What's new

July 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

This seems the logical place for support.

Just thought I would share.
Only you have that @Alum Ladd, none of us. We are excellent specimens of restraint and discipline. So thanks for sharing, but now deal with it….

No, kidding Alum, we are definitely in this together like brothers in arms. And those feelings seem to magnify once you enter a GRUME. As of the universe double down on you to test you or something.

You are mightily strong for loving of off the Bay Area. I did restrain myself from a couple of birthday razors, but logging off…wow…and then there is searching on Google because of all the wonderful pictures on this forum. It seems almost better to go off the grid entirely and only check in once in a while to say ‘still in’, but there is no fun in that right.

So rest assured that this is the best place to share these ponderings! But you got this! 🦾

Cheers,

Guido

Are you on the same schedule that I am? I've been a work from home guy since 2003 so I'm a midday shower and shave guy. I get through my morning calls, then hit the shower, shave have a bite to eat then I'm ready for the afternoon!
When I was a road warrior I would take the zero-dark-thirty shower to kick start the morning while the coffee brewed. I work predominantly in the home office unless there is an office function or if I need to work on a system or equipment asset; which is rare these days. My daily shower fluctuates depending on work schedule and AM exercise, but I regularly take a shower at night.

Date​
07.07.2022​
Main Focus:07/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
186/188 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors in July
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Haslinger Sandelholz
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Bowl:Kox Enemel Green \ Proraso
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminium
Passes:WTG (N-S)
XTG (NW-SE)
ATG (S-N)
Razor:Razorine Flatboy 72
Blade:Dorco Titan (2)
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Notes to today’s shave can be found here:A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11835970

Have a Great day everyone

GRUME July '22 #5

Good night sweet prince of Wilkinson 🤗 #10 shave was enough... according to my AS splash - too much. Great shave, 9.5/10 near BBS but with way too many blood dots, simply - blade edge was too grindy, not uncomfortable but simply damaged, causing skin cracks. Healed after cold water rinse and some AS, though. No need to stretch blade for that long 😁
IMG_20220707_100901.jpg

IMG_20220707_100957.jpg

For anyone concerned about Fatip coating - black vs gold side by side.

GRUME July '22 #5

Good night sweet prince of Wilkinson 🤗 #10 shave was enough... according to my AS splash - too much. Great shave, 9.5/10 near BBS but with way too many blood dots, simply - blade edge was too grindy, not uncomfortable but simply damaged, causing skin cracks. Healed after cold water rinse and some AS, though. No need to stretch blade for that long 😁
View attachment 1484043
View attachment 1484044
For anyone concerned about Fatip coating - black vs gold side by side.
I guess the gun metal finish is the achilles heel of the Fatip lineup. The chrome/gold/nickel finish is way more durable.

Only you have that @Alum Ladd, none of us. We are excellent specimens of restraint and discipline. So thanks for sharing, but now deal with it….

No, kidding Alum, we are definitely in this together like brothers in arms. And those feelings seem to magnify once you enter a GRUME. As of the universe double down on you to test you or something.

You are mightily strong for loving of off the Bay Area. I did restrain myself from a couple of birthday razors, but logging off…wow…and then there is searching on Google because of all the wonderful pictures on this forum. It seems almost better to go off the grid entirely and only check in once in a while to say ‘still in’, but there is no fun in that right.

So rest assured that this is the best place to share these ponderings! But you got this! 🦾

Cheers,

Guido
No worries, brother.
I'll defend the Netherlands' honour for the both of us 🇱🇺🧀

ATTENTION!
This post is intended for Mature Audiences Only.
Rated MA; possible gore and graphic content

PXL_20220707_133139711.PORTRAIT.jpg

Don't say you have not been warned...

ARKO THURSDAY!!!

but wait theres more!!! Much More!!!

***scroll down at your own risk***

Please! Don't let your children try this at home!

PXL_20220707_133139711.PORTRAIT.jpg

This momentous and daring feat, for the first time ever, anywhere! is preparation for SHARK WEEK AND ARKO AUGUST.

Not just one amazing heroic achievement BUT BOTH dangerous acts AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Maybe AMERICAS GOT TALENT (AGT) should pay attention.

I am a daredevil, trained stuntman, extreme risk taker (that has a trained medic on stand-by) and will attempt the most challenging shave OF ALL TIME!!!.

Notice in the trailer photo, a special razor WITH LARGE TEETH, (IN honor of JAWS) a new, never used SHARK SS blade and the famous/infamous ARKO soap

See the exciting conclusion TOMORROW... if I survive this once in a lifetime achievement!!!

BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW!
THIS WILL BE A SELLOUT EVENT

GOOD DAY! :letterk1::letterk1::letterk1::letterk1:

GRUME July '22 #5

I know what you mean. I try to push blades to their limits, but once they start to get grooved or chipped, that’s it. My Nacets had a tendency to chip, but not the Feathers. This is making me rethink whether or not the plastic packaging issue should be overlooked due to the longevity of their blade life. But I won’t have to make that decision for a very very long time. Two years ago I bought a sample pack of 100 blades, and along the way a 5 pack of Nacets, and some blades came with two razors I purchased. I also purchased a sample pack of single edge. I used all the Nacets, have most of the blades that came with the razors, and still 95 of the sample pack left. The only “legitimate” reason I will have to buy blades is if I decide to continue shaving with a single edge razor.

I know what you mean. I try to push blades to their limits, but once they start to get grooved or chipped, that’s it. My Nacets had a tendency to chip, but not the Feathers. This is making me rethink whether or not the plastic packaging issue should be overlooked due to the longevity of their blade life. But I won’t have to make that decision for a very very long time. Two years ago I bought a sample pack of 100 blades, and along the way a 5 pack of Nacets, and some blades came with two razors I purchased. I also purchased a sample pack of single edge. I used all the Nacets, have most of the blades that came with the razors, and still 95 of the sample pack left. The only “legitimate” reason I will have to buy blades is if I decide to continue shaving with a single edge razor.
Feathers didn't work for me, for some reason. I did only sample pack of 5, and can't dispute sharpness but guess that sharpening angle makes the edge too thin, and more degradable. Feather had least longevity for me, maybe 3 shaves max but made nicks in places that were nick-proof, end up as "one shave wonder". For all rest I get usually 4-5 normal shaves, Persona, Perma-Sharp push up to 10, didn't expect this much from Wilkinson tbh, I like steady performing blades, average sharpness but steady dulling over the time if that makes sense?

Still in!! Same gear as yesterday except for the brush. I am sticking to the same gear Monday to Fridays, ie my work week and then changing it up on the weekend or my days off!

Pre: Proraso White
Soap/AS: Tabac
Brush: Thater 4125/2 2 band
Razor: WR1 .67 OC
Blade: Wizamet (4)

I don't know if its a function of sticking with the same razor for 6-7 weeks or if I finally have the proper pressure but my blade longevity has increased. I used to change blades ever 3 shaves but I have been getting a week on these Wizamets!!! I guess that means my blade stash, hoard, stockpile will last longer!!

Feathers didn't work for me, for some reason. I did only sample pack of 5, and can't dispute sharpness but guess that sharpening angle makes the edge too thin, and more degradable. Feather had least longevity for me, maybe 3 shaves max but made nicks in places that were nick-proof, end up as "one shave wonder". For all rest I get usually 4-5 normal shaves, Persona, Perma-Sharp push up to 10, didn't expect this much from Wilkinson tbh, I like steady performing blades, average sharpness but steady dulling over the time if that makes sense?
There are probably many reasons why a blade works well for some and not others. It really is true, YMMV (for blades, razors, soaps, brushes..).
I am definitely in the minority around here when it comes to squeezing all possible shaves out of a blade. Many here want a quick close shave that can be done in 2-3 passes, and I can understand that. I am always surprised and grateful when I get out that new blade and get a quick and effective shave. (My wife: "you're already done shaving?") But I have decided that as long as the edge remains in tact, I am willing to take multiple passes to get the job done. But I've learned a few lessons along the way. Primarily, I have to trust that the blade is doing the job, and not be tempted to "help" it by applying more pressure. This is counter-intuitive for me. But I have been surprised after a first pass when the blade didn't seem to be doing anything except dragging or skipping off the top of my whiskers to find that on the second pass progress had been made! When I tried forcing the blade to cut I didn't get a quicker shave, but I always ended up with skin irritation and often worse - nicks, cuts, and weepers. I generally place my blade in the recycling tin when it starts developing chips, or if no number of passes will give me at least a CCS. My gauge is whether or not I can feel whiskers under my lip when I draw my upper lip over it.

Top Bottom