What's new

July 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

IMG-3032.jpg

Razor: R41-RR SLOC Hybrid
Blade: Gillette Super Thin (4)
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip
Soap: Razorock XXX
Aftershave: RR XXX Fresco

IMG-3027.jpg

The knot popped out of the brush when I cleaned it after the shave.
Will glue it back when it has dried.

Still in.

Honed the same kamisori with the last of my plausible finishers, an odd-shaped but beautiful Nakayama Kiita whose sharpening surface is just barely wide enough for a kamisori. This time I took a cue from a honing video I watched, by Mr. Iwasaki himself, and generated a lot more slurry, using a nagura that was probably a lot like the stone I was honing on.

That worked. This is by no means my finest hard JNat hone, a thing I know because I've looked at the scratches they all produce under a microscope. But it was the best of my hard JNat off-the-stone shaves, by far. The edge was almost too keen, even though I don't believe that there is such a thing. No toothiness, no irritation. It did not get as close on the few most challenging areas as a Method edge, but it exceled at everything else, and something about the edge hints that I might get an even better shave by just stropping and shaving with it tomorrow. Very interesting.

Now I have to go back to my other hard JNats and try to make them perform like they should. I'm guessing "make lots of slurry" is the key. Lots of stuff to play with here, so I'm too busy with it to think about buying other shaving gear.

Still in but I’m not sure if I will be by the end of Monday…
I plan a brick&mortar tour for stock of Tabac with the former tallow base before it will be replaced by the new formula.
I have currently 1 puck with hardly a dent in it and 2 refills. As it goes it will be used for the next few years only for Tabactober as I happily reduce all the other stuff that I bought over last 12 months.
For now I’m thinking about getting 1 new mug and probably 4 more refills.

Still in, on holiday last week and used the same setup the whole time.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Daily Facial Cleanser
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Lea Shave Stick

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle & Black Pepper Aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette '58 TV Special Super Speed
- Vikings Sword
- Omega 50014

Still in but I’m not sure if I will be by the end of Monday…
I plan a brick&mortar tour for stock of Tabac with the former tallow base before it will be replaced by the new formula.
I have currently 1 puck with hardly a dent in it and 2 refills. As it goes it will be used for the next few years only for Tabactober as I happily reduce all the other stuff that I bought over last 12 months.
For now I’m thinking about getting 1 new mug and probably 4 more refills.
Tabac's being reformulated?!

Day 24, 77.4% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Wizamet SI #1
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

I don't know if it was the fresh Wizamet or just coincidence, but got a near-perfect result. BBS face with no post-shave sting. (If you've done any harm, the 2-phase lets you know.)

I don't set out to get a BBS neck, but it's about as smooth as I've ever managed, with no irritation.

Maybe the 365 shaves challenge is starting to pay off.

Still in.

They had better not reformulate MWF. Much as I enjoy my other soaps, I think I could be happy with SV as my fancy soap, for days when I want something perfect, and MWF for all the other days, when I just want a soap that will never let me down.

My shaving-off-the-stone project has assumed monster-like proportions. I've been watching @Doc226 videos, and learning how to hone without spending days nurturing a perfectly-flat bevel from stone to slightly-finer stone.

My neat row of razors, resting on thick green wool felt, has sprouted a few labels telling me which finish hone I used on them. I am way behind in trying all the variations. I'm even behind in trying out new razors, going all @Owen Bawn and not even using some that I bought last month, even though I've honed them, and even though they are dream razors for me. It's not that I am not interested and eager. It's some sort of combination of self-denial and being busy with this honing project. It's a fun place to be, and the thought has even entered my head that I finally have just the right razors for me, no need to buy more. I don't know whether it will last, but at the moment I do not crave any shave stuff I don't have. I crave a chance to try what I already have, after I put my newly-improved honing to work.

Still in
Last nights shave was
Pre-shave:Warm shower
Brush: Omega S Brush
Razor:Rockwell 6C (5)
Blade: Gillette 7 O’clock Green (1)
Soap: MDC Agrumes
Post shave:Alum block
D R Harris Windsor AS Splash
Trumper Limes skin food
Molton Brown Bushukan EDT

Result: A very comfortable BBS shave again. Three passes (WTG/XTG/ATG) and no touch ups required. Very impressed. Maybe just maybe plate 5 is the best way to tackle 4 days growth for me 😎😎😎😎

Still Out.

I took out the Midnight Dreary to give the Sunday evening shave a pleasantly complex touch.

This RazoRock 400 Special Edition Noir brush is a great (beginner) brush, and for the time being till I've got a better idea about the new synthetic bristles, this old gentleman brush is working very well.

IMG_20210725_192120.jpg

Still in. Switched back to the FOCS after a while. Man is this a great razor!
Razor: FOCS Blades: Wizamet Brush: Sagrada Familia Bowl: Timeless Soap: Haslinger Aloe Vera A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue I have changed my approach to a load and go with this razor, y’all were right. That is the way to do it! Great shave this morning! Have a great day y’all!
26860013-FF17-42FC-90AC-B7B48D6306C8.jpeg

The August thread is up:

Top Bottom