What's new

July 4 1976 Williams soap

Just pulled out one of my old (blue) Williams boxes and it has the same AV adverts on the flap as your menthol.

Wonder if that 1776 AV bottle was part of a Williams promo or just another bicentennial craze item. Would be interesting to see the box that that 1776 AV bottle came in

Last edited:
i hear there was also a williams soap that had a rose scent to it as well. i have a menthol williams as well, but no scent here either.

Just pulled out one of my old (blue) Williams boxes and it has the same AV adverts on the flap as your menthol.

Wonder if that 1776 AV bottle was part of a Williams promo or just another bicentennial craze item. Would be interesting to see the box that that 1776 AV bottle came in

Could be. Hitching onto the bandwagon and all that. It would be interesting.

i hear there was also a williams soap that had a rose scent to it as well. i have a menthol williams as well, but no scent here either.

In this thread Michiganloverot not only identifies it... but did a huge write up of it http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/147700-Identifying-Vintage-Williams/page2
proxy.php

Last edited:

The key words there are had a rose scent. Unless you get really lucky, any Vintage Williams is going to have no remaining scent left. So while the Luxury, and Menthol soaps will sell for a price premium on Ebay, there is realistically no detectable different between them. The Luxury had a rose scent, but was otherwise the same as regular Williams, and the Menthol had menthol of course but was otherwise the same. Sine the rose scent is gone, and the menthol has leached out, the soaps are all effectively the same.

The Williams shaving stick also had a rose scent. If you can find one in a glass tube, it still might have the scent left.

My stick still has a very strong rose scent left. I wonder if the plastic tube seals it up better than the cardboard boxes? I use this very sparingly because I want it to last as long as possible.

proxy.php

And, here's my 1976 menthol Williams along with one of the standard 1976 Williams.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
My stick still has a very strong rose scent left. I wonder if the plastic tube seals it up better than the cardboard boxes? I use this very sparingly because I want it to last as long as possible.

proxy.php

I'll but that. Thicker walled, screw tight, and aluminum foiled. Yes, I could see how it would preserve the scent. That is cool.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

proxy.php

Now that is nice. :thumbsup: Gives me a new excuse to go into antique stores again.

I remember that day vividly -- the Bicentennial. Manhattan was thronged, and my friends and I were lucky enough to be able to watch the fireworks from the bleachers that were set up on the banks of Hudson River, at what is now Battery Park City.

AV Redwood! You learn something new every day...

I use my Williams promotional mug every day to soak my brushes in.

It is a nice addition. Good luck with the hunt :001_smile

proxy.php
proxy.php

I have that mug too. I bought it in 1976 from that Williams offer. I use it reasonably frequently (I like the Old Spice mug better for nearly daily use). For me, the biggest advantage of the metal mug is that it easily heats up by laying it down in the sink and running hot water over it. Hot mug = hot lather that really feels great on a cold morning.

I posted a picture of it on the thread showing my first restore attempt. It's the last post on the thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/321051-Erskine-U-50-Restoration

And I remember the Williams Menthol soap. I liked the menthol scent as well as how it felt on my face. Remembering that, I still occasionally smear some Mentholatum on my face before lathering up. If Mentholatum isn't handy, Vick's Vapor Rub works well in a pinch.

This mug shows up fairly often on ebay.

I have that mug too. I bought it in 1976 from that Williams offer. I use it reasonably frequently (I like the Old Spice mug better for nearly daily use). For me, the biggest advantage of the metal mug is that it easily heats up by laying it down in the sink and running hot water over it. Hot mug = hot lather that really feels great on a cold morning.

I posted a picture of it on the thread showing my first restore attempt. It's the last post on the thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/321051-Erskine-U-50-Restoration

And I remember the Williams Menthol soap. I liked the menthol scent as well as how it felt on my face. Remembering that, I still occasionally smear some Mentholatum on my face before lathering up. If Mentholatum isn't handy, Vick's Vapor Rub works well in a pinch.

This mug shows up fairly often on ebay.

BigJim,

Thanks for your recall down memory lane. Very cool. Hmm, you just might have me looking for some Mentholatum. I love Proraso in the winter and 444 so this is worth looking into. Your right about the mug but priorities dictate otherwise. I will get it though one day.

I remember that day vividly -- the Bicentennial. Manhattan was thronged, and my friends and I were lucky enough to be able to watch the fireworks from the bleachers that were set up on the banks of Hudson River, at what is now Battery Park City.

AV Redwood! You learn something new every day...

That is one amazing memory. Very Cool.

Hey, I have a Menthol soap, also. Someday I'll use it. I'm really trying to get through a lot of what I already have started. But that's ok, it's not going anywhere.

Top Bottom