What's new

Jumping all the way into Rum

I have kept a white rum and sipping rum in the home bar for the last couple of years. For the white rum, I have like J. Wray Silver, which I believe has now been discontinued. For the sipping rum, a Foursquare bottling. However, some further reading on rums on Reddit and other sites has lead me all the way down the rabbit hole. As that state controls liquor distribution in Alabama and rum varieties are rather limited, I took advantage of some recent out-of-state travel to pick up the following bottles. I still have several bottles of J. Wray Silver rum but any suggestions to replace it? Also, am I missing any style now with my new acquisitions?

thumbnail (13).jpg

thumbnail (12).jpg

Maybe one of the multi-starred version of Ron Abuelo.

You might try Indonesian Batavia Arrack, which I think is considered a rum, but find it more or less undrinkable.

Maybe a real Cuban Havana Club Anejo, but I do not find the few Cuban rums I have had to be all that different from Puerto Rican rums, and not to have all that much character.

You have an nice collection. In my experience, you cannot go too wrong with anything Hamilton puts out. You like "hogo," apparently! Me, too, but there are some intentionally hogo intense rums out there that I find simply too much.

I explored rum last year. Unlike bourbon, tequila, or scotch, you can still find several fantastically aged rums for a reasonable price. One of my favorites was Mount Gay XO.

I enjoy rum but the lack of regulation of additives made it hard to make selections. I prefer an unadulterated drink.

Good lineup! The Clement VSOP is my favourite agricole, and beats out the XOs or more expensive versions I've tried - it has a rawness that fits the style, if I want it elegant, I'd go spanish style instead. Speaking of which, an unsweetened Spanish rum could join the crowd? Like Santa Teresa. As well as an unsweetened Guyana - the El Dorado Enmore is heaven on earth.

Also, one very peculiar style of rum that's not in your line-up, is Caroni, from the closed Caroni distillery. As with all these things, the price is thereafter. However, it really is a unique flavor that you might like if you like Jamaican funk. It's less compost and more garage.

it really is a unique flavor that you might like if you like Jamaican funk. It's less compost and more garage.
There was a time when I would have said I liked Jamaican funk. I guess I still like Smith and Cross, Doctor Bird, certain other Jamaican pot still hogo rich rums, at least when used with other rums in tiki drinks. But super funk monsters like "The Funk" sort of turned me off to the genre and made me afraid to buy things to try. Much less something like Batavia Arrack. Apparently there is some thought expressed on-line that Caroni was a failed rum, and what folks are raving about now was not considered a good thing when the distillery was open.

There was a time when I would have said I liked Jamaican funk. I guess I still like Smith and Cross, Doctor Bird, certain other Jamaican pot still hogo rich rums, at least when used with other rums in tiki drinks. But super funk monsters like "The Funk" sort of turned me off to the genre and made me afraid to buy things to try. Much less something like Batavia Arrack. Apparently there is some thought expressed on-line that Caroni was a failed rum, and what folks are raving about now was not considered a good thing when the distillery was open.

I like Smith & Cross too - preferably neat, if I’m in the mood for jet fuel and i don’t mean that ironically :) otherwise, I agree, Jamaican funk is best kept moderate and in drinks. I think Plantation does the Jamaican thing very well for a more polished feel. Regarding Caroni, I’m not surprised! That said, I actually enjoy it. But not enough to pay the prices.

Top Bottom