What's new

June 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Last night I had my last "Synthetic Summer" shave, as my Beagle is in the delivery van snaking its way to my home as I write. This group buy came at a perfect time- a real pick me up that gives many of us a new brush without violating the GRUME.
Still in!
sotd apr 15.jpeg

Out.
I felt the need to add another MDC soap and some of their moisturising oil to my setup, plus a variety of DE blades to see me through the rest of the year.
By my standards, I've done well. I avoided buying more brushes, I was toying with the idea of adding an SV brush and Chubby 2 in Best. I'm pretty sure these notions are behind me now!
You made it 86.7% of the way. It would have been great if you could have held out for the restock day, but as you said, you've shown at least some restraint - call it a win in that category. I hope to see you in July.

And when a brother falls - hopefully, the last casualty of the month - it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @henrickd - GRUYERE
3) @Roedeer
4) @SharpieB
5) @Owen Bawn
6) @Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
7) @hopper_64
8) @Sotiris_A
9) @Doti B
10) Tomo - out (6/10: Birthday hints)
11) @Schnitzel52
12) Cino - out (6/2: Rocnel Sailor)
13) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
14) @wmadoty - GRUYERE
15) @FL shaver
16) @sandorfi
17) @‘Bout Time
18) @linty1
19) Abz88 - out (6/20: Everything)
20) mattps1 - out (6/27: MdC soap and oil, blades)
21) @Sinnbad11
22) @12stones
23) @redrako
24) @pdieten - GRUYERE
25) Herrenberg - out (6/12: Iwasaki tamahagane SR)
26) @RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB
27) @La Malice
28) @Wetfred
29) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
30) Noveskeshepherd - out (6/21: Paladin brush)
31) @Timeclo
32) @JWCowboy - QUADSAB

BBS shave today on the neck with the Carbon Cx-316L. I think I finally got the touch. But, I also think that the post-shave irritation isn’t worth chasing BBS with this much blade exposure. I think it will be 2 pass from now on. I may look at a milder base plate in the future.

Astra (5)
Cella
Lee’s Safety badger
Pinaud VIBR
Nivea Sensitive

With just two days to go? Duuuuuude.
From the outset definitely a poor performance! Sometimes being in a restrained can just drag on the inevitable, the itch that can't be scratched as so forth.

While wallowing in my GRUME failure, I've managed to let go a few razors and have a few more on the way out.
I tried to sell my Rex Ambassador, as I was resolved I didn't need or want it, and of course I actually started to miss once separated from it for a few days. To me the Rex brings everyday simplicity, utility, quick blade loading and versatility with less sharp blades.

my SOTD:
Rex Ambassador set on 2
Sharp Super Chrome: I tried this thinking I could get through "Shark Week", but ATG wasn't cutting much so I don't know.
SV Manna di Sicilia: 4.3 Soap: I Opened up a new puck and SV Alder wood bowl from storage, (to me) a very nice floral scent I can see it pairing with some floral fragrances.
Simpsons Duke 3
Thayers WH

Top Bottom