What's new

June 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in
Yates tonight, lots of blue. A very good shave that easily took down about 72 hours growth.
0606212031a~2.jpg

Day 6, 20% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #6, GC.84 SB, Boots, #?
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

This soap (home-made puck) is almost through to the bottom of the container.

Tried the .84 again for a change, and it was excellent for pass 1, but a bit much for neck shaving ATG. If they did a GC.76 safety bar plate, I'd buy it.

Still in.

SOTD
Wolfman WR2 1.45 OC + WRH2 90mm handle
Wilkinson Sword Super Sword-edge (1)
TOBS Grapefruit cream
Simpsons Chubby 1 Manchurian
Thayers WH

My Wolfman razor arrived today, a WR2 1.45mm OC with solid 90mm WRH2 and WRH3 handles, along with the flat stand. In my humble experience so far, it has lived up to my hopes and dreams with the vintage Wilkinson Sword blade. It all feels intuitive and well balanced with the solid handle. There is blade feel with it so exposed, which I like, but it's still smooth on the face, even ATG. It will be interesting to see how the feather blades go, it could well be that the Wilkie blades forgiving nature is biasing the initial test run.

Today I went with 2 passes. 1 x WTG and 1 x ATG, not much left after that. I received a couple of nicks and gave some blood, but otherwise no worries.

P6076263 (3).JPG

Still in

IMG-8941.jpg

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Voshkod (2)

3 day growth, back to the Proraso , 2 pass and clean up, 1 small nick, minimal alum block feedback.

Now the residual slickness difference between Proraso and Nivea is like night and day. While I can clean up with the Nivea with a little water splashed on the face, I need to reapply some lather to clean up.

I’ll do another shave with the Proraso this week and then I think I will try the tube of Gillette Pure I bought in February to see its difference with the other two.

Still in.

I have been using a Cremo shaving stick at the cottage and am really enjoying using it. Really nice soap.

But it looks very similar to my antiperspirant stick. I used it by accident today... on my pits. Actually, I figured it out after only one armpit, but still. No need for a shower now as my pits are about as clean as humanly possible. 🥴

Still in.

This is my third GRUME.

In April, I faced daily temptation, and washed out when one temptation (the brush I used yesterday) proved too much for me to withstand.

In May, the temptations beckoned, but not every day, and there were only a couple of touch and go moments. However, it wasn't exactly monkish restraint -- I ended the month with a razor (free, unsolicited) and an ordered brush (exempt Beagle) that I did not start out with.

I thought June would be the tough one, but so far it's kind of a breeze. I know, I know, famous last words. But instead of looking at offerings and thinking about what could be, I find myself wallowing in how wonderful the gear I already have is. That was sure easy today.
1623094732951.png

The huge, luxurious SV brush, the unusual razor made of high-vanadium-carbide modern steel, and SV soap. What more could a shaver seek?

I got a great shave. Pulled off some Gillette moves on the neck, and it came out even better than yesterday, mostly because I hit some spots I missed before.

This razor is inherently slick. I forgot to do my routine initial wetting of the razor, which helps it glide on my skin, and I didn't even notice until afterwards. One reason that my comparably-sized Butch Harner is on the rehab bench is that shaving with this razor seems easy, and shaving with that one seems hard. Need to make sure that the Harner's edge is all that it should be.

Still in, first ever shave with my Muhle Rocca tonight (picked it up last month on sale). Very nice first shave, a nice step up in closeness from the DE89/R89 head.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins & Brimble Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes Shaving Cream

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Hylamide SubQ Skin Serum
- Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes Aftershave Balm (sample)
- Jack Black Pro Series Face Cream

Tools
- Muhle Rocca
- Israeli Red (1)
- Zenith 80B Boar

Still in

After a quick stock take, I decided there is definitely enough soap in my six half used tubes to make it through the year and it was safe to spend some time with my Chubby 2 Super.

I gave it plenty of SMN and we had a little lather party this morning in front of the mirror. I think I would prefer the Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP but complaining about the Super is like complaining about a perfect Wagu rump steak because your mate got the last eye fillet. It’s a great brush.

0C369A77-3C43-44B8-AD33-D98C7D7F92B3.jpeg

Yesterday’s SOTD:
  • Gillette Slim (4)
  • Nacet (2)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • Fuller Brush of Mystery
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Vintage Osage Rub AS
A nice leisurely shave. The only downer is that I'm reaching the end of the Formula T Tobacco, but that's really in the "bittersweet" category, because finishing it will mean that I succeeded in using up a soap I really like. And not to worry - I have plenty more good soaps just waiting for their turn.

Onward!

4FF1BD7C-0E5D-4623-BFFC-86E336FF42B3.jpeg

Love that ^ brush @FoolishMortal !
Still cooking with Proraso and 34C/Astra SP shaves. Another cream coming mid week!
Thanks. It was a gift from my father-in-law and I love the handle (look, feel and weight). The brush works really well, though the knot is a little sparse and the glue is disintegrating. When it finally falls apart, I'll re-knot it with a nice badger/boar mix.

Top Bottom