What's new

Jumped in, first real straight razor shave

Spent a couple hours yesterday honing razors, and finally have my first real straight razor shave today. Used a couple Gold Dollars for the first try.

Not the best shave I've ever had, even broke down and used some Captain's Choice shave balm as my cheeks were a bit raw, but it's close and bearable if not comfortable. Wouldn't have needed the balm if I'd not shaved ATG, but if I don't, I have almost as much beard after I shave as when I start. Learned that 45 years ago, so I went along carefully and managed it in most places. I'll skip the WTG pass in the future, doesn't work any better with a straight than a safety razor.

I'll be working on the razors some more, way too much resistance and pulling, but I do have a very very close shave. Couple tiny weepers in the usual spots (mostly shaving off bumps, the glory of an old face, eh?), but no major problems.

Finished with my slant, was running out of shake free hand time on my chin and didn't want to push my luck.

I could get used to this I think....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Congrats, you're a better man than me! The shakes get me at the most inopportune times.

It keeps getting better. Sometimes I think I cause the issues (not BBS), sometimes I blame the edge, so I’m getting really close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked the edges under the microscope, will be honing again before the next try. Close, but no banana.....

Great! What are you honing on?
Sounds like you are on the right track. When you set the bevel you should be able to easily shave your arm with any part of the blade. That is when you create the apex, everything after should just be refining it.

Congrats, you're a better man than me! The shakes get me at the most inopportune times.

I only get the shakes when the wife is around.

All started on something like 20th shave, kids running around in and out of bathroom, I was busy shaving away, no problem. Then finishing up on the top lip, and outside the door the wife says "Whats the scraping, ting-ting sound?"

I have full concentration on my hand and the Boker king cutter - willing my hand not to move the blade, anticipating the wife barging into the bathroom. Instead she bursts in and screams... my head flicks back (as an involuntary action to her screaming), and I end up scratching my upper lip with the toe of the blade. Quickly, I got alum block and seal the scratch, and finish shaving, it was bit of a small bleeder. Had a redline for two weeks, during this time I was hoping that it wouldn't scar. It healed well and after a month was no longer noticeable. Whew.

The problem is now, every-time I hear the wife outside the bathroom - I get the shakes, even with a DE. Im totally cool as a cucumber with the kids running around though. Go figure. So now I can only shave when the wife isn't around. Im onto SR shave number 79 and approaching SR shave 100 soon, just had bit of a set back with summer holidays and used the DE more than the SR, but looking forward to another day off work (or when the wife in work and I'm not), to get the king cutter back out. I promised myself once I get to 100 I'll treat myself to a new razor.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I only get the shakes when the wife is around.

All started on something like 20th shave, kids running around in and out of bathroom, I was busy shaving away, no problem. Then finishing up on the top lip, and outside the door the wife says "Whats the scraping, ting-ting sound?"

I have full concentration on my hand and the Boker king cutter - willing my hand not to move the blade, anticipating the wife barging into the bathroom. Instead she bursts in and screams... my head flicks back (as an involuntary action to her screaming), and I end up scratching my upper lip with the toe of the blade. Quickly, I got alum block and seal the scratch, and finish shaving, it was bit of a small bleeder. Had a redline for two weeks, during this time I was hoping that it wouldn't scar. It healed well and after a month was no longer noticeable. Whew.

The problem is now, every-time I hear the wife outside the bathroom - I get the shakes, even with a DE. Im totally cool as a cucumber with the kids running around though. Go figure. So now I can only shave when the wife isn't around. Im onto SR shave number 79 and approaching SR shave 100 soon, just had bit of a set back with summer holidays and used the DE more than the SR, but looking forward to another day off work (or when the wife in work and I'm not), to get the king cutter back out. I promised myself once I get to 100 I'll treat myself to a new razor.
Now you know why I only use a DE! My wife and son scare me on purpose some times, lol.

Of course, they will just say I'm jumpy.

Im not sure you can really see an edge or can really judge how it feels with your microscope. You can see the bevel OK but that does not always translate to an edge or feel - coticules and natural Japanese stones are perfect examples of this.

It sounds like you got a bevel set on your razor which is the first and critical step. But it sounds like you have more work to do on honing that razor up. Don't torture yourself with a dull razor pulling like that. That is the sign you need to work on it some more.

Using natural stones as finishing stones can require some skill/learning. If you had a synthetic 8K and 12k might be a little easier to get it there. Perhaps films are an option to try on the cheap. I have welsh slates and to me (opinion obviously), they are not something I finish and shave off of....but I think you can and it would be OK.

So you have stones you should be able to shave much more comfortably off of. If you can shave with it like you describe then you have a bevel (hopefully full length of edge). So I'll say again, sounds like you have some more work to do honing. That could be as simple as more laps, controlling pressure better, or your technique in general. So just keep practicing. Pay attention to how the blade feels on the stone and as that changes after more laps. When you get something that feels and looks good, shave with it and try again. Strop first before trying any time of course. Maybe start back at the 6000 and work your way back up with more laps. Pay attention and perform perfect laps.

Shavers with much more experience than me have already chimed in with excellent advice as per usual on this esteemed forum. A wealth of knowledge.

For my part, for what it's worth and when your razors are sufficiently smooth and sharp - pay attention to your angle. With all my straights (not just my Feather) I have found comfortable and smooth shaves come from going ATG for the most part, using a very shallow angle. I also try to roll the axis of the razor back to flat on each stroke, a subtle movement that has resulted in far less blood loss and much improved shaves.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Top Bottom