What's new

July 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

SOTD #1

Restock order is in for 2 tucks of Rubies, a Sample of Wiz-SIs, and a side of Polsilver
This month it's back to the cream that started it all for me. Looking to expire this in favor of a restock near year's end.
  • No Pre-Shave
  • Truefitt's 1805 (SOTM)
  • Simpson’s Special - Pure
  • Mühle R89
  • Polsilver SI (17)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Nivea 2 in 1
TH_1805.JPG

Avoided another planned purchase. I was going to buy a plastic scuttle in June, then due to my joining the June GRUME decided to wait until July 1 to do it. I instead devised a way to get warm lather with a bowl we are not using. (To avoid risk of knocking it off the narrow ledge of our sink I put the bowl in the warm rinse water while shaving, keeps the lather warm and due to displacement I can get by with less rinse water in the sink.) It was nice, but after two uses I am not that convinced it makes a lot of difference or is worth the extra time to warm up the bowl.

Meanwhile, I had shave #42 on the Feather Blade, a new record!

I’m in! First time doing this.
1) FoolishMortal - (SOTM)
2) Balin
3) hopper_64
4) Guido75
5) Multum in parvo
6) JAHE
7) Doti B
8) tjsgarden
9) kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) Iver
11) Cantujm
12) Kyle89
13) cryhavoc
14) ChriWilson - (SOTM)
15) Alum Ladd
16) Jack Goossen
17) Chef455
18) Stuart Ganis
19) markmc
20) Sandorfi - SOTM
21) LJBraaten
22) FL shaver
23) couch_potato
24) bjm
25) Dodger59
26) sarir97
27) zacktracy

GRUME-ing On Day 2 :letterk1:
Still In
PXL_20220702_150234170.PORTRAIT.jpg

Pre-Shave: Hot then cool shower; icy cold splashes on face, Star Jelly, chilled brush, razor and soap
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Simpson Super Badger 1 (Not shown in photo)
Soap: Tabac Original
Shave: Twice WTG
Post Shave: Bee-Bald Healing Balm (very very good), Gillette AS lotion and other moisturizers

Comments
Today is my grand daughter's birthday! She is 15...enough said! The family will honor her at a swim party with her friends.
The Gillette Slim is the only razor bought on Ebay. I still marvel at the older craftsmanship that used to be the norm. Today I didn't make a flower arrangement for my wife but she says she is still happy!

Good Day! :letterk1:

Date
Main Focus:02/31 Days in GRUME (6% and still in)
Other:High Efficiency Razors in July
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Prep:Cold splash and shower
Cream:TGS Solo
Aftershave:-
Balm:Proraso Green
Bowl:- Face lathered
Brush:
Omega Super Badger 632
Passes:WTG (Gillette Slant) N-S
XTG (Gillette Slide) NW-SE
ATG (Diagonal) SW-NE
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Open Comb
Blade:Tiger Platinum (4)
Rating:7/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Notes to today's shave can be found here:A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11830411

Have a Great day everyone

Still in

While I was looking for an aftershave today I found my old VDH Boar brush. It was the first brush I bought and I honestly thought I had thrown it away. I haven't used the brush in years and decided to give it a go. My recollection was it as a bad brush but it surprised me and performed well. I'm going to use it for a while and see how I like it now. Always fun to pull out an old piece of kit and find that it performs much better that you remember.

Razor: GEM Clog Pruf
Blade: GEM SS PTFE (18)
Soap: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Boar: VDH Boar
AS: La Toja splash

Date
Main Focus:02/31 Days in GRUME (6% and still in)
Prep:Cold splash and shower
Cream:TGS Solo
Aftershave:-
Bowl:- Face lathered
Brush:
Omega Super Badger 632
ATG (Diagonal) SW-NE
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Open Comb
Blade:Tiger Platinum (4)
Rating:7/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Notes to today's shave can be found here:A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11830411

Looks like you enjoyed a "cool" shave!
I noticed you used the term Gillette Slant and Slide. I often use the G-slide technique but I am thinking about using my slant razor tomorrow. Your thread is also interesting.

Looks like you enjoyed a "cool" shave!
I noticed you used the term Gillette Slant and Slide. I often use the G-slide technique but I am thinking about using my slant razor tomorrow. Your thread is also interesting.
Thanks! I am one to experiment with different types of strokes as opposed to the regular up and down. When using a slant I would do up and down and not sliding or anything, because the design of the razor had that already covered. You may increase the chances of nicks or cuts.

Cheers,

Guido

Still in

While I was looking for an aftershave today I found my old VDH Boar brush. It was the first brush I bought and I honestly thought I had thrown it away. I haven't used the brush in years and decided to give it a go. My recollection was it as a bad brush but it surprised me and performed well. I'm going to use it for a while and see how I like it now. Always fun to pull out an old piece of kit and find that it performs much better that you remember.
That is pretty great! I haven't been wet shaving as long as you but I have been reluctant to throw hardware or software out just in case I hated something because I judged it from a newbie state of mind.

I am going to follow along to see how you find it after a while!

IMG_20220703_065504.jpg

Wilkinson Sword (black) #6
Piccolo SE OC
Semogue 2000
Last inches of Proraso Sandalwood cream

Wow, someone stopped being lather hog apparently ☺️ as I had enough lather for 12 passes, but just 2 were enough for BBS (WTG+XTG) I'm quite happy how Wilkinson blade feels in Piccolo after #5 shave, seems that it's getting more balanced between smoothness and "enough" sharpness, now with #6 it performed marvelous. No nicks, smooth, efficient, no skin feel... geometry hit 100%.

Date​
03.07.2022​
Main Focus:03/31 Days in GRUME (9% and still in)
Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Lavanda
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Bowl:Proraso
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminium
ATG (Diagonal) SW-NE
Razor:King C R41
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (7)
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Notes to today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11830932

Top Bottom