Merkur, Muhle, Parker, Maggards, and many others. I haven’t begun liquidation of my vintage collection, but I can hardly use them either. I am now prepping some Timeless and Karve razors for the BST. All razors I held in very high regard before the Wolf arrived at my den. The only razors that can stand up to the Wolf are the Charcoal Goods Level 2 and Level 3. But that’s on my face, not yours.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Put it this way... since I got the Wolfman 1.15, I have sold literally dozens of modern razors that I could not longer shave with... including Blackbird, 3one6, all of my Razorock razors except the Wunderbar and GC84, which I hardly reach for anyways. Multiple Merkur, Muhle, Parker, Maggards, and many others. I haven’t begun liquidation of my vintage collection, but I can hardly use them either. I am now prepping some Timeless and Karve razors for the BST. All razors I held in very high regard before the Wolf arrived at my den. The only razors that can stand up to the Wolf are the Charcoal Goods Level 2 and Level 3. But that’s on my face, not yours.

Thank you.

Sounds like some good stuff will be available (not that I need it). Great that you have found a razor which allows you to thin the herd so much.

Can I ask one more question? Were you going to keep any of the razors (because they're much like the Wolf 1.15) which would they be?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Do you notice the teeth from the OC much? I haven't seen much feedback from BB OC owners.

Indeed, I was surprised to find out that there is not much feedback from OC users when making my way all through the B³-thread in the "clubs/ brotherhood" subforum. I guess the simple reason is that the safety bar version is preferred by the (vast) majority of Blackbird users?! But I don't know why this might be the case, tbh. In any case the teeths of the combs don't give a reason to be reluctant of the OC, imo.

As long as one shaves with a steep angle the teeth feel indeed a tad pointy (but not scratchy or unpleasant in any other way).
Confirmed this today.

Anyway, I have been favouring a neutral angle right from the start though, by intuition. I will stick with this angle, it just works for me in a flawless manner. The level of comfort increases significantly with a neutral angle. The teeths provide some kind of gentle feedback, if at all.

Mind you, this opinion is based on three shaves only...

Happy camper here...

SOTD:
20210624_203506-01-01.jpeg

I'm going to skip my shave on Friday since the family is going to invade our house on Friday afternoon (and unfortunately there will be just not enough stubble back in my face to justify a shave on Friday morning).

Happy shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
High Efficiency June
shave 20210624_055653_2.jpg

Razor: Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan
Blade: Bolzano (4)
Brush: Omega EVO
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Complete shaving notes on the following thread:
BOSC Warriors vs The Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan - Let The Battle Begin - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/bosc-warriors-vs-the-scheermes-roedter-1909-titan-let-the-battle-begin.609465/

Good shave. :cool:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Can I ask one more question? Were you going to keep any of the razors (because they're much like the Wolf 1.15) which would they be?

I will answer you question at the end. But I will walk you through the process a bit first. Sorry for the long winded answer. In addition to answering your question, I am still trying to sort out the massive downsizing in my own head. And writing posts like this really do help me through the decision process. So I apologize if this is off topic or whatever.

I really dont think any razor is like the Wolfman WR2. Its quite unique. At least that is my experience anyway. The fit and finish of the Wolfman is as good as it gets. They are just masterfully crafted razors, and they look as good or better than anything else on the market. There is something about the design of the WR2 head that just works for me. I am about two years into my Wolfman journey, have 3 wolfman razors now, and every time I shave with one, I am still amazed. That is just magical to me. But everyone is different, and ymmv. I am starting to realize that the WR2 may be my desert island razor. The RAD killer if you will.

I am selling off lots of razors these days. I have accumulated way too many razors, and need to thin the herd. So I am now at the point where difficult choices need to be made. I need to get my modern razor collection down to a manageable level. This downsizing didnt start with shaving either. The misses and me have been downsizing everything. We are trying to liquidate the bulk of our material possessions. We are moving towards a nomadic lifestyle. The only saving grace for the razor collection is the small size. I can put a few dozen razors in a small rubbermaid tub and take it with us.

These are the razors at the top of my rotation currently. But I enjoy them because they are different than the Wolfman.

I am a HUGE Charcoal Goods fan. I have six of their razors, and i am going to keep them all for now. They are not as smooth as a Wolfman by any stretch. But there is something intangible about that shave that I really love. They just suit me well. So they will stay for now. Plus, I have a feeling that CG will not be producing any of their Level 2 or Level 3 heads ever again. And they stated as much about all their wonderful artistic handles. They all may be gone forever, and Brian may be moving on to new designs. So I will keep the ones I have a for a while.

I have an H&S N075 that isnt going anywhere. That is a mega smooth razor. It is nowhere near as efficient as a Wolfman or Charcoal Goods. But it is so smooth that one has to question if there is a blade in it. And the fit and finish of the H&S razors is top notch. A real beauty. I think H&S is the only razor out there that has a finish comparable to the Wolfman Basic Polish. (The Wolfman premium polish has no match. It is beyond amazing.)

The Game Changer 84p is another one that is super smooth. It shaves well, and looks great. I feel that it is the best of the Razorock razors, and will keep that one and the Wunderbar. The Wunderbar is staying just because it is the coolest slant razor I have used. I sold off all of my other slants already. I dont think the Lupo 95 is going to make the cut, but I only got it recently, so I will keep it for the time being.

I am keeping a few razors that are really cool, like the Mergress... or sentimental like the R89/DE89 razors that toured around the world with me. Most all other modern razors are going. I will give away anything that doesnt sell.

Lastly, out my my four Timeless razors, I will keep the 68 scallop. I have to keep one. They are unique and beautiful razors. I really love the 95, but the 68 is smoother. And I think I have my favorite aggressive razors sorted out. The 95 just doesnt shave as well as the CG and Wolfman razors. So unfortunately, as much as I love it, the 95 has to go. As I said, I have to make the tough decisions. But before I got the CG and Wolfman razors, I found the Timeless 95 to be the best high efficiency razor. If I did not have a Wolf or CG, I think the Timeless 95 would be the next closest thing. So I think that is the answer to your question.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night was the fifth shave in a row with a stainless Blackbird OC. Had at least one steep pass the past two shaves and the comb is not as comfy as a Fatip Grande’s but miles better than the comb of a zamack R41. With my low skill level and a Lab Blue, this razor’s highly efficient at neutral and shallow angles, but slacks off when the comb boops my skin. A lighter, more responsive touch might bump up the steep angle’s efficiency on this razor, but it would creep me out as it wouldn’t be my hand.

HE SOTD
Z0.JPG

DSCosmetic Z0, fresh Feather Yellow blade.
From what I have heard, a sort of stainless clone of the Muhle R41, although I think it would be overstating things to say the head is an exact duplicate. More of an homage, perhaps. I think this is my third shave with this razor and I have to say it was decent, and for what I paid (about $42?), this is not a bad value for a SS razor. It is not as nice looking as my actual SS R41 GS, but it does perform similarly. Two fairly quick passes and some buffing on the chin, done. It might be a touch more efficient than my R41 GS, but not anything like a 2011 R41.

Top Bottom