What's new

Jump On In, The Water's Fine - Newbie Straight Razor PIF

The razors arrived today, and they are beautiful! As much as I hate to wait, I'll be doing my first straight shave on Sunday! I'll definitely post a write-up about the experience.Thanks again for this wonderful PIF!

Thank you VERY much! I've been dying to give straight shaving a try, now I can! I'll update my will over the weekend, and put a plastic surgeon on retainer...just in case...

Congrats and Welcome to "The Loony Bin". Just remember that it does indeed take some time to get used to these types of blades so do not give up after 10, 20, 50 or even as many as 100 Shaves if they do not come out just perfect, you are likely to have a few hiccups along the way to developing your skils, efficiency and technique for using these blades. I will say this though, It Is Very Much Worth The Trip as the Journey is half the fun of shaving with a straight razor.

So read up on some of the advice threads and use caution, common sense and a slow steady approach at building your skills and technique and you will do just fine with these wonderful shaving devices:thumbup:

Congrats and Welcome to "The Loony Bin". Just remember that it does indeed take some time to get used to these types of blades so do not give up after 10, 20, 50 or even as many as 100 Shaves if they do not come out just perfect, you are likely to have a few hiccups along the way to developing your skils, efficiency and technique for using these blades. I will say this though, It Is Very Much Worth The Trip as the Journey is half the fun of shaving with a straight razor.

So read up on some of the advice threads and use caution, common sense and a slow steady approach at building your skills and technique and you will do just fine with these wonderful shaving devices:thumbup:

Don't worry. I won't give up. I was fascinated with my great-grandpa's straight/strop when I was kid. It's what made me fall into this rabbit hole when I first saw the VHD brush/soap/bowl combo at Wally-world a few years ago. I was given that razor and strop, grandpa'injector and the Old Spice mug and brush that belonged to one/both of them at Christmas. The straight, strop and brush are not currently useable, but I use the injector regularly and the mug occasionally.

Well, lishijia, if your intention was to drag an innocent person kicking and screaming into the rabbit-hole that is straight razor shaving, mission accomplished! I just finished my finished my first-ever straight razor shave with the Robeson Shuredge...and I loved it! I went from five-day growth to DFS in a single pass...and didn't lose a single drop of blood!

The left side of my face is a bit awkward for me (extremely right-handed). I'll have to do a touch-up pass with a DE in a bit, but I'm sure it will improve with time. All in all, it was a great shave, and I have a new Sunday routine!

Well, lishijia, if your intention was to drag an innocent person kicking and screaming into the rabbit-hole that is straight razor shaving, mission accomplished! I just finished my finished my first-ever straight razor shave with the Robeson Shuredge...and I loved it! I went from five-day growth to DFS in a single pass...and didn't lose a single drop of blood!

The left side of my face is a bit awkward for me (extremely right-handed). I'll have to do a touch-up pass with a DE in a bit, but I'm sure it will improve with time. All in all, it was a great shave, and I have a new Sunday routine!

Excellent! I'm chuffed it went so well!

Your left hand will adjust if you just keep using the straight in it. I'm strongly right-hand dominant too, but after a couple dozen shaves, I couldn't tell any difference between my two hands / sides.

Excellent! I'm chuffed it went so well!

Your left hand will adjust if you just keep using the straight in it. I'm strongly right-hand dominant too, but after a couple dozen shaves, I couldn't tell any difference between my two hands / sides.

Hmm..I'm gonna have to use my left hand next time...lol! I was like a side-show contortionist with a death-wish...

Hmm..I'm gonna have to use my left hand next time...lol! I was like a side-show contortionist with a death-wish...

Hah! Good image!

Try using a RSO (razor-shaped object) in the mirror with both hands. A plastic knife or tongue depressor -- I used a plastic fork with the outside tines broken off -- anything like that to hold like a razor. Just a couple minutes practice here or there and your left hand will get the muscle memory it needs. Some say it's not necessary to learn the off-hand use, and technically they are correct. But, having spent the little extra time to learn shaving with my left hand, I believe it makes shaving simpler to learn, perhaps because it's all symmetrical -- the strokes and positioning are all the same left or right.

Hah! Good image!

Try using a RSO (razor-shaped object) in the mirror with both hands. A plastic knife or tongue depressor -- I used a plastic fork with the outside tines broken off -- anything like that to hold like a razor. Just a couple minutes practice here or there and your left hand will get the muscle memory it needs. Some say it's not necessary to learn the off-hand use, and technically they are correct. But, having spent the little extra time to learn shaving with my left hand, I believe it makes shaving simpler to learn, perhaps because it's all symmetrical -- the strokes and positioning are all the same left or right.

I'll definitely give that a try! The most interesting part was edging the left side of my (rather long) goatee. Pulling it to the right with my left hand...right hand/razor operating in left by my arm...lol!

Top Bottom