What's new

June 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

SOTD
  • RR Mission
  • Nacet (6)
  • Formula T Tobacco
  • Rubberset 203 re-knotted 28mm boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
Great lather again, but one little weeper. I think that while this soap is slick, the cushion might not be great. I seem to get one or two nicks per shave, which I don't remember happening with Tabac or Arko. I had thought that switching to the Schoccolo v2 might be the culprit, but changing to the Mission for the last couple of shaves hasn't changed the pattern. I may need to go back to my failsafe, the Slim, to test this theory further.

Still in

Gillette Pre-War Fat Handle Tech
Personna Red (9)
Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive in Natural Horse
Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

Still in, one day at a time.
Recently I made a good decision to kill off bits and pieces of soaps and creams. Yesterday I made even better decision: go back and stick with the best soap I've found so far. Both decisions have certain advantages but yesterday's wins. Two reasons why: life's too short, and I am convinced that my go-to Núavia is the bees knees.
This seemingly unimportant event made me think of a larger than life issue: differential approach, and how to use one. I mean, if we'd be sticking to ain't-broken-don't-fix-it principle - I'm sure we'd be still swinging off trees, or better yet, swimming in primordial oceans. Chasing the next best thing, fear of missing out as it were, got us to a point where we are sending men into space AND have to swear off a relatively harmless and pleasurable experience of acquiring shaving tools.
So where and how do we differentiate?
I'm going to pour myself a nice measure of Lagavulin.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Still in. Hawk V3 OC -- 2nd time I've shaved with it (maybe 3rd, stuff runs together) and it was outstanding!!! No photographic evidence, but here are the details: RR Hawk V3 OC, Titan Mild AC blade, Jayaruh wooden handle with a nice cashmere knot, and Men's Soap Company Bay Rum. This razor gives me a fair amount blade feel, but no weepers, no irritation and no post-shave sensitivity; and I think it may be the most efficient razor I have ever used. 3 passes and my skin is smooth....I mean REALLY smooth.

Still in

and resisting the urge to try my hand at Jnats. I keep telling myself that I don’t need them and they probably won’t be any better than my current diamond balsa strops which work great. The trouble is that I will only ever know that for sure if I try them. I’m sure that I can wait a few more weeks.

Still in.

Gillette Pre War Fat Handle Tech
7O’clock green (2)
SMDF soap and aftershave
Zenith 31mm XL manchurian
Captains choice copper bowl

Excellent shave today. Polar opposite sensation fro the7O’clock green in my tech compared to last shave in the GC 84 JAWS. This was very smooth today and better than average efficiency. It has been quite a while since I've reached for the SMDF set. I have been saving it for warmer weather.ni forgot about how cooling this soap is in the face, so that was a pleasant surprise.

The zenith did a great job loading and starting the lather from the captains choice bowl. I have been surprised by the soap and brush today by how well the brush created and released lather and how far the SMDF went. Full disclosure, I have enough soap left in the bowl for two more shaves with this monster brush. I only used a little more than normal in anticipation of the brush requiring it. Today lathering on the face was mostly painting strokes compared to my normal 50/50 swirl and paint technique. There is no discernible scritch from this brush when painting, and today’s swirling, I felt a reduction of scritch from the knot. I anticipate another 3-4 shaves with this brush and it will be as soft as the 28mm.

19533B7E-F44A-4347-B4E2-E3542255A74D.jpeg

Still in but is was close today. I finished of my Aqua Velva Ice Blue and was tempted to pick some up while I was out today. I was able to resist and will have to survive until July 1 without it :cursing:

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (1)
Arko stick
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

@cryhavoc
Rules allow for acquiring a replacement in case you ran out of a product. So if you haven't got another aftershave, you're good to get some.

Today I've seen the glint of porcelain the middle of Núavia bowl. As the soap was funnel shaped and soft, I pressed down the outer ridge to even up the surface, closing down the opening. I think there's about an ounce left, and I'm readying up the replacement - Boellis, and at the same time feeling a bit sorry to see the Núavia go. It's been a year.
I think I've mastered my SS Karve, both plates OC-C and SB-E. Time to bring out the Feather blade.

@cryhavoc
Rules allow for acquiring a replacement in case you ran out of a product. So if you haven't got another aftershave, you're good to get some.

Today I've seen the glint of porcelain the middle of Núavia bowl. As the soap was funnel shaped and soft, I pressed down the outer ridge to even up the surface, closing down the opening. I think there's about an ounce left, and I'm readying up the replacement - Boellis, and at the same time feeling a bit sorry to see the Núavia go. It's been a year.
I think I've mastered my SS Karve, both plates OC-C and SB-E. Time to bring out the Feather blade.
I have plenty of aftershave, AV is just one of my favorites. I'll find a way to get by till July :thumbup1:

Still in, and still trying to improve the XTG/ATG/cleanup experience, which I often did with the plastic Wilkinson Classic.

Two razors in play:
Rockwell 6C, R5, not-so-new Personna, for the easy stuff,
Rockwell 6S, R3, Astra SP (7), for everything else.

That worked nicely again, and plays into a longer-term plan to get another 6S, maybe the black one. I certainly don't need it before July, though.

Still in

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (2)
Arko Stick
The VEG

Still in.

Gillette Pre War Fat Handle Tech
7O’clock green (
SMDF soap and aftershave
Zenith 31mm XL manchurian
Captains choice copper bowl

Same shave as yesterday. The blade is still performing well and feels great in the pre war tech.
D060188F-8AB1-43CA-9616-FF587C3F7F5F.jpeg

Still in.

Merkur Futur set to 6
Tiger
Klar Kabinett
CC Venture

A near BBS. The last time I used the Tiger blade, the shave was pretty rough. I think it may be because it was in the PAA Alpha Ecliptic razor. It worked like a charm in the Futur. Overall, a good shave. I give it a 9.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm still in, but not for lack of trying :blush: !!! I will confess to making a move on a razor in a BST in another forum, but fate stepped in and I was too late. It would've been nice to have, but goodness knows I did NOT and do NOT need another razor.

In fact, here is today's shave: Gem Junior with a Baton handle (often referred to as a Parade) and the Gold Dollar that I am still trying to master. The cream was CRS Rose lathered with my very first brush (RazoRock Plissoft 24mm). The end result was a no-nick, no-weeper and irritation-free shave for a 3-pass DFS+ (most of the first pass was done with the GD, and Junior did the rest of the shave)....just a really nice shave!
proxy.php

SOTyesterD
  • RR Mission
  • Nacet (8)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • Rubberset 203 re-knotted 28mm boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
Nice and easy this time. I took a quick shower and had a quick shave so that I could get out the door for a scheduled motorcycle ride. I don't even know that I hydrated the soap properly/completely, but the whiskers came off and there were no nicks and there was no irritation.

Top Bottom