What's new

June 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in
Fat Handle Tech
Rapira Platinum Lux
Omega 10066
Haslinger's Meeresalgen
Tech - 10066.jpg

Still in.

Pre War Fat Handle Tech
7O’clock green (4 and final)
Razorock 400 NOIR synthetic
RR SMDF soap and splash - finished what had been pressed into the bowl.
Captains choice copper lather bowl.

I have been enjoying the SMDF the last few days. I am noticing much more of a woody base to the scent from what I recall perviously. Razor blade had been decent, but was tossed after this shave, am just starting to get a little dull on one of the edges. I elected to go with the synthetic brush today to ensure I had enough lather for the full shave with what was left in the bottom of the bowl.

Good shave overall.

I have made a shave related purchase, but I am still in as this was a qualified exemption. My father in-law called wanting me to order a soap to pair with the brush and stand he purchased as a gift for my wife’s grandfather this Father’s Day. I am happy to report, I made the purchase on their behalf and had no urges to add an item to the cart for my own use.... little victories 😎
37E32756-DDD6-4115-8D1F-BA6C03BFA2E0.jpeg

Three years ago I would trade my only razor for today's shave. Núavia Rosso, about thirty seconds load and five minutes of face lathering with Mühle badger, adding water three or four times. The scent is perfect sweetness, leaves you wanting to inhale again and again, and at the same time non obtrusive, downplayed. SS Karve E SB with Bolzano, third shave. Mastering the razor took some time, and it was worth it. I didn't need any aftershave but decided to verify with alum. It was more of a tickle, definitely not stinging. Rounding up with Lagavulin, perfect nightcap.
Gentlemen, I wish you all happy shaves.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Still in. I went for what I thought was going to be a "firefighter shave" (in terms of color scheme) in anticipation of some training I have tonight, but I ended up with more of a "Ketchup & Mustard" :laugh:!!! No worries....the free food at these training sessions are usually hamburgers and hotdogs, so this shave will still work. The HRICO Kurenai GF 35 Shavette (half DE blade...in this case a Nacet) was one of my better low-cost razor investments. It's new to me, but my first shave out of the gate was nearly mindless and flawless...except for the chin, which continues to plague me no matter what shavette, sextoblade or straight razor I use. So the "Ketchup" was very nice, but the "Mustard" (A Lady's Schick Eversharp) brought home the bacon....er, I mean the DFS+ results.

The Tabac was excellent (as always) and it was lathered with a Cashmere Knot sitting in a Jayaruh custom wooden handle done in an "old fashioned" barbershop brush style (sorry no pic of the brush this time).
proxy.php

Last edited:
Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: Rockwell 6C R4
Blade: Feather
Brush: Yaqi 2-Band Badger
Soap: Whispers from the woods - All Things Nice

Still in!!! Last night I went for a mild shave for a change… 3 passes resulted in a very nice DFS..

IMG_6228.JPG

Still in

Gillette Pre-War Fat Handle Tech
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (5)
Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive in Natural Horse
Old Spice

Still in.

Mystic Waters Mysore Sandalwood
Merkur Futur, set to 6
PolSilver Super Iridium
Simpsons Colonel X2L
CC Nor'easter
Dirty Bird Scuttle
Alum Block
Proraso Pre-Shave

Achieved BBS today with minimal effort. Today is a good day!

20200617_130620.jpg

SOTD
  • Schoccolo v2*
  • Nacet (9)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • Rubberset 203 re-knotted 28mm boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
A nice, quick one-pass shave. I'm getting better at the "quick shave", which is great because I don't always have time for the full experience. I had the beginning of an ingrown hair, pulled out the follicle and then proceeded to lop off the bump. Gave me a little blood, but it was more a matter of topography than technique. I'll live.

I think I like Schoccolo v1 best, but it's time to go back to the full Schone to see what I've learned. Soon...

*Schone top cap, Piccolo base plate, Piccolo handle

Still in.

Gamechanger 68p
Feather (1)
Zenith 31mm XL Manchurian
FINE green vetiver soap and aftershave
Captains choice copper lather bowl
Old spice mug (where the soap puck lives)

Today I ventured into the spare bathroom and grabbed the display/guest shave supplies. I keep my vintage old spice mug with a puck of Fine green vetiver within. I had not used this product before. I scraped some off the bottom of the puck and pressed into the lather bowl. I expected this to be similar to Tabac as far as the lather is concerned. The scent was nothing spectacular, no wow factor, but simple and pleasant enough.

I made sure to use all the soap the was pressed into the the bowl when building the lather. Everything looked great in the bowl, I applied to my face, and it didn’t thicken up with additional painting strokes as Ifind Tabac and many other soaps typically do. Nonetheless, I tested the cushion and slickness with my finger, it seemed ok, not great, but more than serviceable. I went ahead and proceeded with the shave. I was surprised to have the razor skip and hop accross my skin as though all that was there was a little bit of tap water. I was able to make it through the shave without incident and experienced no discomfort or irritation. I will make a much thicker lather next time and see if that doesn’t improve things, face lather and hydrate on my face along the way. Once it was al said and done, I used the aftershave and found it to be quite nice. I can’t say I have a strong preference for vetiver after this experience as a lone scent note, but I can see how it plays well with building a nice scent profile.
DA424369-37C5-4F8B-9556-E3A456C8ECB5.jpeg

SOTD
  • Schone
  • Nacet (10)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • Rubberset 203 re-knotted 28mm boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
I went back to the Schone and my initial impression hasn't changed - it's just not that efficient. I'll try a few more times, but I believe that Schoccolo v1 (Schone top cap, Piccolo base, Schone handle) is the best configuration for me.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Still in. Took a breather from SE, Straights and Shavettes, and just went with a nice mild DE. This one is a "National" -- not much info on it. Soap was residual left in the container (Gothic Fougere) -- great scent, but only enough left to build a cursory 2-pass lather, which is all I needed. Brush is an Elite Razor Jadeite Manchurian White Badger. Great 2-pass and a slight clean-up for a very nice DFS!!!
proxy.php

Still in

Gillette Pre-War Fat Handle Tech
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (6)
Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive in Natural Horse
Stirling Baker Street aftershave

Still in

Rockwell 6S
Edwin Jaeger Super Badger
Proraso Preshave Cream
TOBS & The Fat