What's new

June & July are High Efficiency Razor Months.....

June High Efficiency SOTD
SOTD-L-Y_2021-06-18.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Croap: LEA Mentholated
Razor: RazoRock Lupo 95 GT Special
Blade: Personna Red (2)
ASL: Licorice and Mint SHOCKER (home brew)

A very cool shave. :001_cool:

After Rave @Raven Koenes's "Squadron Dutch Resistance" shaving soap rave... I thought I'd like to try it. But of course, by then, it was sold out everywhere (including the maker). I did a long search and finally settled on Saponificio Bignoli Liquorice & Mint. I kinda wondered why it was taking so long to get to me so I emailed the supplier only to find he was on holiday (till the 21st). There was a notice on his website but I hadn't "noticed" it. :001_rolle

Anyway, not wanting to miss out on the licorice-for-loonies scene, I ordered some licorice fragrance oil which arrived today. I immediately made my new "Licorice and Mint SHOCKER" splash. Post-shave it was a very pleasant SHOCK of instant burn followed by a lengthy freeze. Now, two hours later, the licorice is still very present... and very pleasant.
Rave, yo' da man!:punk: Thank you for your continued subliminal enabling.:letterk1:

And of course, the rest of the team were great too. I love it when a plan comes together. :biggrin:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
High Efficiency June
shave 20210618_142304_2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Brush: Omega EVO
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Goodfellas Sea Citrus
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

I need to spend more time extolling the virtues of the Fatip Lo Storto Originale. This is one of the best value razors out there - a $40 razor that is in my Big Dogs Razors Rotation. It is my favorite slant - efficient, smooth and effective enough to be a Daily Driver. The FOCS definitely rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

Eben Stone

Staff member
20210618_210238.jpg

Soap: Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash
Brush: Sawdust Creation Studios Chocolate Goodness 26mm
Razor: Blackland Dart polished
Blade: Personna Med Prep #5

5th shave with the PMP and its a little tuggy going mustache first pass ATG. Otherwise still seems sharp and smooth. I love the scent of the SW autumn ash. Skin feels fantastic.

Today was as high efficiency/high aggressive as I am able to go short of using a straight razor. The Stirling HA head is aggressive in its design, blade gap, weight, and performance. This was my second time using the HA head. The first was extremely uncomfortable using the Gillette Platinum supplied by Stirling. The 7 O'Clock yellow provided a much more comfortable shave.

As for efficiency, only two passes required. I know Rod designed this to be a one pass razor, but with the extremely light touch this razor requires, I needed two to get DFS. Left more weepers than I like to see, and felt a fair amount of sting post-shave.
IMG_20210619_083703409.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today was as high efficiency/high aggressive as I am able to go short of using a straight razor. The Stirling HA head is aggressive in its design, blade gap, weight, and performance. This was my second time using the HA head. The first was extremely uncomfortable using the Gillette Platinum supplied by Stirling. The 7 O'Clock yellow provided a much more comfortable shave.

As for efficiency, only two passes required. I know Rod designed this to be a one pass razor, but with the extremely light touch this razor requires, I needed two to get DFS. Left more weepers than I like to see, and felt a fair amount of sting post-shave.
View attachment 1283914

As far as I can tell (and I've not checked in a few days) the razor is now out of stock.

Frankly, I was tempted. However, I've read, and Stirling says this, it's strictly a shallow angle (cap riding) razor which doesn't appeal to me. Has it been your experience you have to ride the cap?

How are the ergonomics of that handle?

Looking at how the blade is clamped I worried about chatter. What are your thoughts there? Could account for weepers?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I used standard angle with a very light touch. I did not feel any chatter. It is the enormous blade gap that makes it quite unforgiving. The ST plate is much more comfortable and usable, without sacrificing efficiency. I find the Stirling ST plate more comfortable and more efficient than the R41. TBH, this is probably the last I will use the HA plate.

Although the ugliest handle, I would have picked the Austin, but it was out of stock, as I prefer an all-knurled thicker handle. The Ft. Worth to me is the most elegant looking of the three. It feels a tiny bit head-heavy, but it never feels insecure, awkward, or off balance.

Last edited:
Saturday June 19, Headshave

View attachment 1283958

Razor: Yaqi Slant with RR Super Knurl Handle
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge
Brush: Yaqi Aqua High Mountain Badger 24mm
Lather: TOBS Grapefruit
Aftershave: Stirling Orange Chill

View attachment 1283959
Yup, I am pretty sure that is going to meet the High Efficiency standards. Just looking at that razor makes whiskers fall off. LOL.

The very efficient Stirling Stainless with ST baseplate. Was going to use the HA but only 24 hours growth so decided nah. Got an incredibly close bbs and lopped off one bump. Otherwise no issues.

Stirling ST head with timeless Ti crown handle
King c. Gillette blade (2nd use)
Captains choice copper bowl
PAA switchback 400 shoat boar knot

PAA ice cube
FLS The Weight soap
FLS The Weight splash
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

June High Efficiency SOTD
SOTD-L-G_2021-06-19.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Croap: LEA Mentholated
Razor: RazoRock Lupo 95 GT Special
Blade: Personna Red (3)
ASL: Licorice and Mint SHOCKER [home brew]

A super shave. :biggrin:

I have a feeling that every current piece of hardware is a unicorn (at last!). The software is great too, but although I was quite content with only Proraso Red for ages... I'm now quite enjoying a bit of variety. I love the hardware so much that I'm not really interested in changing anything (I wonder how long that'll last :devil:).

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20210619
High Efficiency June
Razor: Charcoal Goods Mixed Metal Level 3 Gen 2 (Charcoal Goods Brass Hammered Handle)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Goodfellas Sea Citrus
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
shave 20210619_163433_2.jpg

Very efficient but still controlled and smooth. Feels wonderful on the face and in the hand. One of the best DEs in my Den! :thumbup:

Superb shave! :)

Top Bottom