What's new

June 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in and breaking in a Zenith boar. It's breaking in much faster than my Semogue SOC did last time I was in GRUME!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Softening Shaving Cream.

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Hylamide SubQ Skin Serum
- Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Cooling Post-Shave Water Gel
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Parker 25C
- Vikings Sword (3)
- Zenith 80B

Day 2, Still in

Gillette New RFB
Bolzano (3)
Proraso (Omega) Boar
TOBS Grapefruit
Razorock XXX

IMG-2667.jpg

Well a new month has started and the first shave is in.

After testing 13 blade in the last few months it was time to see how well I did. At the end of the day 3 blades came on top for me, probably not the sharpest one around but sure gave me the best non irritated feeling after the shave and for me this is what I want. I do not need BBS or any other acronym must human being don’t understand, just a nice post shave feeling and a result I am happy with.

For for the next 3 month I will use 1 type of blade for a full month and then move on to the next one. I had all the intention to buy a couple of sample soap from Stirling company and then decided to stick to what I have on hand. Mind you unlike must of you I am by no mean a hoarder(no hard feeling intended), all my shaving gear can be stored in a shoe box. Yeah you read that right. So for this month I will used the set up in the picture as well as the brand new Nivea sensitive balm cooling effect I bought yesterday evening after I took that picture. After all I am in Texas and the temps are not gonna go down for a few month. On top of that I have a tub of proraso green preshave and a tube of Gillette pure cream.

IMG-8940.jpg

As some of you may see in the picture, The white proraso tube is almost over, I really thought I would have been done with it last month, but nope still a few shave remaining in there. I did finished my bottle of Nivea sensitive skin balm hence the new one bought yesterday as a replacement (cooling effect version this time). I did finally saw the bottom of the white preshave but still quite a few shave left in it.

For the razors I will use 2/3 of my collection, the King C Gillette and Merkur 34 C and see if any of them make a difference knowing they are supposed to be pretty similar anyway.

Alright I am done with this long blurb on to the shave …. oh I almost forget the three blades are the Voshkod, Shark Super Stainless and the Zaza and I did bought a tuck of the last 2 one last night as well of off eBay, I already had the Voshkod blades on hand which is why I am starting with them. I will also shave 3 times a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, giving my ugly face a break on the week end

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Pnone trying to see what the cream can do for me
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Nivea blue tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Voshkod (0)
Post : alum block and then Nivea sensitive after shave balm cooling effect

Result :

2 pass and clean up. 1 small nick on the second pass, limited alum feedback. Happy shave to say the least.

After 4 month with the Proraso white, I am going to need some adjustment with the Nivea cream, the smell was not what I expected and the cream provided a warm feeling on my face which is not necessarily what I want this time of year. The nivea Balm was surprising at first as I could not feel the cooling effect at all, it took a few minutes to kick in.

Next shave Friday. You all have a great day

First shave of June is in the books.

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower,
Lather: Mike's Natural Orange, cedarwood & Black Pepper ,
Brush: DS Yellow Marble Maggard 24 mm 2-Band,
Razor: Maggard V3 Barberpole,
Blade: Super-Max Super Platinum (1),
Post-shave: Stirling Orange Chill,

With the exception of a few March-like days over the Memorial day weekend, we are fully into summer weather. So for me that means it's citrus time.

If the shave gods are willing, I hope to spend some time with some old Mike's Natural soaps.

This morning's shave cracks open Mike's orange, cedarwood, and black pepper, topped off with some Stirling orange chill.

The result, a top notch shave - citrus edition.

One down, 29 to go
Used a brush with a Shave Forge mixed-hair 20mm knot, VDH Deluxe, my Slim, a GSB (3) and Avon Tribute AS. Worked nicely.
I recommend giving that knot a try if you make your own brushes on a budget. Dense and firm with just a little prickle, but still offers great flow-through. Very reasonably priced, and will whip up an excellent lather with any soap.

Not in! :D

Got an order from Stirling on its way, but will still play along. Will be splitting a bunch of samples with my dad, who ya know, takes precedence over the GRUME.

My girlfriend got bitten by the Stirling bug, and I am incredibly proud to say that she's been hiding it from me, which is TOO funny. She can't make fun of me anymore LOL.

Still in. I see we have lost one already.

Had a nice little shave today. I mean that literally, it was the theme: little shave gear.
1622660241354.png

A little sample of West Coast Shaving's duck fat soap, a 1 1/2" Max Sprecher Micro razor, and the Chubby #1 that turned out to be my smallest brush when I compared.

Also a small marble shave bowl that was my only bowl for a while. The ridges are great. But I got sick of slopping lather over the sides, and picked up a generously sized Captain's Choice bowl. The marble one usually just holds a bit of water for wetting the brush as I shave.

It worked great, though. The reason is that I finally discovered, far too late, the vastly superior (IMO) Italian Barber method for making lather. Almost all of the lather winds up in the brush, just a little in the bowl, so this bowl works great. It almost feels like I got some new shave gear on the second day of the GRUME.

The Max Sprecher was an early purchase (yes, I promise I will get that rust off before I photograph it again). I was shaving with kamisoris, and thought I'd try one of his razors, but I didn't see the point of all that length. I still don't. So I got his shortest razor. It's great for fine control of details and edges, but I also find it just fine for shaving my cheeks and neck. It will never be the edge monster that my kamisoris and other harder steel razors are, but it is very competent at its job, and very easy to hone and use.

It had been out of my rotation for a while because I had dinged it on the faucet. When I finally got around to repairing it, it was so easy I couldn't believe it. I'd been honing kamisoris and a high-carbide modern steel razor and a 70 HRC Titan, and it made this repair seem like a piece of cake. Minutes instead of hours.

The Chypre was my second try at my sample bag of duck fat soaps. I really liked the lather of the first I tried, but disliked the Cologne scent. This one was far more to my taste, citrusy and woody. The lather is something special, as easy as MWF, but slicker, and really easy to hydrate. It's not going to replace SV in my heart; they are still the masters from my point of view, especially when it comes to crafting scents, but I could easily see it as being a permanent fixture.

I'd say something about the Chubby, but why bother? It's great, but you already knew that. After maybe 10 shaves, it's starting to soften a bit and go from pretty great to wow.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Well shoot, I should just jump in. There's absolutely nothing I need or should be looking at, but every time I see one of our friends from the southern hemisphere post a pic of some Squadron shaving soap I find myself sorely tempted.....

Good luck to all!

1) FoolishMortal
2) henrickd - GRUYERE
3) Roedeer
4) SharpieB
5) Owen Bawn
6) Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
7) hopper_64
8) Sotiris_A
9) Doti B
10) Tomo
11) Schnitzel 52
12) Cino
13) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
14) wmadoty - GRYYERE
15) FL shaver
16) Sandorfi
17) 'Bout Time
18) linty1
19) Abz88
20) mattps
21) Sinnbad11
22) 12Stones
23) redrako
24) pdieten - GRUYERE
25) Herrenberg
26) RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB
27) La Malice
28) Wetfred
29) Jmp63 - GRUYERE
30) Noveskeshepherd
31) Timeclo
32) JWCowboy - QUADSAB

Last edited:
OUT.
This has got to be a record. A limited batch of Rocnel Sailors came up and if I didn't get one I'm pretty sure something would have devoured the earth. I had throw myself on that grenade to save you guys from disaster. It was an act of love. Don't thank me, just remember me.
See you in July?

OUT.
This has got to be a record. A limited batch of Rocnel Sailors came up and if I didn't get one I'm pretty sure something would have devoured the earth. I had throw myself on that grenade to save you guys from disaster. It was an act of love. Don't thank me, just remember me.
See you in July?
Kyle is out just ahead of you today. 2 out on the second day might be some sort of record.

I shouldn’t talk, I almost always crash and burn in recent GRUMES, but at least I am good for a week usually! 😜

Kyle is out just ahead of you today. 2 out on the second day might be some sort of record.

I shouldn’t talk, I almost always crash and burn in recent GRUMES, but at least I am good for a week usually! 😜
Never signed up for June! :D
Still going to post and play along. My purchase this month was in the books for a few months now

Top Bottom