What's new

July 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I think I will label myself out. I received my birthday gifts today and I could not be happier with my gifts:
  • Razorine Flatboy with 70 and 72 handles
  • Kox/Dutchy Bergamot hard soap with green Kox enemel shaving bowl
  • Haslinger Sandelholz with green Kox enemel shaving bowl
  • Travelbrush in blue aluminium (unbranded)
  • Leather toilet bag by Galen
When I get the chance I will post pictures.

Reason for labelling myself out is that I have not specifically asked for these wonderful items nor hinted, but my family did do check-ins to make sure they bought the right or wanted shaving gear. I am not sure if that fits our rules of engagement so I am following the rule 'if you have to ask you are probably out' and declare myself out. I will however continue to post and root for all remaining gents!

Date​
06.07.2022​
Main Focus:06/31 Days in GRUME (19% and potentially out)
185/187 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors in July
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Kox Bergamot
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Bowl:Kox Enemel Green \ Proraso
Brush:Omega Proraso Boar
Passes:WTG (N-S)
XTG (NW-SE)
ATG (S-N)
Razor:Razorine Flatboy 72
Blade:Dorco Titan (1)
Rating:8/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Notes to today's shave: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11834822

Have a Great day everyone
Happy Birthday @Guido75

My thoughts on this: If you did not hint about shaving gear as gifts, and your family came to you to ask, "Would you enjoy these items or are they wasted money?", and you said, "I would enjoy them", that's fair dinkum.

I'm open to counter-arguments (or confirmation).
Hmm. The second line of reasoning does apply, but I am not sure about the hinting. I definitely did not hint during GRUME, but we have a way in my family to check in with each other on gifts and stuff (in order to avoid that awkward moment of silence right after unpacking followed by a ‘surprise’).

Given the fact that other gents in previous months were sometimes out on what I would view as minor purchases or need-purchases, I want to be fair and err on the safe side nonetheless Brandon - so I am out.

And I promised SWMBO that I will complete all remaining GRUMEs for 2022 without fail 😁😊😇.

Guido

Still in 🙏🏾

Impressed with the fourth (!) blade I tried in the humpback freak.
Never thought an Astra would restore my confidence in this razor.
No craving, no itches, simply a happy shaver here.

8A73B1AF-BC08-4F97-ACA4-33BADCAAEB79.jpeg

• Razorine Flatboy with 70 and 72 handles
  • Kox/Dutchy Bergamot hard soap with green Kox enemel shaving bowl
  • Haslinger Sandelholz with green Kox enemel shaving bowl
  • Travelbrush in blue aluminium (unbranded)
  • Leather toilet bag by Galen
With the risk of enabling I did promise to post pictures of my birthday treasures:

1BEE93B9-A827-486E-A7C6-366174E05EF8.jpeg
This is the bergamot hard soap Dutchy I used this morning.
F58B72F6-1B80-4712-9DC2-47D42DA74794.jpeg
This is the Haslinger Sandelholz for tomorrow.
1F47B862-A702-4053-A073-70D731EA76A1.jpeg
Here we have the Razorine on the right on the 72 handle and the KCG on the left mounted on the 70 handle. The KCG handle is currently in use for the R41 clone. Given yesterday’s horrendous shave an original R41 head is on its way (bought for need) which will go on the 72 handle. The clone is on its way to the bin.
B2B73AE5-A7F1-4EFD-A198-714079F92D08.jpeg

And finally everything together with the leather toilet bag by Galen Leather from Turkey. When unzipped it folds open like a doctor’s suitcase. You can also see the enemel shaving mugs/bowls that carry the hard soaps. O and of course the blue aluminium travel brush (synthetic).

One really happy camper went to TopGun 2 (I was 11 when Top Gun premiered 🙄😳 - Tom Cruise looked like he did not agree at all!!) earlier today with the mrs and then sushi for dinner.

Tomorrow another shave with the Flatboy!

Cheers,

Guido

Speaking of which...
:a17:

My calendar is booked!

Shark Week is July 24th - 31st ! I have some Shark blades and it sounds fun.
I am half-way committed to ARKO- August but that is a long time to use just one soap.

Tomorrow I am doing an Arko Thursday just for fun. :letterk1:

Given the fact that other gents in previous months were sometimes out on what I would view as minor purchases or need-purchases, I want to be fair and err on the safe side nonetheless Brandon - so I am out.

And I promised SWMBO that I will complete all remaining GRUMEs for 2022 without fail 😁😊😇.
That's perfectly fair and within your rights to make the call. It also speaks well of your personal integrity, so I support your call of "out". I'm looking forward to seeing you in the GRUME threads, August through December. :)

And when a brother bows out with grace and humility, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - (SOTM)
2) @Balin
3) @hopper_64
4) Guido75 - out (7/6: Birthday gifts)
5) @Multum in parvo
6) @JAHE
7) @Doti B
8) @tjsgarden
9) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
10) @iver
11) @cantujm
12) Kyle89 - out (7/3: Simpson M7 synth)
13) @cryhavoc
14) @ChriWilson - (SOTM)
15) @Alum Ladd
16) @Jack Goossen
17) @Chef455
18) @Stuart Ganis
19) @markmc
20) @sandorfi - SOTM
21) @LJBraaten
22) FL shaver - out (7/4: Palmolive soap)
23) @couch_potato
24) @bjm
25) @Dodger59
26) @sarir97
27) @zacktracy
28) @BobbyB

Also...happy birthday. 🎂

Last edited:
With the risk of enabling I did promise to post pictures of my birthday treasures:

View attachment 1483863
This is the bergamot hard soap Dutchy I used this morning.
View attachment 1483864
This is the Haslinger Sandelholz for tomorrow.
View attachment 1483865
Here we have the Razorine on the right on the 72 handle and the KCG on the left mounted on the 70 handle. The KCG handle is currently in use for the R41 clone. Given yesterday’s horrendous shave an original R41 head is on its way (bought for need) which will go on the 72 handle. The clone is on its way to the bin.
View attachment 1483866

And finally everything together with the leather toilet bag by Galen Leather from Turkey. When unzipped it folds open like a doctor’s suitcase. You can also see the enemel shaving mugs/bowls that carry the hard soaps. O and of course the blue aluminium travel brush (synthetic).

One really happy camper went to TopGun 2 (I was 11 when Top Gun premiered 🙄😳 - Tom Cruise looked like he did not agree at all!!) earlier today with the mrs and then sushi for dinner.

Tomorrow another shave with the Flatboy!

Cheers,

Guido

THANKS for the photos! Enjoy your goodies! I hope you stay in touch with us July grume-ers... John :letterk1:

SOTD #5
Single Pass SAS

Yesterday's shave happened way later than it should have and against my better judgement. Ended with a nice and clean result, however this blade left a lot to be desired. Didn't feel smooth as I thought it should have; compared to the various Personna bretheren I have used. Was plenty sharp and got the job done well enough. I ended up using an evening cream at bedtime to tame the skin.

FFWD to this morning's shave, post AM shower (irregular for me). Decided to go with a single-pass given the short duration between shaves and my skin still sensitive. Same blade, very nice finish; jury is still out on the post shave feel per this blade. Will most likely have a better feel for that tomorrow against a full series of passes.

• No Pre-Shave
  • Truefitt's 1805 (SOTM)
  • Simpson's Special - Best
  • Mühle R89
  • Personna ComfortCoated (2)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Nivea 2 in 1 Splash
  • Nivea Soothing Post Shave Balm

Still in and back from a quick vacation.

Razor: Charcoal Goods Everyday
Blade: Bic Chromium (2)
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
Brush: Omega Professional Boar
AS: Lucky Tiger

The CG does a great job on 99% of my face, but for the life of me I cannot get into my nostrils with it. Tonight I touched up with a Schick Extreme disposable. I may need to look into a trade or sale.

Still in.

Strong unnatural urges overwhelm me at night though :letterk1:

A British Army stamped 1944 W.J Myatt aluminum OC, probably used in Normandy. On my watchlist. You know where. I have signed out of that site, so I can't see the watchlist. But it knows that I know and someone has probably already bought it. Rare as heck too. Good price as well. Damn.

Irrational fear that 'they' are about to stop making Palmolive Classic tubed shave cream. Strong urge to buy 6 tubes.

I was unsure if it was correct to share such thoughts, this being the first GRUME for me.

This seems the logical place for support.

Just thought I would share.

Last edited:
Still in.

Strong unnatural urges overwhelm me at night though :letterk1:

A British Army stamped 1944 W.J Myatt aluminum OC, probably used in Normandy. On my watchlist. You know where. I have signed out of that site, so I can't see the watchlist. But it knows that I know and someone has probably already bought it. Rare as heck too. Good price as well. Damn.

Irrational fear that 'they' are about to stop making Palmolive Classic tubed shave cream. Strong urge to buy 6 tubes.

I was unsure if it was correct to share such thoughts, this being the first GRUME for me.

This seems the logical place for support.

Just thought I would share.
Alum Ladd, you are not alone! I am just coming up on my 1 year anniversary of wet shaving and almost 1 year at B&B.

I washed out of my first few GRUMES so I joined the year long sabbatical. I made it to May 13th this year without a purchase. I washed out of the sabbatical because of my fear of missing out on Tallow Tabac and a possible Russian blade shortage. I now have at least a decade supply of each....

So you are better off than I was! I didn't realize my fears were irrational until after my purchases!

When I'm feeling the urge to buy more, I look at the stock of what I have and then do a bit of math to figure out how long it will last and realize I can make it through the rest of the month!

Fully in. Just did shave #45 on my freshly honed Feather Blade and Tech. I’m wondering if the tech will feel a bit aggressive when it’s time to change blades. When that time comes, I plan to switch to my (inherited) Schick Korana for a few days, or until it is no longer cutting it.
Got out my Omega 45 Boar Brush, and had good luck with it this time. This was not a planned purchase, it just so happened that when I bought my Razor/Brush stand on eBay a while back that the best deal on the stand I wanted included a Brush. I probably used it less than 20 times.
Honing blades. That hone I bid on June 30 was won by another bidder. Although I felt like it was necessary, I was having second thoughts after seeing others holding such high standards on their acquisitions. So I am relieved I lost, and can say I haven’t made shaving purchases of any kind, not even resupply, since May 11. My CFO will be happy, too.

Top Bottom