What's new

June 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Day 10, 33.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #1
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

Without a shim, it felt like I had to work harder on pass 1. It's a nice relaxing shave though (well-developed autopilot), and got a similar end result.

I got slight irritation this time, but it was probably random. It's getting hotter now.

Still in. It’s been a crazy this week, and the past few weeks, so I’ve only been shaving a couple times a week. Awesome have today.
Razor: Karve SS OC-A (pass one) SB-B (pass 2&3)
Blade: PolSilver (1)
Brush: RR400MB
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Venture
Have a great day y’all!
BB1D78C7-22E7-4BBA-A118-597A292ADF22.jpeg

I’m out - Failure to comply with the birthday rule.

I have a milestone birthday approaching and after being continually hounded for gift ideas I let a few hints slip (detailed instructions). I tried to remain tight lipped but eventually broke under pressure. The information was obtained under duress. I feel a little cheated by this. No money changed hands but fair’s fair. Now the hard work begins of trying to stay in as much as possible when you are actually out.

Last edited:
Still in, tried using a shallower angle with the Rocca today which seemed to work well.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins & Brimble Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Softening Shaving Cream.

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Hylamide SubQ Skin Serum
- Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Cooling Post-Shave Water Gel
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Muhle Rocca
- Israeli Red (3)
- Goodfellas Smile Wild Hog

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented

I have a milestone birthday approaching and after being continually hounded for gift ideas I let a few hints slip (detailed instructions). I tried to remain tight lipped but eventually broke under pressure. The information was obtained under duress. I feel a little cheated by this. No money changed hands but fair’s fair. Now the hard work begins of trying to stay in as much as possible when you are actually out.
You're doing this the right way. My DMs are always open, man, and I'm sure most other guys' are as well. You're not out there wandering the wilderness alone. Oh, and Happy Birthday.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.

To be fair my family didn't exactly have to pull out my fingernails to get me to spill the beans on what I wanted for Father's Day (that's one reason I am not in this month's GRUME) although in my defense I did manage to point them towards the best deal on a Rockwell 6c and a sale on Razorock soaps

It sounds like you fought the good fight, but got overwhelmed by unrelenting friendly fire. It happens to the best of us. The only real bummer will be if the hinted-at item(s) don't come through!

Happy birthday in advance. I do hope you'll continue to hang out in the thread.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @henrickd - GRUYERE
3) @Roedeer
4) @SharpieB
5) @Owen Bawn
6) @Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
7) @hopper_64
8) @Sotiris_A
9) @Doti B
10) Tomo - out (6/10: Birthday hints)
11) @Schnitzel52
12) Cino - out (6/2: Rocnel Sailor)
13) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
14) @wmadoty - GRYYERE
15) @FL shaver
16) @sandorfi
17) ‘Bout Time
18) @linty1
19) @Abz88
20) @mattps1
21) @Sinnbad11
22) @12stones
23) @redrako
24) @pdieten - GRUYERE
25) @Herrenberg
26) @RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB
27) @La Malice
28) @Wetfred
29) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
30) @Noveskeshepherd
31) @Timeclo
32) @JWCowboy - QUADSAB

I have to say, after an initial misstep, we've done pretty well so far!

Last edited:
Of all the GRUME rules, the gift one may be the toughest. When a treasured member of your family asks you what you most would like as a gift...what are you to do? Lie? Say "I know the answer, but I must not say it out loud?" Choose something that is not what you want?

"Yes, I would very much like a Chia Pet or a Furby, because I do not care at all about NOS Filarmonicas. Really."

At some point, you just have to accept that normal life knocked you out of the GRUME, for the most worthy of reasons.

Day 11, 36.6% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB + shim, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

First class result with no irritation.

I'm going to use the shimmed .68 as my everyday razor for a while, as it feels just as comfortable, but with the efficiency turned up a notch.

I like the .84 safety bar, you can't argue with the excellent pass 1, but I found it a bit much for ATG neck shaving. The shimmed .68 might be a stepping-stone to enjoying the full upgrade.

Have a good birthday, @Tomo, and show us what you got.

Top Bottom