What's new

June 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Still in. Very nice 2-pass (XTG,ATG) and a spot-touch-up for a DFS. Truthfully, wasn't really a lot to take off from yesterday's Cobra-Hawk shave....probably could've stopped after a single pass. Yaqi Sagrada Familia lathered up a small dollop of Godrej cream (in the orange tube).
proxy.php

Still in. SOTD:

Proraso Soap and AS
Merkur 37c
Tatra Blade
Simpsons Colonel X2L brush
Dirty Bird Scuttle
Alum Block

Great shave today. I went with a go-to setup because my last shave was so bad. Today was an efficient 2 pass plus touch-up BBS.

Still in!
Gamechanger 68p
Astra SP (7) going strong
Zenith 28mm manchurian (still breaking in)
A&E Asian Pear Soap and Splash

CAA5E4E1-9D9E-4A45-BA1F-458D2A060FBA.jpeg

Zenith is still breaking in some. I don’t expect drastic changes with this but I’ve been told to expect it to lose some harsh scritch. So far I believe it is doing just that. Scritch seems to be giving way to more of a scrub feel. The knot hasn’t really changed since after the second use in regards to shape/bloom.

Blade and razor combo is going quite well, still efficient, and I could tell on this use the blade lost the desire to bite and is at a great place for both efficiency and smoothness.

Lather was good today, but not the typical consistency I get with this base. The added hydration from the brush saw to that. Still a great lather and the lather between passes was more consistent for each.

Sad to report, I'm out.

I was going strong until the evening where my friend posted his latest purchase of a handle. I enjoyed the looks of it and when he said that this design would not be produced anymore, I got really tempted. I looked and it was on sale and had free shipping. Took me a good 5 minute to think through but in the end, I got it. Felt dirty doing so but I also didn't want to miss out. It's the Charcoal Goods Maze brass handle.

I'll be making up this deficit by selling more brushes and stuff. I'll still be out of GRUME but at least I can remain back at zero in terms of purchases. I'll try again next month.

Sad to report, I'm out.

I was going strong until the evening where my friend posted his latest purchase of a handle. I enjoyed the looks of it and when he said that this design would not be produced anymore, I got really tempted. I looked and it was on sale and had free shipping. Took me a good 5 minute to think through but in the end, I got it. Felt dirty doing so but I also didn't want to miss out. It's the Charcoal Goods Maze brass handle.

I'll be making up this deficit by selling more brushes and stuff. I'll still be out of GRUME but at least I can remain back at zero in terms of purchases. I'll try again next month.

I don't blame you. The 3" CG Maze handle is one of my favorites. My other two favorites are the 3" CG Helix and the 3" CG Hammered.

Still in!

Pre War fat handle tech
Astra (8) going strong
A&E La Cosa Nostra soap & splash
Zenith 28mm manchurian

First time out with this particular tech. I won it in an auction Sunday afternoon and it arrived this afternoon. Put it through a quick dip in the ultra sonic and she’s looking clean. Pretty good shape overall, exceeded my expectations. I had heard these pre wars shave a little different from other versions. Not sure if it’s a placebo effect, but it seemed as though it had just a hint of blade feel and on the better side of efficiency that I have known from my techs.

Overall, a nice 2 pass shave. The brush continues to break in a bit more and feeling a softer. As a boar guy trying to like badger, I think the characteristics of these manchurian knots gets me closer to where I want to be.
BB96B15B-7468-4C1D-B25E-0B73A4A6E040.jpeg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hmmm, I sense a roll call coming (CG handles are indeed gorgeous....congrats @Timeclo ).

I'm actually surprised that I am "still in". I can't seem to stop looking at the BST and other areas of temptation....but so far they haven't "gotten me"....yet. Tonight's shave was a very nice one with a RR GC .68, Astra blade, Yaqi Purple Haze 24mm Synth, and red tub Cella. It takes an extra pass (3 instead of 2), but I get a VERY comfortable DFS+!!! No pic this time, I'll make sure to post a pic next shave!

Still in.... off to mow the grass

Gillette '48-'49 NDC Super Speed
Personna Red (5)
Mike's Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive in Natural Horse
Pinaud Clubman The Veg

I am still in but I could potentially be out. I had messaged a member about his SE1/SE2 combo but he was on the fence about selling at the time. I had procured another SE1 in stainless. I asked him if he was willing to let the SE2 plate go. The only reason I have felt like jumping on this is that ATT is discontinuing its USA razors for the foreseeable future. Maybe I would find an SE2 plate down the road. I might be on the fence about getting the SE2 plate anyway because I am getting good shaves from the SE1.

I haven't bought anything shaving related for myself in this first week of June.

There's precisely one shave worth of soap left in the Trafalgar tub. The scent has gone completely, however the soap performance has not been affected by time. I'm glad I decided to kill off bits and pieces, it gives me the sense of variety one is looking for often. Plus it illustrates the point: hoarding is no good.
Fresh Bolzano in Karve SS SB-E. Two and a half passes.
Happy shaves gentlemen.

Still in!

Pre War fat handle tech for a repeat
Astra SP (9)
Zenith 28mm manchurian
SV 70th

AFCBD976-CE48-4144-BFB4-4CE42FDEBEF7.jpeg

This was my first experience with SV soap. I loved this fragrance off the puck. I found this soap to load quite easily, and the lather was brilliant. I can confidently say I had way too much. Very pleased with the water tolerance of this soap and I liked the medium density and yet voluminous lather.

Today I felt as though the zenith manchurian knot finally reached the sweet spot. This brush was gradually progressing from scratchy to soft. This shave was great, lather flowed through nicely, the brush had perfect backbone and great scrub, but the tips were just so soft. Extremely pleased with this brush today.

Still in. Liking the Rockwell R4 plate and an Astra SP on #3 to improve my technique (a near ATG on chin, and double XTG on upper lip).

Top Bottom