What's new

June 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Gave in while cleaning my new brushes that arrived today. I wound up having a quick but nice one pass shave with my MDC FOUGÈRE and my 28mm zenith manchurian. RAZOROCK GC68p with a 5th use Astra SP. Razorock Green A/S.

I’m in.

1) FoolishMortal
2) pbrmhl
3) rustyshackelford
4) Timeclo
5) Roedeer
6) Stratman
7) Schnitzel52
8) Flintstone65
9) chillybase
10) Sotiris_A
11) RTM
12) cryhavoc
13) k2clones29
13) Stuart Ganis
14) ejones0310
15) tomo

Third time lucky. 🍀

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Oops... I didn't do the thing...

1) FoolishMortal
2) pbrmhl
3) rustyshackelford
4) Timeclo
5) Roedeer
6) Stratman
7) Schnitzel52
8) Flintstone65
9) chillybase
10) Sotiris_A
11) RTM
12) cryhavoc
13) k2clones29
13) Stuart Ganis
14) ejones0310
15) tomo
16) chef455

There we go. In.

Razor: WR2 1.25
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Yaqi 2-Band Badger
Soap: Santal Absolut

IMG_5966.JPG

Fine Shave for me!!

Nice shave this AM

Gillette '48-'49 NDC Super Speed
Personna Red (1)
Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Omega 10065 Boar
The Veg

Nice shave this AM

Gillette '48-'49 NDC Super Speed
Personna Red (1)
Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Omega 10065 Boar
The Veg
Yesterday
Rockwell 6S
BIC chrome Platinum
Proraso Preshave - White jar
MWF + TOBS Almond with a smidge of glycerin
Alum Block
Nivea aftershave Balm for sensitive skin
Cerave AM moisturizing lotion
Kouros EDT

today, no shave. My butts dragging after a late night of little league.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
This shave was yesterday (June 1) -- and it's a double Gem. I really wanted to use the Clog Pruf, but I'm also prepping the Featherweight for a PIF, so 2-razors, no waiting....well, a little waiting since I made them share the same GEM SS PTFE blade. The soap was Meissner Tremonia's Dark Limes and it was lathered with a Manchurian badger set in an Elite Razor lapis lazuli real-stone handle.
proxy.php

So glad to be back here, I was a Glutton with a capital "G" in May. 9 razors, 2 soaps and some various shaving accessories. When I get out of a GRUME, I just go crazy....the solution for me? Stay in the GRUME!!!

Still in! Great shave today with one of my Charcoal Goods Level 3 brass razors, Stone Cottage Hesperide shaving cream, Paladin brush, Dirty Bird scuttle, Grooming Dept pre-shave, and Chatillon Lux Sni Mato aftershave.

Still in. My delayed mail finally arrived today but after my morning shave.

Razor: ATT SE1 Aluminum
Blade: Schick Proline
Soap: Captain's Choice Nor'Easter
AS: Pacific Shave Co. Caffeinated AS Balm

Nice smooth shave. I'm digging the Nor'Easter soap. Just enough menthol to tingle but not overwhelm. The scent is clean -- it reminds me of a more complex Irish Spring type of smell. At least that's how it registers to my nose.

Came home tired as ... I'm still looking for the word. Tiredness of epic proportions, the type when one is too tired to rest, and one is definitely pleased with one's day.
Fresh Croma blade in Karve SS SB-E. Old soap bits have to be used and tonight it was Phoenix and Beau's Trafalgar. This is a good tallow soap, doughnut of maybe week or less in the tub. Scent is gone but lather quality is there, easy to dial in. I start with a damp Silvertip, load lots and add water as I face lather. Two wtg passes, and I had to remind myself that this is an E plate, don't disrespect an E plate. All went well, bit more time than usual. Not complaining, just reminding myself again: E plate demands attention. Alum sang a little but no nicks or irritation. Perfect ending to a good day.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
1st shave of the June G.R.U.M.E. is under my belt.

Gillette Gold Plated Ball End Tech
Feather
AOS Bergamot Neroli
Yaqi Tuxedo

Wow. The tech with a feather blade really performed amazingly. I must admit that I was not a huge believer in the "spend $10 on a Gillette tech and be done" camp. I purchased this razor in the wild for eight bucks. I shaved with it a handful of times and came up with "meh".

Let me backtrack a moment. I joined the April G.R.U.M.E. and fell out pretty quickly. I had been escalating my razor purchases steadily for about 8 months and a Timeless .68 came up on the BST that I pounced on. So I fell out. No regrets though, I am thoroughly satisfied and infatuated with that razor.

In May I actually made it through. Yay me. My intent was to focus on acquisitions that I had made and try to determine if they were warranted or frivolous. I think what I found is they were just milestones in a journey. A journey that was, perhaps, made in haste but worthwhile nonetheless.

So now I sit here stroking my face with a few razors on their way out. One PIFed, one on the Bay, a couple here on BST. Not in a hurry to unload, but some just didn't seem as well suited. But revisiting the tech was a different story. I really hadn't been overly excited by it before. It seemed nice to have a piece of history and so many swore by it. But todays shave was outstanding. Right on par with my Timeless. I imagine my technique has improved a hairs breadth, but I will definitely stand corrected and this razor won't be leaving the den. Ever.

Thanks for letting me ramble. Glad to be off to a good start in restraint.

My nephew is getting married. So I went onto Maggard’s Razors to put together a little kit. I was going to get him a brush and soap but decided that might be overwhelming.

I ended up getting him a Fatip Piccolo SE, sample blades, and some sample aftershaves. I figured he could use canned foam for a bit while he figures the razor out.

Only day two into this and I put myself at temptations’ door. Actually, it was easy. At the moment, I have enough stuff and I’m happy with my razors.

My nephew is getting married. So I went onto Maggard’s Razors to put together a little kit. I was going to get him a brush and soap but decided that might be overwhelming.

I ended up getting him a Fatip Piccolo SE, sample blades, and some sample aftershaves. I figured he could use canned foam for a bit while he figures the razor out.

Only day two into this and I put myself at temptations’ door. Actually, it was easy. At the moment, I have enough stuff and I’m happy with my razors.
I know the feeling. My brother in law caught the DE shaving bug after using the first artisan soap I gifted him at Christmas. He has not progressed well with his attempt at buying a badger brush and has not tried boar. 20 minutes after getting into a favorite site or two and sending the suggestions to him, I find myself price comparing where I can get a semogue Mistura. Then I had a moment of clarity and closed all the browser tabs.... dodged that one. That’s what this is about changing the habit and using what we’ve got.

On a side note, I picked up a PAA gift set for $39 for my nephews graduation gift last weekend. It seemed well received. May not be a bad option if you are looking for a good gift for someone in the future. Normally I wouldn’t go to PAA, but I though the marketing and branding might appeal more and stick to my nephews memory.

I know the feeling. My brother in law caught the DE shaving bug after using the first artisan soap I gifted him at Christmas. He has not progressed well with his attempt at buying a badger brush and has not tried boar. 20 minutes after getting into a favorite site or two and sending the suggestions to him, I find myself price comparing where I can get a semogue Mistura. Then I had a moment of clarity and closed all the browser tabs.... dodged that one. That’s what this is about changing the habit and using what we’ve got.

On a side note, I picked up a PAA gift set for $39 for my nephews graduation gift last weekend. It seemed well received. May not be a bad option if you are looking for a good gift for someone in the future. Normally I wouldn’t go to PAA, but I though the marketing and branding might appeal more and stick to my nephews memory.

I like PAA's bath and shampoo soaps a lot. I did gift the Sangre de Drago set to a friend who fixed up our bicycles. I just wish that I could make a custom gift set with PAA but I don't think he has sample sizes of all of his shaving soaps and aftershaves. But I opted for a better razor for my nephew and figured software could follow with his birthday.

I like PAA's bath and shampoo soaps a lot. I did gift the Sangre de Drago set to a friend who fixed up our bicycles. I just wish that I could make a custom gift set with PAA but I don't think he has sample sizes of all of his shaving soaps and aftershaves. But I opted for a better razor for my nephew and figured software could follow with his birthday.
I got the symmetry razor with his set. It was the standard. The handles seemed like good quality, but the plate and top cap were not awesome. The top cap was so bad I had to contact them to request a replacement. They were great and rushed one to me just in time. They actually sent a complete head. So I have a spare symmetry razor, but the casting is so bad on it, I won’t ever use it. The one I gifted was the best of the two. It seemed adequate. If my nephew shows more interest, he’s in luck. He’s got an uncle that can upgrade him with a nice vintage razor or two.

Today same as day before yesterday.
Rockwell 6S
BIC chrome Platinum
Alum Block
Kouros EDT

I think I maybe in a rut.

Today same as day before yesterday.
Rockwell 6S
BIC chrome Platinum
Alum Block
Kouros EDT

I think I maybe in a rut.
...or, maybe, you've found your groove. :D

MW Coconut
Dirty Bird Scuttle
PAA Alpha Ecliptic
Tiger Razor Blade
Alum Block
CC Nor'easter AS

Still in the GRUME. Shave wasn't that good today. The blade dragged and chattered. Don't know if its the blade or the razor.

Gamechanger 68
Astra SP (6?)
MDC Agrumes
Zenith XL 31mm manchurian
Woody’s A/S

A pretty great shave using the new soap and brush. I was concerned this brush might be a PITA to load and face lather with, but it’s really quite the pleasure on both accounts. I’m new to the MDC soaps, can’t say the are exciting, but I honestly can’t find any shortcoming with the ease of loading easy to lather, and solid performance. Post shave is good, don’t want to say great yet as I’m still evaluating it, but as long as this soap lasts an eternity as folks report, I don’t foresee any disappointment. It’s not exciting, but it is quality. I loved finishing with my woody’s aftershave, good stuff yet not well represented here.

I shaved in a hurry on my way to the office today and was aware that I started to apply pressure around my chin as a result, and I’d like to thank the Astra for reminding me why we don’t do that 😁. (Thankfully, just one little weeper).

04768D49-FBC6-4952-9108-AD156C6D4973.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom