What's new

June 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!
IMG_20220630_140016.jpg

@cryhavoc and @FoolishMortal I know I said I would give the Veg a second try today but I just couldn't do it. I even got as far as opening the bottle and putting it in my palms when the scent overtook me. I dumped it down the sink, washed my hands twice then went for the Booster Polar Ice. The Veg did not pick me!

Well, I blew it with hours to go in June. Bought a small tube of Nivea Sensitive in Greece. I suppose I could have waited until shipping out tomorrow, but… First shaving purchase since summer of 2019 (Haslinger in Chicago at Merz). Jumping back on GRUME for July…
C1F51A15-D3AC-48E6-B7EF-6523B680158C.jpeg

Still in!
View attachment 1480817
@cryhavoc and @FoolishMortal I know I said I would give the Veg a second try today but I just couldn't do it. I even got as far as opening the bottle and putting it in my palms when the scent overtook me. I dumped it down the sink, washed my hands twice then went for the Booster Polar Ice. The Veg did not pick me!
When you are not one of the Chosen, down the sink is a popular destination! :lol:

SOTD #28

This has been a fantastic month of shaving.
For those looking to restock this is an incredible soap and the blade is no slouch.

I mean I find the Wizamet's fairly equivalent, don't get me wrong, but just over a 1/2 month's use and it is still smooth and comfortable, as much as it is effective.
  • No Pre-Shave
  • Floris No. 89 (SOTM)
  • Simpson’s Special - Pure
  • Mühle R89
  • Polsilver SI (16)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Nivea 2 in 1
  • No Post Balm

today I finally used up the last of my Mühle Sandalwood shaving Stick, it served me well, even if it did not actually smell of Sandalwood.

I have about 1/2 stick of SeaBuckthorn that I keep at the ready, atop the counter - comes in handy for a boost to a 3rd pass or for a cleanup pass.

Last edited:
Final shave for June 2022 GRUME
Pre-Shave: Warm face wash
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4)
Brush: Frank Shaving 3-Band Silvertip Badger
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack
Soap: SV Felce & Klar Seifen Lemongrass
Post-Shave: Alum Block
SV Felce AS Lotion
Castle Forbes 1445 ASB

Back to normality after the disappointment of the Gillette King C blade: Wilkie performed as expected yielding a BBS result. Felt a bit adventurous again hence the mixing of the soaps. This yielded lovely thick, dense, creamy lather which IMO definitely improved the shave.
Another GRUME completed. Onto July GRUME.
Let’s smash this one as well fellas 😎😎😎😎

Day 30, 100% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #6
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Back to the .84 again, to finish the month with a near-BBS.

Got the MWF down to 52g net, so I ought to be able to beat it next month.

I'm planning to take July off from GRUME, but good luck to everyone taking part.

Back to normality after the disappointment of the Gillette King C blade

Shows how YMMV it is, because they were smooth and docile here — overpriced though, I'd agree.

Last edited:
It’s been a good month, no frivolous purchases, and I was forced to think about using what I have. Didn’t restock my soap and found out my friend’s discard, passed on to me, is really not that bad (I may be good for soap through most of August). I discovered I have some good razors (and one dud), nice to use them instead of looking just forward to my next purchase. (Almost slipped and bought a razor that I don’t need yet.) I decided that most of my vintage razors are easier for me to use than my Parker Variant, so I may be offering that up for trade soon (any interest?)
Today’s shave, my best razor, an early postwar Gillette tech. It is also my best looking razor, and maybe the magic is that it came complete with an old Gillette Blade dated to the quarter of my birthday. Blade: Feather Hi Stainless #40, and still getting a DFS. On to July!

First time with the King C blade and it left a few too many weepers for my liking. Got a DFS shave but not the customary BBS. I’ll give them another go but initial thoughts are based on what they cost they are expensive and maybe not as good as say Nacets.
Anyway happy Sunday all, almost there 😎😎😎😎
KCG doesn't work as well for me in the R6S as other blades. In that razor, I prefer to use either a Med Prep or Nacet.
Not sure why, but certain blades with the 5Plate tends to weep me as well.

KCG does perform very nicely in my GameChanger and R89s (Mühle, Heritage, KCG); somewhere in between the Gillette Platinums

Well, I blew it with hours to go in June. Bought a small tube of Nivea Sensitive in Greece. I suppose I could have waited until shipping out tomorrow, but… First shaving purchase since summer of 2019 (Haslinger in Chicago at Merz). Jumping back on GRUME for July…
View attachment 1480927
If you were out-of-town and it was a need for the shave, then you're fine.

However...I feel confident that you know this, so I believe you when you say you're out. Nearly there - that would be about 29.5/30 which is pretty dang good! It's also very impressive that you had gone nearly three years without a purchase!!!

And when a brother stumbles at the finish line, it's time for one last...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
3) Multum in parvo - out (6/21: @Rosseforp Handle)
4) @iver
5) @LJBraaten
6) @Balin
7) @Doti B
8) @Kyle89
9) @Chef455
10) @cryhavoc
11) @Roedeer
12) @hopper_64
13) @Chad3 - out (6/20: Blades)
14) @Guido75
15) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
16) @ChriWilson - SOTM
17) silverlifter - out (6/27: Straight)
18) @sarir97
19) @Heron
20) leverspro - out (6/8: Carbon Razor)
21) @sandorfi - SOTM
22) @Herrenberg
23) @Contact_vs_Feedback
24) @Dodger59
25) @Jack Goossen
26) @mattps1
27) @La Malice
28) @cantujm
29) @Timeclo
30) FL shaver - out (6/30: Nivea Cream)

That puts us at 25-of-30, or an 83.3% success rate. Not too shabby!

If a honing device is needed to be able to keep the blades sharp, I feel that this is fair. If new blades that fit are readily available, and you're buying the device because it's "neat", that doesn't really seem to be in keeping with the spirit of the GRUME.

That said...

Well, my low bid failed, so no purchase. In the process I discovered there are much simpler devices that are more widely available, so I may look into one of those later. But for now, shave on!

That's a great one! I just wish the recent Seiko dive watch cases were a little smaller (37mm to 39mm) for my tiny wrists. At some point, I'll track down a good-condition SKX005 :001_wub:, SKX015 or SKX025.

However...I do have a new watch inbound, too, in a 39mm case and just 12mm height. I'll post it in the WYW thread when it shows up. Oh, and I'm getting a couple of bands from martuleather.com to go with it. :)
@Multum in parvo , I managed to snag an SKX005...and ordered a couple of CNS straps for it, too. :euro:

And with the acquisition of the Baltic and this Seiko, I'm done with watch purchases (unless I see something in an antique store)...for now. In fact, I need to put a couple in the BST before I get into real trouble with SWMBO! :eek2:

Top Bottom