What's new

July 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

SOTD
  • FOCS Chrome
  • Nacet (15)
  • Tabac and Omega
  • SOC Taj Resin
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Orange Chill ASB
  • Stirling Bergamot Lavendar AS
I have been very busy and skipped a few shaves. This morning, I went back to the FOCS to take care of my extended growth and it did not disappoint. After using the Beagle for a few weeks, I decided to pull out the SOC Taj boar brush. Unfortunately, the Taj didn't pick up much Tabac at all and since I was in a time crunch - needing to get SWMBO to the airport - I just squeezed out some Omega Eucalyptus shaving cream to get enough lather for the second pass. I was happy with the combined lather and the result of the shave.

As a side note, the Stirling Bay Rum ASB has been 3017ed. I'll miss it, but I have more Stirling ASB to get through.

Onward!

Still in.

I've had a lot of honing epiphanies in the last 48 hours, putting together hints from the forum, and watching Doc221 videos. I've been busily applying the lessons, and honing up a storm. This is all good...almost.

It was certainly good for today's shave, for which I took that same Iwasaki I've been shaving with for a week, and put it back on my top hard JNat razor hone, invigorated by new information. I used more slurry this time, and used smooth glide over the stone as a way of judging when to take a peek at the edge, among other subtleties.

And I got a great shave! Not Method territory, but a lot closer. The only dark spot was a couple of areas of irritation, but that was because I needed to rebevel to deal with small dings at the toe and heel that I hadn't properly addressed (long story).

So that leads to the bad part, tomorrow's shave:

1627263132332.png

This is that same kamisori, now rebeveled. Why the first-aid kit? I said rebeveled, not honed. My plan is to shave with this edge just as it is, off of the 1000 grit Naniwa Hibiki stone. It feels (to my thumb) like you could do that, and anyway, an experienced honer here said the thing was possible, once you really "get" honing. So I guess this will be a good test. Or one more entry in the "stupid things I have done" list. We'll see.

Still out but under control
I was on vacation for last week and I enjoyed my Yates 921 Eh for that week, however I was itching for a change today. I used my Stirling stainless and it actually reinforced the idea that the rogue purchase from July was a good idea. I'd be very sad to lose this razor for whatever reason, and with (hopefully) 60 plus years ahead of me I'm glad I have a back up.
0725211718a~2.jpg

Still in, last night a shave with the FOCS.

Fatip 'FOCS'
Bic Chrome Platinum (5)
Muhle Rytmo badger
Barbiere di Figaro Esclusivo (mixed with Proraso Wood & Spice and glycerine)
ASB Nivea sensitive skin.

After second pass small nick at the neck area. Made the fault to apply alumn block.
The lathered soap vanished the moment I used it on my face so I made some new lather.
Last pass was a bit rough. Again something learned.

Still in, tried out the OC plate that came with my FaTip Special Edition. A close shave, but probably should have stopped after 2 passes and not started out with as sharp a blade!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Face Buff Energising Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Lea Shave Stick

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle & Black Pepper Aftershave balm
- Arran Lochranza Aftershave Balm

Tools
- FaTip Piccolo OC
- Vikings Sword (4)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Fragrance for the day
- Davidoff - Cool Water Celebration Edition

…and out with a Bang…
After visiting 7 stores all morning long.
4 refill pucks with the tallow formula - all found at the third store.
View attachment 1302279
Considering the hullabaloo surrounding the reformulation, I can't really blame you. I'll be sad to see the tallow formula go by the wayside. I have other soaps that perform nearly as well, but none will help me get through Tabactober!

As usual, feel free to play along at home (and continue to post if you like) and I hope we'll see you in August.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @hopper_64
3) Sinnbad11 - out (7/12: Stirling SS razor)
4) SharpieB - out (7/14: Kent brush)
5) @Roedeer
6) @Herrenberg
7) @Owen Bawn
8) @RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB
9) Contact_vs_Feedback - out (7/3: Home-made ASB in June)
10) @henrickd - GRUYERE
11) @JKar
12) @Doti B
13) mattps1 - out (7/14: Strop)
14) Tomo - out (7/13: SR safe supplies)
15) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
16) Schnitzel52 - out (7/3: Gillette Tech from PIF)
17) @‘Bout Time
18) @pdieten - GRUYERE
19) @Stuart Ganis
20) @wmadoty - GRUYERE
21) @Timeclo
22) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE, QUADSAB
23) @sandorfi
24) linty1 - out (7/19: eBay Rooney brush)
25) @tjsgarden
26) @Kyle89
27) Multum in parvo - out (7/26: Tabac tallow)
28) @FL shaver
29) scoots - out (7/21: DG soap and AS)
30) @Abz88
31) @La Malice

And I'm out for the rest of the month!

Just ordered a Tabac in bowl, (my first ever).
...And a Pearl Flexi.
Zoinks! See my post above.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) hopper_64 - out (7/26: Tabac tallow)
3) Sinnbad11 - out (7/12: Stirling SS razor)
4) SharpieB - out (7/14: Kent brush)
5) @Roedeer
6) @Herrenberg
7) @Owen Bawn
8) @RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB
9) Contact_vs_Feedback - out (7/3: Home-made ASB in June)
10) @henrickd - GRUYERE
11) @JKar
12) @Doti B
13) mattps1 - out (7/14: Strop)
14) Tomo - out (7/13: SR safe supplies)
15) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
16) Schnitzel52 - out (7/3: Gillette Tech from PIF)
17) @‘Bout Time
18) @pdieten - GRUYERE
19) @Stuart Ganis
20) @wmadoty - GRUYERE
21) @Timeclo
22) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE, QUADSAB
23) @sandorfi
24) linty1 - out (7/19: eBay Rooney brush)
25) @tjsgarden
26) @Kyle89
27) Multum in parvo - out (7/26: Tabac tallow)
28) @FL shaver
29) scoots - out (7/21: DG soap and AS)
30) @Abz88
31) @La Malice

Still in. I can start to see the GRUME finish line, off in the distance.

I can now say that I have shaved with a 1000 grit edge. I took this on because I was so pleased with the clean and keen edge I started getting from my 1000 grit Naniwa Hibiki, after I studied YouTube videos for a while, and improved my techniques.

I didn't get a great shave. Feeling my neck and cheeks, I can't say I got a good shave. But I did get a shave, which is more than I expected. It was perfectly comfortable. The only tugging happened when going XTG above my lip, to trim below my mustache. The main shortcoming was that it was not at all a close shave. It was closer on my neck than on my cheeks, for some reason. Maybe more effective stretching.

So I guess I can check "shaved with 1000 grit edge" off of my list, and there is no need to ever do that again. The best result was not the shave, but the hint it gives that I'm on the right track to improving my honing.

Still in. Another day, another hotel, campground or base camp. I had a great time working and vacationing in Alaska and am now enjoying a work trip to Minnesota. The heat and humidity is oppressive here though.

I slipped home and picked up my favorite head shaver razor. I’m driving now so I don’t have to worry about TSA and DE blades.

Headshave only:

Leaf razor w/Astra SP (4)
Simpson Wee Scot
PAA Diver Down CK-6 stick
Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel
Badass Beard Wash

I missed you fellas (and Claire)

proxy.php

Last edited:
Day 26, 83.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Wizamet SI #3
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

Same again. These blades are a lot better than I thought at first (and I have 240 more of them).

Just ordered a Tabac in bowl, (my first ever)

Talk of soap reformulations makes me nervous. Products that I use have a bad habit of disappearing from the shelves, or turning up with "new improved" ersatz recipes.

I'm tempted to get a bulk order of MWF, as I've only got 2 spare pucks. Must resist...

Top Bottom