What's new

June 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

This restraint is for June 1-30, 2020.

If you're seeing this late and you've made no purchases in June, feel free to jump in. Registration closes on the 15th.

Have what you need and use what you have: that is our definition of "Restraint". The idea is to use, learn about and enjoy what you have, restraining yourself from making frivolous purchases. Ready to turn over a new leaf?

This monthly restraint is perfect for those who have failed the yearly or quarterly sabbatical and want to curb their ADs. Keep fighting the urges! If you fail out of the GRUME, please tell the group, take your (friendly) lumps and continue to play along at home.

There will be roll calls during the restraint. Check-ins, especially with SOTD info and pics, are encouraged and mutual support is appreciated. :)

All are welcome!

Rules:

1.a. If you were in the May GRUME, 6/1 is your restock date for any needed product (i.e., it's not an excuse for treewhaling).
1.b. If you were not in the May GRUME, you do not get a restock date in June; see 1.c., below.
1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.
2. No personal shaving purchases in June. Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle (PIF or Gifting). Members are not allowed to request any form of compensation in return. Please use your best judgement. Also, no sampling/testing of those gift items.
3.a. GIFT cards (including eBay bucks, Amazon gift cards, credit card reward points, etc.) cannot be redeemed for shaving items, even if the cards were purchased and/or received in previous months.
3.b. The "Birthday Rule": Members are not allowed to ask (or even hint) for shaving gear as gifts for any occasion.
4. Any shaving services, like replating or restorations, cannot be arranged or paid for in the month of the restraint.
5. Feel free to engage in trades (especially with each other), but don't enter any PIFs.
6. If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on the rules above.

Exceptions:
1. Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to restraints commitments, please limit B&B purchases to one (1) shaving item per month, including contributions to B&B! (All Non-Shaving B&B items are fair game.)
2. During the season, Sue Moore Items are all exempt from the-no buying rules. Treewhaling on anything Sue Moore-related is encouraged.
3. Members who are in a Quarterly or Yearly sabbatical are allowed to exercise their documented exceptions for those events without failing the monthly restraint.

Mods:
Please leave this thread in the General Shaving Discussion forum until June 5th so we can get as many as possible to see the GRUME. Afterwards, feel free to move the thread to Brotherhoods and Clubs. Thanks!

Tips:
Check out this Wiki article for tips on how to survive a Restraint (or GRUME). It includes a comprehensive checklist to help you figure out whether you've got everything you need for the month.
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Help:...ve_a_Restraint

How to Join:
Copy the entire list below
and add your number and name to the bottom. Also, you are welcome to update your signature to show you are in the restraint; for example, "GRUME - Month 2020 #1". To do so, click Settings at the top of the forum and then click Edit Signature on the left.

1) FoolishMortal
2)
3)

Good luck, all, and have fun!

1) FoolishMortal
2) pbrmhl
3) rustyshackelford
4) Timeclo
5) Roedeer

The Roedeer is in.

I can't think of anything I desperately need to get before the end of June, at least shaving-related.

The situation regarding bricks-and-mortar outlets might change, though, and I'd gladly support our local ones, if it doesn't put their staff at risk.

Pencil me in for the June GRUME, anyway.

1) FoolishMortal
2) pbrmhl
3) rustyshackelford
4) Timeclo
5) Roedeer
6) Stratman

I am in.. looking forward to it :cool:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm in.

1) FoolishMortal
2) pbrmhl
3) rustyshackelford
4) Timeclo
5) Roedeer
6) Stratman
7) Schnitzel52
8) Flintstone65

I'm in.

1) FoolishMortal
2) pbrmhl
3) rustyshackelford
4) Timeclo
5) Roedeer
6) Stratman
7)Schnitzel52
8) Flintstone65
9) chillybase

I'm in.

1) FoolishMortal
2) pbrmhl
3) rustyshackelford
4) Timeclo
5) Roedeer
6) Stratman
7) Schnitzel52
8) Flintstone65
9) chillybase
10) Sotiris_A
11)

Looking for a ruling. I sent my wife a list of shaving gear I would like as a passive aggressive way of saying buy me one of these for Father's Day. I sent it a few days ago. Does that mean I already failed for June 2020?

1) FoolishMortal
2) pbrmhl
3) rustyshackelford
4) Timeclo
5) Roedeer
6) Stratman
7) Schnitzel52
8) Flintstone65
9) chillybase
10) Sotiris_A
11) RTM
12)

Still reminding myself every single day that life should be lived well, and that includes not clicking buy button if there is no need for it.

Looking for a ruling. I sent my wife a list of shaving gear I would like as a passive aggressive way of saying buy me one of these for Father's Day. I sent it a few days ago. Does that mean I already failed for June 2020?
Ooh - that's a tough one! Thanks for asking. I'll try to exercise my "logical" muscle here; bear with me as I work through it...

You didn't ask for it in June, so you asked before starting the Restraint, and not while in the Restraint. However, the occasion is in June. I think that's nearly akin to buying something for yourself in May (out of Restraint) and having it show up in June (while in Restraint). That would normally be fine...but this is a little different, because the item (as far as we know) is not in transit and you could still tell your wife to hold off.

With all that in mind, my guidance is this: If you (specifically) receive a shaving item as a Father's Day present, you can't use it until July 1st or you fail the restraint. To be clear, any other member who did not ask for shaving gear for FD, yet receives something, is not bound by the same stricture.

I think that keeps us in the spirit of the restraint, but I'm open to other interpretations. Anyone else want to chime in?

I'm in for another month

1) FoolishMortal
2) pbrmhl
3) rustyshackelford
4) Timeclo
5) Roedeer
6) Stratman
7) Schnitzel52
8) Flintstone65
9) chillybase
10) Sotiris_A
11) RTM
12) cryhavoc

Ooh - that's a tough one! Thanks for asking. I'll try to exercise my "logical" muscle here; bear with me as I work through it...

You didn't ask for it in June, so you asked before starting the Restraint, and not while in the Restraint. However, the occasion is in June. I think that's nearly akin to buying something for yourself in May (out of Restraint) and having it show up in June (while in Restraint). That would normally be fine...but this is a little different, because the item (as far as we know) is not in transit and you could still tell your wife to hold off.

With all that in mind, my guidance is this: If you (specifically) receive a shaving item as a Father's Day present, you can't use it until July 1st or you fail the restraint. To be clear, any other member who did not ask for shaving gear for FD, yet receives something, is not bound by the same stricture.

I think that keeps us in the spirit of the restraint, but I'm open to other interpretations. Anyone else want to chime in?

Alright then, I'm in. It's going to be hard to not use anything I get until July, but I'll try.

1) FoolishMortal
2) pbrmhl
3) rustyshackelford
4) Timeclo
5) Roedeer
6) Stratman
7) Schnitzel52
8) Flintstone65
9) chillybase
10) Sotiris_A
11) RTM
12) cryhavoc