What's new

Jumping into the SE lake.....

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The razors arrived and appear to be in excellent condition.

Sanitized them. Ordered 25 of the Ted Pella PTFE Coated Personna blades from techichi_shave on eBay.

As soon as the blades get here, I'm going in. :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
From a technique perspective, it looks like I need to really ride the cap?

With the MMOC, very much so.

When I start a fresh blade I ride the very back (the three red lines towards the bottom) of the cap and shave gently with just enough pressure to make my skin rise to meet the edge.

MMOC_Fresh_Blade.jpg

I keep riding the back of the cap through shave 3. By shave 4 on a PTFE its starting to mellow and my angle steepens slightly. Shaves 4-7 are done with the center of the cap flat against my skin. Shaves 8-10 the angle steepens again to the flat closest to the comb and steeper.

steep.jpg

I only use GEM PTFE blades. My first GEM shave was with a carbon blade in my Bullet Tip. You can read about that here.

First SE Shave. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/first-se-shave.524844/

PTFE blades are sharp. The MMOC is very unforgiving. My first shave with it, stroking along my jawline from under my ear towards my chin I peeled a layer skin. After that I put it away for months. It was just to much of a good thing.

Gentle and gently are the key words when learning it. Its not like other razors.

Once you do learn it however, it is an extremely capable razor.

I didnt record my last shave here, but it was Monday evening or night. I dont remember.

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

The trick is to not try to feel the blade. With a very good technique you should feel very little to nothing and not feel the blade at all. If you can feel the blade, chances are you're too steep or using too much pressure on the cap. Its a very fine balance.

Once you become proficient with it however, you can use a steeper angle so that you do feel the blade and you'll feel more blade than you likely have before but, that blade is very stable and predictable. Think of it as a guarded straight razor, the comb being the guard, and shave accordingly.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
With the MMOC, very much so.

When I start a fresh blade I ride the very back (the three red lines towards the bottom) of the cap and shave gently with just enough pressure to make my skin rise to meet the edge.

View attachment 1028282

I keep riding the back of the cap through shave 3. By shave 4 on a PTFE its starting to mellow and my angle steepens slightly. Shaves 4-7 are done with the center of the cap flat against my skin. Shaves 8-10 the angle steepens again to the flat closest to the comb and steeper.

View attachment 1028283

I only use GEM PTFE blades. My first GEM shave was with a carbon blade in my Bullet Tip. You can read about that here.

First SE Shave. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/first-se-shave.524844/

PTFE blades are sharp. The MMOC is very unforgiving. My first shave with it, stroking along my jawline from under my ear towards my chin I peeled a layer skin. After that I put it away for months. It was just to much of a good thing.

Gentle and gently are the key words when learning it. Its not like other razors.

Once you do learn it however, it is an extremely capable razor.

The trick is to not try to feel the blade. With a very good technique you should feel very little to nothing and not feel the blade at all. If you can feel the blade, chances are you're too steep or using too much pressure on the cap. Its a very fine balance.

Once you become proficient with it however, you can use a steeper angle so that you do feel the blade and you'll feel more blade than you likely have before but, that blade is very stable and predictable. Think of it as a guarded straight razor, the comb being the guard, and shave accordingly.
Thank you, @Esox .

I will be very careful, gentle and aware.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
David are there any vintage SE razors that you want to try since I am sending a package your way
I can include a few if you like. I have several that are just collecting dust.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
David are there any vintage SE razors that you want to try since I am sending a package your way
I can include a few if you like. I have several that are just collecting dust.

What an incredibly generous offer. Thank you very much.

I honestly have no clue what I'm doing in the SE razor universe and wouldn't know what to ask.

Maybe if there is a milder SE so I can refine my technique?

And please let me know how much to reimburse you for the razor.

Thank you.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe if there is a milder SE so I can refine my technique?

The GEM Bullet Tip is a great razor. Its milder than the MMOC yet as efficient as a Fatip OC. The Bullet Tip and MMOC compliment each other so well they should have been sold in sets.

I start fresh PTFE blades in my Bullet Tip for 4 shaves them move them to my MMOC for the next 6.

Bullet Tip on the left. MMOC on the right.

IMG_2295.jpg IMG_2296.jpg IMG_2298.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The GEM Bullet Tip is a great razor. Its milder than the MMOC yet as efficient as a Fatip OC. The Bullet Tip and MMOC compliment each other so well they should have been sold in sets.

I start fresh PTFE blades in my Bullet Tip for 4 shaves them move them to my MMOC for the next 6.

Bullet Tip on the left. MMOC on the right.

View attachment 1028569 View attachment 1028570 View attachment 1028571

Outstanding! Thank you.
Time to round up a GEM Bullet Tip. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Continuing my SE journey, I picked up a GEM Featherweight G Bar, cleaned it up and shaved with it on Thursday:

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Graydog Custom (Backyard Maple Handle, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic)
Soap: Tabac
Lather Bowl: Timeless BLUE
Razor: GEM Featherweight G Bar
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (2)

Post-shave1: Crystal Thai Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel plus Organic Moroccan Rose Water (3:1 ratio)
Aftershave Balm: Tabac
Aftershave: Original Tabac
Cologne: Original Tabac

WTG, XTG, ATG, plus minor buffing and touch--up.

DFS+ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

9+/10

Great shave!

If I may ask for a ruling? If I shave on Monday with the wonderful GEM G Bar that @Graydog was kind enough to send, does that count for 'Micromatic Monday'? :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Continuing my SE journey, I picked up a GEM Featherweight G Bar, cleaned it up and shaved with it on Thursday:

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Graydog Custom (Backyard Maple Handle, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic)
Soap: Tabac
Lather Bowl: Timeless BLUE
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (2)

Post-shave2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel plus Organic Moroccan Rose Water (3:1 ratio)
Aftershave Balm: Tabac
Aftershave: Original Tabac
Cologne: Original Tabac

WTG, XTG, ATG, plus minor buffing and touch--up.

DFS+ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

9+/10

Great shave!

If I may ask for a ruling? If I shave on Monday with the wonderful GEM G Bar that @Graydog was kind enough to send, does that count for 'Micromatic Monday'? :)
Yes, We call it GEMonday also depending what razor your using that Monday and it's part of the American Safety Razor Company (ASR) razor owners- so Fred @Flintstone65 (role-call guy :001_smile )welcomes folks who like to share their experiences and gear. So come on over and anyone else who likes ASR razors.
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Yes, We call it GEMonday also depending what razor your using that Monday and it's part of the American Safety Razor Company (ASR) razor owners- so Fred @Flintstone65 (role-call guy :001_smile )welcomes folks who like to share their experiences and gear. So come on over and anyone else who likes ASR razors.
Have some great shaves!
Absolutely +1 — well said, sir!!!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I REALLY like the GEM Featherweight G Bar. Coupled with the Ted Pella GEM Personna (4) blade, I just had a WONDERFUL shave.

Wow!

Veteran's Day Shave 20191111

Prep: Washed face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Proraso Red
Brush: Graydog Backyard Maple Handle, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic
Soap: Fine Green Vetiver
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Blade: Ted Pella GEM Personna (4)
Post-shave2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel/Organic Moroccan Rose Water Mix (3:1 ratio)
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
Aftershave: Fine Green Vetiver
Cologne: Vetyver Malitzia Uomo EdT

Extremely nice shave! Smooth and comfortable. Wow!

WTG, XTG, ATG, angled XTG/ATG plus minor buffing and touch--up.

Wife approved, solid BBS with zero nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

9+/10 (Getting really close to a 10/10.)

Top Bottom