What's new

June 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in...
PXL_20210617_151700298-01.jpeg

Packwood stubtail
Arko
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
4711 AS and EdC

One time I Amazoned some (one 5 pack) to a hotel I was staying at ahead of time so no checked luggage. Hotel was more than happy to receive the package and hold it for a few days until I arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may try that for my Alaska trip in a week or so. I’m going to be there for a few weeks. I have blades but I’m not sure where shipping falls on the GRUME rules. On top of that it’s Alaska. Men look like men there. Rugged and unshaved.

I may try that for my Alaska trip in a week or so. I’m going to be there for a few weeks. I have blades but I’m not sure where shipping falls on the GRUME rules. On top of that it’s Alaska. Men look like men there. Rugged and unshaved.
Mailing some blades to yourself is the same as mailing a trade to a fellow GRUME participant, or near enough as makes no difference. I've done the same and had blades waiting for me, though this was before GRUME; geez, it's been quite a while since I've "traveled"!

Given the situation, I feel that buying a (single) pack of blades upon arrival would be a "need", since you can't travel with blades unless you check baggage, which can be a needless expense and hassle. As usual, I'm open to counter-arguments.

Given the situation, I feel that buying a (single) pack of blades upon arrival would be a "need"

As usual, I'm open to counter-arguments.

Conceptually I agree with you and won’t begrudge another gentleman (or my poor teacher niece Claire who’s playing along at home) the savings of buying upon arrival but I think I have 570 years worth of blades based on my past 12 months of blade usage. 150 years if I really really pick up the pace. I think I’ll go down the mail path. I know where I’ll be for the first couple of weeks. [emoji23]

There’s a reason I’m in the GRUME, Sabbatical, am always willing to trade and randomly PIF people.

Actually Claire doesn’t get a pass. I already gave her 15 years worth of blades at her burn rate and my blade collection is going to her in my will.

Last edited:
SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (22)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • Fuller Brush of Mystery
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
The blade felt a bit tuggy/draggy on my last shave, two days ago. Upon reflection, I realized that I generally flip the blade every six shaves (since I use a six-sided die to track blade life) and that I didn't do so on the last turn of the die.

I've never been fully convinced that flipping made much difference, but I did it anyway because, hey, what's the harm? At worst, there's no benefit; at best, something good happens. If the blade edge deflects ever-so-slightly with each shave, then flipping will theoretically keep it close to centered, though I can't be bothered to flip it after every single shave.

Today's shave was far better than that of the previous shave. Similar growth, same kit, very different feel, and SWMBO mentioned that it even looked like a closer, better shave. Then she felt my face and, well, I love the "oooh...". :)

I'll keep flippin'.

Onward!

Still in.
Wrapped up my shave with Woflman WR2 1.45, Feather Blade, SV Dolomiti, Duke 3 Manchurian and Thayers.
Very enjoyable, but become a bit bloody in neck below chin in sensitive area on the ATG pass. Only the feather blades give me this result, I'm guessing it's more user folly and error than equipment failure.

I was contemplating getting more soaps yesterday, I did a stock-take to remind me I still have a backlog of 7 unopened soaps stashed away under the bed.

Day 17, 56.6% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.84 SB, Astra SP #6
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

3017ed the 2-Phase Lotion. I only have 3 more bottles of that, and think it has been discontinued.

switched over to the Colonial alum I've been waiting to try out and I really like this razor! I swapped out the handle for a timless titanium... I wish the handle was as light as aluminum (I'm an aluminum junkie) but this one has really good grip and its ok weight wise once you get going.

I'm another fan of light handles, to get the best agility. My current favourite is the Windrose RA3 (84mm x 13mm, 23g).

With this aluminium handle, my Game Changer only weighs 52g, so it combines vintage agility with a modern CNC head.

DSCN4800_compressed.JPG

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in. The cream has changed from Proraso to Estoril, but all else remains the same.

Hiking in the Presidentials soon. I’ll be mailing some blades to family in New England for a couple cold water shaves.
The Presidential Range is essentially clear of snow, except for the usual bits hiding in the crevasses of Tuckerman's Ravine. Photo of the Mt Washington summit & a detail of Tuckerman's from earlier this week. The Mt Wash Observatory is a great Facebook acct to follow.
tuckerman 6 14.jpg

linty1

My wallet cries.
Day 17, 56.6% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.84 SB, Astra SP #6
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

3017ed the 2-Phase Lotion. I only have 3 more bottles of that, and think it has been discontinued.

I'm another fan of light handles, to get the best agility. My current favourite is the Windrose RA3 (84mm x 13mm, 23g).

With this aluminium handle, my Game Changer only weighs 52g, so it combines vintage agility with a modern CNC head.

View attachment 1283259
Oh thats an aluminum handle? It looks really nice! Where did you get it? I did a quick google and I saw some on etsy and ebay? But i think they were stainless.

Still in, no shave for me today, still feeling good.

Psa: Heads up, Father's day is coming.

Still in, no problems. But I’ve been occupied with other things lately. I turned this

B21F7FD1-58BB-49C1-8494-5EAC31D9DA64.jpeg
132BA6A7-8DEC-41E0-AFAF-505EE8E968EA.jpeg

into this

932FD54B-C935-40DC-89BC-F42BAECFD08D.jpeg
BFD89784-8B5E-488F-A476-DDE20313EB43.jpeg

Spending three weeks of free time on this will take your mind off of shave product shopping.

So I used this today:

B2CA6C82-32F3-4645-8A64-4B591EA87665.jpeg

And it was outstanding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom