What's new

June 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still out...

Muhle R89 Purist Briar Wood
Muhle Stainless (6th use)
AP Shave Co Cashmere
Muhle Grapefruit & Mint with matching splash

Another very good shave but I think the blade may be close to done.

IMG_20230603_164448812~2.jpg
The 6th shave is pushing it for me on most blades too. Wish it was 7 to make it an even week but 5 seems to be the magic number on so many blades. Is this planned obsolescence?😁

I will wait to see what the-thread-boss has to say. He's probably disgusted with this group. :glare:

Good news is I fell hard and treewhaled yesterday. Leaving me in the position of no longer needing anything. Or really wanting of anything shaving.
Brandon, @FoolishMortal, our GREAT GRUME Leader will encourage you to stay around and keep posting.
I hope you do so we can all enjoy your postings and pics of your new goodies.

Still in. Tonight’s shave went as follows:

Pre-Shave: Warm face wash
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (9)
Blade: Gillette Permasharp (1)
Brush: FS 3-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap: C&S Oxford & Cambridge

Post-Shave: Alum Block
Lothur Calm AS Splash
Bart’s Unscented ASB (forgot to picture it)
C&S Oxford & Cambridge Cologne

Fancied a lavender scented shave so went C&S, the Valobra made stuff. What an excellent performer. Lovely effortless BBS finish with no drama. On to the next one

😎😎😎😎😎

Attachments

• IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Preshave: Hot tub and face scrub
Soap: stirring margaritas in the Arctic
Brush: DIY badger.
Razor: Flexi w/ GSB (1)
Post-shave: Floid Genuine
9.5/10

I continue to be impressed how smooth and efficient the Flexi is. I purchased an Henson the Same day, the AL13+++. Both good razors but the Flexi is so smooth and so much less effort to get the tuff whiskers down. Man what a good razor. My R41 is getting jealous.

Day 8, 26.7% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Hyaluron

Back to MWF (original tallow formula) for this week. Provided you get the hydration right, shave performance is as good as SV.

I was in the mood for an easy win, and the Game Changer obliged. A comfortable near-BBS.

I am still in but looking for advice or support or accomplices.

I enquired with a local (Aus) online seller about some tallow contining Tabac they had on their website, I have Tabac but only the new formulation. Unfortunately they advised they only have the new non-tallow version but that if I was interested in tallow soap they do still have some MWF with tallow. :001_unsur

I have never tried MWF but I know it is an iconic soap and the tallow versions are disappearing fast.

Should I break my first GRUME for some potentally never to be seen again tallow MWF or just live in permanent ignorance of how good or bad this soap was. Given if I get some and love it, it will be in the knowledge I can't get more... Or is it better to have loved and lost rather than to have never loved at all...

Last edited:
Should I break my first GRUME for some potentally never to be seen again tallow MWF or just live in permanent ignorance of how good or bad this soap was. Given if I get some and love it, it will be in the knowledge I can't get more... Or is it better to have loved and lost rather than to have never loved at all...

There are plenty of great soaps; tallow and non-tallow. Why fail at the first hurdle when nothing is really at stake? Hang tight, brother!

I enquired with a local (Aus) online seller about some tallow contining Tabac they had on their website, I have Tabac but only the new formulation. Unfortunately they advised they only have the new non-tallow version but that if I was interested in tallow soap they do still have some MWF with tallow. :001_unsur

I have never tried MWF but I know it is an iconic soap and the tallow versions are disappearing fast.

I haven’t used MWF but I ran for the tallow Tabac as I knew its performance and am happy with the scent.

Reading threads here people praise and cuss MWF. Super performance vs. being finicky to lather. I decided to leave it as I have stocked other tallow soaps to last me a good while.

If I’m not mistaken Haslinger Schafsmilch comes up quite often as a readily available alternative.

Seeing that you have never used MWF @PersistentlyBlunt I think you are experiencing FOMO more than anything. You already have great soaps working for you and there are many other great soaps that have gone unobtanium for various reasons. Some get good praise as well, but I just know them from the pictures. MWF is a nice soap indeed, but not “stocked up to the ceiling” nice - at least not for me.

That said I have broken GRUME to get a puck of tallowed Tabac to join Tabactober. Never used that before too - now I know. And I should have stayed in GRUME…

Guido

I'm very certain for myself that it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. That goes for relationships with people though. It might also apply to something you've always dreamed of having. In my case it was a specific car. I had the car, and I later sold it. I didn't really want to sell it, but I also didn't drive it very much either and it wasn't really expensive but wasn't cheap either, if that makes sense. I'm less certain that this philosophy applies to shaving gear unless it's something you've always wanted for a significant portion of your life 😉.

Regardless, no judgement from me if you break the GRUME. I'm certainly no saint in that regard either.

Thank you all for talking me down off of the click and collect ledge.

I feel sanity restoring and yes, the shaves will go on without MWF tallow or no tallow.

I am still in and staying in for now.

Thanks again, the GRUME will continue.
Good call.

MWF was a good soap in the tallow based formula, but not a stellar / epic one (imho). The pucks tend to crack like desert soil if you didn't lather the puck regularly.

There are plenty of even better vegan/non-vegan options available.

You are not missing out... !

Last edited:
Date
365 daily shaves
160/365
GRUYERE
160/363
GRUME June
07/30
SOTMC
09/30
High Efficiency June
09/30

RazorBladeBrush
Fatip SE OCGillette Platinum (10)DVH Synthetic
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Haslinger
Sandelholz

Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)8/10 (One nick)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS)9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to these shaves:

General - fantastic shave with my beloved Fatip Piccolo. 2.5 passes to a blissful DFS, maybe even DFS+. The blade appears to nearing its end of life, but still felt smooth. ATG remains the challenging pass with this blade.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom