What's new

June 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still In

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower,
Lather: Mike's Natural Orange, cedarwood & Black Pepper ,
Brush: DS Jade Maggard 24 mm 2-Band,
Razor: Maggard V3 Barberpole,
Blade: Super-Max Super Platinum (2),
Post-shave: Stirling Orange Chill,

Summer citrus baby!

Citrus shave soap, cream or aftershaves remind me of what wet shaving has done for me. Before becoming a wet shaver, I would have been perfectly content with whatever scent was in my canned goo. Now I enjoy floral aromas, refreshing citrus scents as well as the traditional barbershop scents I started out with.

Still in

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : none trying to see what the cream can do for me on it own
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Nivea blue tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Voshkod (1)

Post : alum block and then Nivea sensitive after shave balm cooling effect

Second shave of the month. against any sense I decided to do a 3 pass shave and result were lower than Wednesday, more nick and alum feedback.

Next shave on Monday, I will go back to the Proraso White cream and see if I can see any difference with the Nivea one. So far looks like the cream is finer on my face but provide more residual slickness for the clean up than Proraso, the smell today did not bug me at all this is already that

Friday still in
proxy.php

Paladin PK47 briar/ DG Confluence AS &soap/
Rex Ambassador w/ Gillette platinum/ Nivea post balm

Should be getting my Paladin Cleo today (ordered last Friday pre June restraint) so I used my PK47 in anticipation

Hope everyone is having a great day!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still in, just a quick single pass shave today,

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins & Brimble face wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Cyril R. Salter Shaving Soap

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Hylamide SubQ Skin Serum
- L'Occitane Cade After-Shave Balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Parker 25C
- Vikings Sword (4)
- Zenith 80B

How are you liking the cooling version? I’m due for another bottle (next month 😉) and am thinking maybe I should try.
Howdy,

This is only my second time using it, I would call it mild and non lasting, the jury is still out on how I like it. At less than $6 at the local grocery store I will not regret my choice either way. For an early morning shave or evening shave in this part of Texas, that should be fine, but a middle of the day summer shave might requires something stronger. I have a bottle of the blue kind I picked up for less than $3 on sale a few month back but the small test did not got me excited. I guess that one will be given away at some point.

Still in, with no shave today. I find days I’m not shaving to be harder from a restraint perspective. When I do shave, I have my stuff and can use it. When I don’t shave, I think about other things I could buy to have and use on the days I do shave.
I think that you can somewhat reduce your withdraw issue by getting a good sniff off of your brushes ... sure you might look like a junkie but whatever can help ...

@La Malice, It’s definitely run from air-conditioned house to air-conditioned car in my part of Texas too. But there’s no post-shave balm that will fix Houston heat and humidity, so I’m just looking for another option that feels good on my face for awhile 😉

I feel ya, I am in Austin and the rain we got for the last month sure make it harder when it gets hot, at least I can find some comfort knowing my fishing hole in the creeks around town will be filled up and that once the rain go away the humidity too, it will just be hot. Hang in there, I heard November is just half a year away.

I’m just looking for another option that feels good on my face for awhile 😉

I would say I am getting a good 30 to 45 minutes of light cooling effect probably enough for my work commute when I get back in the office in September, now 30 minutes in Houston might be short for you. As said above for less than $6 tax included at my local HEB I do not feel bad about the purchase, the balm still works great on my face.

I gotta say I was expecting something a tad more stronger and will must likely get something on resupply day in July that will be stronger, I will likely get a stronger cooling shaving cream too, now I got 27 days a figure out what I might get... time to hit up the folks on the forum and peruse the interwebs for the best deal

Last edited:
Like the new avatar pic of Phil Lynott, big Thin Lizzy fan.
I was a big fan years ago and just started listening to Thin Lizzy again recently as I had to learn a few of their songs. Phil was an outstanding bassist and excellent singer. Very underrated IMO but he did die very young.

His fairly complicated playing while singing reminds me a bit of Geddy Lee.

Received already? Cool. That's a very pretty, chunky razor. How does it shave for you?
Two days from "buy now" to first shave. I wasn't expecting it until next week.

It arrived with a Feather blade installed. I don't normally use Feathers because I find them harsh on the first shave. First pass on level III was predictably harsh but uneventful. I dialed it down to II for the next two passes which tamed the Feather nicely. 🪶 Ultimately, it delivered a smooth BBS sans irritation. I'll know more when I try it with my go to Pol Silver SIs.

It is a heavy razor but was comfortable in use. I just wish that adjustable razor designers would consider the eyesight of people over 50 :blink:

Top Bottom