What's new

July 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I AM STILL IN ON THE BIG THREE-ZERO DAY OF GRUME-ING...:letterk1:
DAY 07 OF INTERNATIONAL/WORLD-WIDE/UNIVERSAL SHARK WEEK...

I have very good news for all shark enthusiast!

Yesterday, we reported the whereabouts of all sharks in our control group were unknown.
As of 9:00 AM CST, 4 sharks have found their way back to the Oceanic Underwater Chambers Habitat, affectionately known as the OUCH! Facility. Our submarines, drones and helicopter pilots have spotted several sharks quickly in-route to our grandiose laboratory.

What a special week it has been for the advancement of knowledge among fellow shark aficionados.

Today, for your intellectual enlightenment, I present the highlight of this educational series. The OUCH! Facility and other renounced, er uh renowned scientist such as @Mike M have enticed you with tidbits of knowledge such as citrus and vegetative deterrents. Masking strategies have also been presented as an effective shark deterrent. I want to assure all dear readers that THESE METHODS ARE SAFE AND EFFECTIVE.

So,...for the first time ever, in all known galaxies, only for B&B readers, I present our crowning achievement in the annals of shark research (thus-far)...

Follow along with me- Sharks are perceived by the naive public as cold-blooded eating machines. They are known to have the olfactory capacity to smell blood 384 miles in all directions. They are MEAT EATERS! The ANIMAL kingdom is their domain.
But what if...we present them with natural substances from the PLANT kingdom!!! BRILLANT!!!

WE now present THE MOST EFFECTIVE SHARK DETERRENT FOUND ANYWHERE IN THE UNIVERSE!

VEGAN Shave Cream!
Thats right! You read it here first. Vegan creams are TOTALLY ignored by ALL shark species. For all you land-lovers, use all those wonderful tallow based soaps to your hearts content. BUT, when surrounded by sharks the most effective strategy will be Vegan creams. For enhanced protection, an added citrus or vegetable essence is also recommended-such as lime, lemon or chipped potatoes.

As an added side note, I found a photo from my younger hippie days, my handsome self taken this week and a fellow scientist playing with with the great-great-great grandfather of Chompers.

I remain your HUMBLE, Authoritative, Imminent, Universally Renounced Renowned, Oscar Nominated and Premiere Sharktologist, B.S. p.h.e.d. A.B.C. Etc.

tjsgarden a.k.a. John

Good Day! :letterk1:

PXL_20220730_145322728.jpg

It’s HOT! Over 100° the last few days. We drove up to a town parade and county fair, and temps were still over 100 after a thousand feet elevation gain. On the way home our car thermometer read between 103-108°. It was 104 at home. The crazy thing is that the Valley is 10° cooler, it is usually 10-15° warmer. We are sitting in front of the fans and taking occasional lukewarm showers.
I had a much better shave today, as posted in Shark Week:
I went into today’s shave with much apprehension after yesterday’s scrape fest. I had 25 hours extra growth after the remains left over from yesterday. I was ready to scuttle at a moment’s notice and finish with my Trac II. Maybe 5 decent shaves was all I could expect from this blade.
I abandoned my experiment with only cleaning and rinsing the blade with alcohol. I honed and stropped the Shark Super Stainless. I swapped out my Gillette New LC for one of my early Postwar Techs (Gold, Fat Handle). I lathered up with Mike’s Natural, and within 3 passes I noticed a huge improvement over the previous day! When I finished I had the best shave yet on this blade, perhaps the best shave this year.
Shave #7, no 🩸 or irritation, BBS, 9.9 rating.

Date​
31.07.2022 Shark week​
Main Focus:31/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
209/212 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
8/7 Days in Shark Week
Other:High Efficiency Razors in July
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Prep:KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green
Cream:Dutchy Bergamot
Aftershave:Floïd The Genuine
Balm:Nivea
Bowl:Proraso tub / Face lather
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Passes:WTG (N-S)
XTG (W-E)
ATG (S-N)
Mostly Gillette Slanted
Razor:Razorine Flatboy
Blade:Shark Super Chrome (9)
Rating:10/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

So I decided to extend Shark Week by one day (at least) and give the Shark Chrome another run. Back home in the den after vacation so I had all my gear at my disposal. I chose the Flatboy and see what an aggressive razor does to this blade or vice versa.

There was 🩸! Two weepers, but for a ninth run in a razor like this it was a fantastic shave. I felt pulling on the first few strokes so I changed the angle a bit - one I am actually still learning to dial in for this razor. Somehow I am close but not spot on.

BBS bliss in three light passes. This blade is growing on me and I will definitely get extra’s.

Still in running to the finish line! Had a great last shave in July.
  • Pre-shave: Art of Shaving Unscented Pre-shave Oil
  • Brush: West Cost Shaving Tortoiseshell Torch
  • Soap: Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop
  • Razor: Merkur Progress (4 pass, 5-3-3-1)
  • Blade: Feather (2)
  • Aftershave: Old Spice

That wasn't so bad, was it? Congratulations to all who have made it this far and there are only a few more hours to go...

Feather AC DX (wtg) + Dorco BB-20 (8)
Feather AS-D2 (xtg) + Shark SS (8)
Cella (kilo)
Omega 011842

A few temptations but no shave-related purchases this month. I almost added a new razor and two new soaps to my shopping cart as a "reward" for surviving the July GRUME but decided against it.

It seems the longer I go without making a purchase the easier it becomes. So here's to August having fewer temptations than July since I've also found when I make one purchase it's much easier to justify a few more. And so continues the exercise in restraint...

ATTENTION

THIS IS A LUUNY TUNE ALERT
FOR MISSING DERANGED INDIVIDUALS

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN?

alfredenewman.jpg

THIS PERSON'S NAME AND IDENTITY ARE NOT BEING DISCLOSED BECAUSE WE REALLY DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS!

This we know for sure, He is deranged, paranoid, psychotic and suffers from Delusions of Granduer.
The subject has been known to impersonate famous scientist, circus performers and movie stars.
He once tried tried to impersonate an NFL football linebacker but that didn't work out too well.
A scary incident was when he had a political campaign and almost became a US Senator.

Subject was last seen walking toward a beach with a mask, snorkel and swimming flippers. An eye witness said
the crazy man was muttering about a friendly shark named Chompers and visiting some one named @Mike M
Mike M may also be a co-conspirator or accomplice and involved in some type of fraudulent activity.
If you see this individual, do not believe a word he says! For the safety of all mankind, immediately contact the
Management Against Delusions Center

UPDATE

We were informed moments ago that the MAD Center has hired a new Director of Psychiatry.

alfredenewman.jpg
Dr. Newman E. Alfred

The distinguished and renowned Doctor Alfred said the missing patient may never be located.​
The world famous physician said "It is my hope that the MAD facility will be able to assist individuals suffering for debilitating delusional disorders. Dr. Mike, a noted scientist from Scotland will assist in all future treatment services...Good Day!"

Day 31...Still GRUMEing...:letterk1:

Hey Guys, it has been a fun month for me.

I enjoyed all the postings and want to give a big shout-out again to @FoolishMortal for facilitating this great thread! He is also facilitating Arko August-I hope to see some of you guys there tomorrow!

I am wanting to buy a couple new synthetic brushes in August but hopefully will be GRUME-ing in September!

Good Day To All!

John :letterk1:

Last shave of the month
Pre-Shave: Warm face wash
Razor: Rockwell 6C(4)
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: FS 3 band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Fine Classic L’Orange Noir
Post- Shave: Alum Block
Fine L’Orange Noir Splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB
Castle Forbes Special Reserve Vetiver Parfum

An OK shave but using the Shark SS left me with quite a few blood spots. Alum block cleared them up but they detracted from an otherwise enjoyable shave. BBS-/DFS+ result.
Signing in for the August GRUME but may fail this one, depending on what crosses my path while on holiday in 🇮🇹.

For those of us that made well done. For those that didn’t try harder next month

See ya 😎😎😎😎

Top Bottom