What's new

June Acquisitions

Got this neat new pipe lighter today. A Chinese copy of the vintage nimrod lighter 👍. I like the brass look too.

20210607_165416.jpg

20210607_165622.jpg

My order of an MM hardwood straight and a 2 oz. tin of C & D Gentleman Caller has arrived! 2 questions:

1) The little wood (?) extension of the shank that you see in the bottom of the bowl: Will it affect the flavor of the smoke? I don't mind the scent of burning wood, and in any case I normally don't smoke my pipes to the bottom of the bowl. Is there something I should be prepared for?

2) The GC tobacco smells a little like plums, and a little like . . . rye bread. Anybody else get that?

I’m interested in what you think of GC. I’ve never tried a blend with deer tongue.
As I say, it smells intriguing and unlike any other tobacco I've whiffed. Probably I won't get to try it until this weekend; it's too hot to smoke outside in the late afternoon or early evening here. Mornings, lousy as the temps are now, make the best time.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My order of an MM hardwood straight and a 2 oz. tin of C & D Gentleman Caller has arrived! 2 questions:

1) The little wood (?) extension of the shank that you see in the bottom of the bowl: Will it affect the flavor of the smoke? I don't mind the scent of burning wood, and in any case I normally don't smoke my pipes to the bottom of the bowl. Is there something I should be prepared for?

2) The GC tobacco smells a little like plums, and a little like . . . rye bread. Anybody else get that?
The wooden stem will impart the taste of birning wood for the first few smokes but once thoroughly charred, you won’t taste it any longer. Something you just have to bear for three or four smokes to the bottom of the bowl.

The wooden stem will impart the taste of birning wood for the first few smokes but once thoroughly charred, you won’t taste it any longer. Something you just have to bear for three or four smokes to the bottom of the bowl.
So it might not be a good idea to try the Gentleman Caller in it for those first few smokes? Or will I get the flavor of the tobacco for, say, half the bowl, before the burning ember gets down to the wood stem?

So it might not be a good idea to try the Gentleman Caller in it for those first few smokes? Or will I get the flavor of the tobacco for, say, half the bowl, before the burning ember gets down to the wood stem?
Usually only get that char flavor at the bottom of the bowl 👍. Alot of guys stop the bowl once that flavor hits as an indicator. Its not too bad though. I wouldn't let it stop you from smoking what you want it the pipe.

Last edited:
Usually only get that char flavor at the bottom of the bowl 👍. Alot of guys stop the bowl once that flavor hits at an indicator. Its not too bad though. I wouldn't let it stop you from smoking what you want it the pipe.
Well, I want to try the GC, and I bought this little pipe expressly for that. So full speed ahead. I can always smoke half the small bowl to start with.

Saw these for first time in the grocery store so I scored a dozen. Maybe I'm just behind the times?
IMG_2854.JPG

I don't know how they'll work for long term storage. It's too late for me to find out as I'm already all in on rings and metal lids; however, my favorite salsa comes in a stock mason jar with standard threads so the new lids fit. The jars are fine for any storage after a little boiling water and dishwater action. These will make excellent inexpensive storage vessels for open tins with the new lids.
IMG_2855.JPG

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Saw these for first time in the grocery store so I scored a dozen. Maybe I'm just behind the times?
View attachment 1279632

I don't know how they'll work for long term storage. It's too late for me to find out as I'm already all in on rings and metal lids; however, my favorite salsa comes in a stock mason jar with standard threads so the new lids fit. The jars are fine for any storage after a little boiling water and dishwater action. These will make excellent inexpensive storage vessels for open tins with the new lids.
View attachment 1279635

Those might be fine for long term storage, too. It depends on the seal material and the permeability of the lid material.

With an uncertain seal, for a temporary solution at a minimum, cover the container mouth with Saran Wrap (cling film for those outside the US), before fastening the lid. It won't fill a gaping opening, but it provides a pliable food-safe seal and will fill any irregularities and small gaps. It's more difficult with screw tops, but it can be done with care.

That should help until you can find traditional mason jar supplies if you need them.

FWIW, I use a super wide-mouth 64oz Ball jar from ACE for whatever I am smoking in bulk. It's a huge aluminum lid with a push-on durable seal. It is not long-term tight. It may not even be perfectly air-tight. But it is great for puffing away 8 oz of Duke Albert over a few weeks or a month or so. I think it cost $8 or 9.

1440070017 Ball Super WM Half Gallon 1.jpg

Top Bottom