What's new

June 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!
IMG_20220629_131057.jpg

This is only my second time using Lilac Vegetal. I think it smells like a urinal puck and this is coming from a guy who loves the smell of Tabac! Maybe it will grow on me in time!

Still in!
View attachment 1480272
This is only my second time using Lilac Vegetal. I think it smells like a urinal puck and this is coming from a guy who loves the smell of Tabac! Maybe it will grow on me in time!
It has been said that decanting The Veg into glass goes a long way toward taming the scent.

I wouldn't know, though. I gave up after one try. I'm a fast learner.

Still in (??? I think? See below).

My #40 shave on a Feather Hi Stainless and early Postwar Tech. One more shave to tie my record, and I think the blade is fit to beat it!

The deal: I have a single edge razor in my rotation, and I am bidding on a device to hone these blades and extend their usefulness. (It’s bad enough that they already start out with a 50% handicap.) The devices are not available every day, and not something I can easily find and purchase on July 1. (If won, I would be paying in July.) I consider this a valid need, but if this knocks me out of June or disqualifies me from signing up for July I accept the consequences and will still try to avoid buying all those razors I am coveting (although it would be easier to resist temptation if I were still considered “in” 😅).

Day 29, 96.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Revisited the mild Game Changer again, with a fresh Astra, and got a comfortable DFS. It feels completely tame, but does a good enough job on one day's growth.

• 30/30 days in GRUME June (100% and we made it!!)
  • 29/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 179/181 days of 365 days of shaving (99.4%)
  • Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA)
@FoolishMortal will provide the statistics, but I like to believe we were a strong bunch this month!! Kudos to everyone who made it and love and support to the ones that found shaving gear of their liking. See you for July’s challenge!

Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:KCG with Fatip Gentile baseplate
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (6)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminium
Cream:TGS Solo
Bowl:Proraso Green
Passes:
WTG, XTG, ATG (1)
Mostly slanted strokes
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Rating:8.5/10 BBS-

Notes to today’s shave can be found here:A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11827045

Have a Great day everyone

Still in

Pre-Shave: cold water
Brush: Shavemac Beagle
Blade: Wilkinson sword classic (1)
Soap: Muhle Sandalwood shaving stick
Razor: Mühle R89
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

20220630_073552.jpg

today I finally used up the last of my Mühle Sandalwood shaving Stick, it served me well, even if it did not actually smell of Sandalwood.

Still in.
Last shave of the month this morning.

Gillette old style clone('30s)
Gillette perma sharp (4&5)
Muhle Rytmo badger brush
Barbiere de Figaro Esclusivo (SOTM)
Floid Vigoroso AS
Nivea sensitive ASB

10 GRUMES with success, 3 fails.
193 days without buying shave equiptment.

Still in (??? I think? See below).

My #40 shave on a Feather Hi Stainless and early Postwar Tech. One more shave to tie my record, and I think the blade is fit to beat it!

The deal: I have a single edge razor in my rotation, and I am bidding on a device to hone these blades and extend their usefulness. (It’s bad enough that they already start out with a 50% handicap.) The devices are not available every day, and not something I can easily find and purchase on July 1. (If won, I would be paying in July.) I consider this a valid need, but if this knocks me out of June or disqualifies me from signing up for July I accept the consequences and will still try to avoid buying all those razors I am coveting (although it would be easier to resist temptation if I were still considered “in” 😅).
If a honing device is needed to be able to keep the blades sharp, I feel that this is fair. If new blades that fit are readily available, and you're buying the device because it's "neat", that doesn't really seem to be in keeping with the spirit of the GRUME.

That said...

If a honing device is needed to be able to keep the blades sharp, I feel that this is fair. If new blades that fit are readily available, and you're buying the device because it's "neat", that doesn't really seem to be in keeping with the spirit of the GRUME.

That said...

Thanks. I can buy the blades, but I think it a shame to discard anything whose usefulness can be easily extended. (Eventually the blades might be repurposed and then recycled, but even recycling is not a completely environmentally friendly process.) I am trying to reduce consumption and shipping of newly manufactured products. That’s why I have honing and stropping devices for my readily available DE blades, and I push them for as many shaves I can squeeze out of them. (Also why I have switched from all Trac II shaving to blade shaving.)
But….while I can easily justify this as a need, I am strongly considering buying a razor on July 1 which I don’t need (it falls under the “neat device” category). Since this is a want and not a need that is being restocked, as I understand the rules it would disqualify me from the July grume.

Top Bottom