What's new

June 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I think I may be out. I bought a couple more trial blades from Tryablade for my SE1. So far it does better than anything I've used prior except for this one patch on my right side.

I've been on the fence about getting that SE2 plate. It may or may not get me to that little extra bit. I'm so close though, I can feel it.

Will anyone make it to the end of the June GRUME!?!?
1591815247932.png

Out. My thanks to @Schnitzel52 for recommending Legends Grooming. I went in today and got a great haircut and purchased some Taconic Shave eucalyptus mint shave soap. Alas, it did not stop there. I found a shave store that I had no idea existed in the Denver metro not too far from Legends. As it is my birthday Friday I figured I was due a splurge. I am now the owner of Colonel Clonks 1 amber and 1 lime small puck, Phoenix Artisan chocolate burboun, and CaD soap, a Gillette fatboy ($10, I couldn't pass) and a Gillette tech.

View attachment 1111102

So, happy birthday to me. Keep up the good work "grumers" . See you in July!
Wow, out with a birthday bang! I have to say, a $10 Fatboy would be sorely tempting. Looks like a really nice haul - you went out with quality. What's the story with the AoS cream?

I think I may be out. I bought a couple more trial blades from Tryablade for my SE1. So far it does better than anything I've used prior except for this one patch on my right side.

I've been on the fence about getting that SE2 plate. It may or may not get me to that little extra bit. I'm so close though, I can feel it.

Sorry to see you go, but I hope you find a blade or two that work for you. Maybe now's the time to stock up on blades, before the July GRUME.

As usual, feel free to play along at home.

And when a brother (or two) falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @pbrmhl
3) @Rustyshackelford
4) Timeclo - out (6/5: CG Maze handle)
5) @Roedeer
6) @StratMan
7) @Schnitzel52
8) @Flintstone65
9) chillybase - out (6/10: blades)
10) @Sotiris_A
11) @RTM
12) @cryhavoc
13) @k2clones29
13) @Stuart Ganis
14) @Ejones0310
15) @Tomo
16) Chef455 - out (6/9: soaps and razors)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Still in. But I've been forgetting to post my shaves....below is Monday and today's shave (skipped Tuesday):

GEMonday with a GEM Contour and my first SR shave (a Gold Dollar from a generous B&B member):
proxy.php

Today's (Wednesday) -- 2nd SR shave (same Gold Dollar) + first time with a new to me Hess Ezy Shave 1010, and a Schick G (not pictured) was called in to clean-up after the other 2:
proxy.php

Still in...

2.5 days growth mowed down today.

Gamechanger 84 JAWS
7O’clock green (1)
Tabac soap and A/S tag team
Zenith 31mm manchurian XL

Had a bit more growth than the norm today, so I went for the JAWS. I really like this razor and can use it frequently if I pair it with the right blade. I revisited the 7O’clock green blade after probably 6+ months, wasn’t a favorite before, and I liked it even less today as it felt rough and scratchy. Nonetheless I got an excellent 2 pass, no touch ups needed, shave with ZERO irritation. Hopefully the blade will feel smoother on the next go.

Went with Tabac today because it has been too long. I still love this stuff. Since my 28mm manchurian has broken in quite well and feels amazing during my shaves, I decided to switch to the XL and get that knot broken in a bit with some use. Despite the size, this knot loaded easily, with no mess right from the Tabac bowl. I face lathered, finding the flow through to be excellent. This brush has less scratch than the 28mm did initially, so I anticipate this will be quicker or much softer in general after a few shaves. Face lathering with this size knot was surprisingly good and luxurious, and I was surprised I did not perceive the knot to be too big.
D07076E3-C250-4FBC-A2AE-9E296B2444F5.jpeg

Still in.
I put SJOL cream away and reached for my go-to Nùavia. SJOL is a very good cream but two things were out my comfort zone: scent, way too strong for me, and post shave. It wasn't as good as my soap. The shaves were close and irritation free but the skin felt a bit more raw than I'd like. Nùavia hits all the sweet spots.

Still in.

To avoid changing plates in mid-shave, I tried using two razors set up in advance:

Rockwell 6C, R5, almost new Personna,
Rockwell 6S, R3, Astra SP(5)

Did all the easy WTG/XTG with the 6C, and the trickier XTG/ATG and tidy-up with the 6S. This was a winning formula, as I got the best result yet. :001_smile The 6S with R3 seems to be ideal for ATG.

Nivea 2-Phase lotion didn't sting much, so no abrasion. That stuff lets you know if you've made any mistakes.

Top Bottom