What's new

June 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in
Didn’t need a shave but went for one and wished I hadn’t l. No blood or anything but I think my Slim is not very well as it felt a lot rougher than either my Fatboy or Black Beauty.

Pre-Shave: Warm shower
Razor: Gillette Slim (5)
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Soap: Monsavon Bol A Raser
Post Shave: D R Harris Windsor A/S
Nivea Protect & Care ASB

Passable shave but not up to my usual standard on account of the Slim feeling rough. May need refurbishment as it doesn’t feel quite right. Plenty of burn with the splash. Not one of my best shaved tonight. Could have been the blade though. Next time I use this razor I’ll try and remember to use a fresh Polsilver. Lesson learned 😩😩😩😩

Soap: Monsavon Bol A Raser

Howdy

How is this soap ? I was looking a few weeks back on available soap in the local grocery store back home and saw that this was available for a euro and while I am nowhere near those stores I know Xmas will come and with it the usual what do you want ... at least this would be an easy cheap (albeit heavy) solution for the family .

I did as a kid 40 years ago use the bar soap and can't remember anything bad about it.

I posted my Monsavon experience here (post #14 on pg 1). I enjoy that inexpensive soap and have a few left from that trip. I also brought some of the Au Lait soap from Monsavon home. It is too expensive to have shipped and I wish I had bought more.

Still in! Monday
proxy.php

Alpha T400, SV 70th Anniversary, REX Ambassador
Gillette platinum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still in. Was only 20 hours since the last shave, but I'm trying to bring forward my daily shaves from the recent 2pm back to early morning.

Wolfman WR2 1.45OC + WRH3 90mm handle
Feather Blade (1)
TOBS Grapefruit cream, again.
Simpsons Duke 3 manchurian
Thayers WH
Osma Alum block
Frag: Amouage Myths

I'm currently trying to finish up/3017 the TOBS cream, I purchased at start of pandemic lockdowns in Mar 2020. I'm assuming it will turn/go-bad so I want to finish it before this happens.

The Wolfman with fresh feather blade was perfectly smooth, better than the Wilkinson blade of yesterday. Minimal feedback from the Alum. Having this razor will make it easier for me to declare Still In for future restraints.

Day 7, 23.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #7, GC.84 SB, Boots #?
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

A repeat of yesterday, with the .68 picking up the ATG duties. I'm tempted to stick with this arrangement, as it simply imitates an adjustable, and gets an excellent result.

Although I can't split the difference and buy a real .76 plate, I just remembered that I could try a ".78", by shimming the .68.

I can't find my old shim (which was badly made anyway), so will make a new one.

The Wolfman with fresh feather blade was perfectly smooth, better than the Wilkinson blade of yesterday. Minimal feedback from the Alum. Having this razor will make it easier for me to declare Still In for future restraints

It's good that it lives up to expectations. That should kill the RAD for a long time.

If I ordered a Wolfman, I'd find it difficult to choose a blade gap.

That should kill the RAD for a long time.

That is definitely the plan, the RAD hydra has many heads thought...

If I ordered a Wolfman, I'd find it difficult to choose a blade gap.

Agree, it's part of what makes it interesting. As you use GC 0.84 there are a lot of comparisons available. The handle weight and length is another variable that is not straight forward either, and why I ended up with two handles.
I found that advice from the experts on this forum (who also float on the DFS), and taking in information over the waiting period of nearly 6 months helped me to arrive at an informed decision. I would probably be OK with the blade gap being a bit milder, and i'm at the edge of what is usable for me on daily basis.

I posted my Monsavon experience here (post #14 on pg 1). I enjoy that inexpensive soap and have a few left from that trip. I also brought some of the Au Lait soap from Monsavon home. It is too expensive to have shipped and I wish I had bought more.

Thank you. I lived for quite a few years in Paris and reading your thread I had a few memory popping back up.

Post 24 got me excited, Man the Luminers in the Olympia must have been an amazing concert, that place is one if not the must well known concert venue in France ... and then your description of Rue saint Denis brought me back to the first time going down that street trying to avoid Blvd Sebastopol that is parallel to it . It took me a while to understand where I was, only men walking down the street with Woman weirdly dress in front of all building doors ... ah the joy of the clueless young man going to the big city ...

Howdy

How is this soap ? I was looking a few weeks back on available soap in the local grocery store back home and saw that this was available for a euro and while I am nowhere near those stores I know Xmas will come and with it the usual what do you want ... at least this would be an easy cheap (albeit heavy) solution for the family .

I did as a kid 40 years ago use the bar soap and can't remember anything bad about it.
Punches way above its price point. It’s easy to lather and produces a nice creamy lather IMO. It’s not triple milled but it’s not quite a croap. Scent wise YMMV, but I am used to it now. May even use it for the rest of the month to try and finish it and move onto something else as I need to start finishing some soap. Well worth a try

Decent shave today. Got my new-to-me Carbon Cx-316L yesterday and some MoonSoaps Havana (both purchased in the BST in May! :p). This stuff smells heavenly and lathered nicely with some work! Threw in a new Astra blade, and had a go. The Carbon is much more aggressive than I'm use to so I went slow with as little pressure as I could and still needed to use the styptic a little this morning. Gonna take some practice. It's a beautiful razor though.

IMG_0499.jpg

Still in.

I've got to stop this business of shaving with two razors. It's just too much stropping. Had a compelling reason to do it today, though.
1623185679165.png

On the right, we have a Butch Harner in 52100 steel. On the left, a custom razor in CPM M4 steel.

The question I wanted to answer was: why do I cut myself when shaving with the Harner, almost half the time, and almost never cut myself with any other of my razors, not even the one that is large and massive, like the Harner?

So I shaved one side of my face with the Harner, and the other with the M4. And I think I answered my question. I even cut myself twice with the Harner (and not at all with the M4), which helped with the evaluation.

The M4 razor is sort of slick and slippery. The Harner is not. What would happen is that if my skin-stretching was not just right, the Harner would catch a bit on the skin (not on the beard), and give me a cut. With good stretching, everything was fine. The M4 just blithely slides over everything, so it's much more forgiving.

The lather, from Muhle soap, was very well-hydrated and seemed sufficiently slick. I don't think I can blame the lather. But I may do some experimenting with that.

Lesson: get better at skin-stretching.

Still in.

I've got to stop this business of shaving with two razors. It's just too much stropping. Had a compelling reason to do it today, though.
View attachment 1278838
On the right, we have a Butch Harner in 52100 steel. On the left, a custom razor in CPM M4 steel.

The question I wanted to answer was: why do I cut myself when shaving with the Harner, almost half the time, and almost never cut myself with any other of my razors, not even the one that is large and massive, like the Harner?

So I shaved one side of my face with the Harner, and the other with the M4. And I think I answered my question. I even cut myself twice with the Harner (and not at all with the M4), which helped with the evaluation.

The M4 razor is sort of slick and slippery. The Harner is not. What would happen is that if my skin-stretching was not just right, the Harner would catch a bit on the skin (not on the beard), and give me a cut. With good stretching, everything was fine. The M4 just blithely slides over everything, so it's much more forgiving.

The lather, from Muhle soap, was very well-hydrated and seemed sufficiently slick. I don't think I can blame the lather. But I may do some experimenting with that.

Lesson: get better at skin-stretching.
This kind of introspection is wonderful and, I like to think, supported by the idea of GRUME because you can focus on what you have. In your case, you can focus on getting better with what you have. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom