What's new

July 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Also, I'm very sorry :(

But I'm out.

I placed an ebay bid today on an Rooney brush that started with a low bid thinking "its a Rooney brush, I'll never win it (because..... Rooney brush), I'll just toss in a low cursory bid" and I won it for 17 gbp. ($30cad).

Honestly? I feel crummy having done it as I wish I had completed the Grume and gotten into the winning side of things. My record now stands at 1-2.
You won't win if you don't bid, and you won't bid if you don't look. ;)

No apology necessary. My GRUME is for me, and y'all are along for the ride, whereas your GRUME is for you. Make of that what you will. In any case, if the Rooney is usable, that's quite a score.

As usual, feel free to play along at home (and continue to post if you like) and endeavor to "win" 30 out of 31 days. I hope we'll see you in August.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @hopper_64
3) Sinnbad11 - out (7/12: Stirling SS razor)
4) SharpieB - out (7/14: Kent brush)
5) @Roedeer
6) @Herrenberg
7) @Owen Bawn
8) @RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB
9) Contact_vs_Feedback - out (7/3: Home-made ASB in June)
10) @henrickd - GRUYERE
11) @JKar
12) @Doti B
13) mattps1 - out (7/14: Strop)
14) Tomo - out (7/13: SR safe supplies)
15) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
16) Schnitzel52 - out (7/3: Gillette Tech from PIF)
17) @‘Bout Time
18) @pdieten - GRUYERE
19) @Stuart Ganis
20) @wmadoty - GRUYERE
21) @Timeclo
22) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE, QUADSAB
23) @sandorfi
24) linty1 - out (7/19: eBay Rooney brush)
25) @tjsgarden
26) @Kyle89
27) @Multum in parvo
28) @FL shaver
29) @scoots
30) @Abz88
31) @La Malice

Last edited:
Still in -- even though I'm involved in a PIF. That's because it's my very own PIF, first one ever. Probably not the last one, though.

So what I shaved with today was my PIF razor, an undistinguished auction kamisori that gave me a great shave. I'm really gratified by where my honing skills are lately. I'm getting almost good. Not fast -- I spent two days on this razor. But good enough to make myself happy.

It was also my first pasted balsa shave in several days, and it was very gratifying to have that keen edge just mowing the whiskers down like it was the easiest thing in the world. Maybe the edge didn't have "soul," like the off-the-stone people like to talk about. But it sure worked really, really well.

Day 19, 61.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
GC.68 OC, Astra SP #4
Post-shave: Hyaluronic acid and Nivea Balm.

Got an excellent lather with the tamped-down MWF. BBS face. Then broke my own rules for neck-shaving, and got a very close result at the expense of comfort. You know you've pushed your luck when Nivea Balm stings.

Still in. A shave with Da FAT!

SOTD 07192021.jpg

That evening light makes the picture real pretty. Excellent lather with MWF. Almost BBS result without much irritations.

Still in
Last nights shave
Pre-Shave: Warm face wash
Brush:Omega S Brush
Razor: Rockwell 6C (3)
Blade: Personna Platinum (3)
Soap: Monsavon Bol A Raser
Post-Shave: Alum Block
Davidoff Cool Water AS Splash

Nice relaxing BBS shave. Needed as it’s very hot and humid at the minute 😅😅😅

Still in - final Shark shave
DFS no blood
798FF062-4F31-4001-95A1-D82F79179E09.jpeg

btw I think my Omega Travel Boar turns into a shedder.
More than 5 bristles in each of the last 3 shaves. It certainly doesn’t get enough dry time between shaves and compared to last years vacation I shave more frequently.

Next year I will bring a Synth and a badger or boar.

Last edited:
Still in,

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso Sensitive skin white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso Shaving Soap Sensitive Skin Jar
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Shark SS (1)
Post : alum block ,Proraso Sensitive skin white , Gold bond powder

2 pass + clean up. simple shave

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This restraint is for July 1-31, 2021.

If you're seeing this late and you've made no purchases in July, feel free to jump in. Registration closes on the 15th.

Have what you need and use what you have: that is our definition of "Restraint". The idea is to use, learn about and enjoy what you have, restraining yourself from making frivolous purchases.

This monthly restraint is perfect for those who have failed the yearly or quarterly sabbatical and want to curb their ADs. Keep fighting the urges! If you fail out of the GRUME, please tell the group, take your (friendly) lumps and continue to play along at home.

There will be roll calls during the restraint. Check-ins, especially with SOTD info and pics, are encouraged and mutual support is appreciated. :)

All are welcome!

Rules:

1.a. If you were in the June GRUME, 7/1 is your restock date for any needed product (i.e., it's not an excuse for treewhaling).
1.b. If you were not in the June GRUME, you do not get a restock date in July; plan ahead and see Rule 1.c., below.
1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.

2. No personal shaving purchases in July. Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle (PIF or Gifting). Members are not allowed to request any form of compensation in return. Please use your best judgement. Also, no sampling or testing of those gift items.

3.a. GIFT cards (including eBay bucks, Amazon gift cards, credit card reward points, etc.) cannot be redeemed for shaving items, even if the cards were purchased and/or received in previous months.
3.b. The "Birthday Rule": Members are not allowed to ask (or even hint) for shaving gear as gifts for any occasion.

4. Any shaving-related services, like replating or restorations, cannot be arranged or paid for in the month of the restraint if they are not strictly necessary.

5. You are encouraged to engage in trades (especially with each other), but don't enter any PIFs. Signing up for a product waitlist (without placing a deposit) is acceptable.

6. If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on the rules above.

Exceptions:

1. Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to restraints commitments, please limit B&B purchases to one (1) shaving item per month, including contributions to B&B! (All Non-Shaving B&B items are fair game.)

2. During the season, Sue Moore Items are all exempt from the-no buying rules. Treewhaling on anything Sue Moore-related is encouraged.

3. Members who are in a Quarterly or Yearly sabbatical are allowed to exercise their documented exceptions for those events without failing the monthly restraint.

Mods:

Please leave this thread in the General Shaving Discussion forum until July 15th so we can get as many as possible to see the GRUME. Afterwards, feel free to move the thread to Brotherhoods and Clubs. Thanks!

Tips:

Check out this Wiki article for tips on how to survive a Restraint (or GRUME). It includes a comprehensive checklist to help you figure out whether you've got everything you need for the month.
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Help:...ve_a_Restraint

How to Join:

Copy the entire list below
and add your number and name to the bottom. Also, you are welcome to update your signature to show you are in the restraint; for example, "GRUME - [Month] 2020 #1". To do so, click Settings at the top of the forum and then click Edit Signature on the left.

1) FoolishMortal
2)
3)
I haven’t bought anything except Old Spice AS in well over a year.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Frugal or overstocked? ;)
I have 30+ straight razors (only need one actually), an Omega boar brush I’ve used 12 years, several tubes of Palmolive cream and several Williams pucks (i lather the cream on top of the Williams). After shave is the only thing that needs regular replenishing.

Shaving is an incredibly simple and inexpensive process so I don’t complicate it beyond the basic necessities. I started shaving in 1964 and figured it out rather quickly.

When I began to use straight razors a few years ago, I did go on a bit of a buying spree for a couple of years and I tried a few soaps, all of which languish in some drawer I expect but the faddish aspect quickly wore off and I realized simplicity was where Nirvana lay.

I have 30+ straight razors (only need one actually), an Omega boar brush I’ve used 12 years, several tubes of Palmolive cream and several Williams pucks (i lather the cream on top of the Williams). After shave is the only thing that needs regular replenishing.

Shaving is an incredibly simple and inexpensive process so I don’t complicate it beyond the basic necessities. I started shaving in 1964 and figured it out rather quickly.

When I began to use straight razors a few years ago, I did go on a bit of a buying spree for a couple of years and I tried a few soaps, all of which languish in some drawer I expect but the faddish aspect quickly wore off and I realized simplicity was where Nirvana lay.
I call that frugal and self-contained. Around here this is a great accomplishment!
Congratulations on reaching your Nirvana.

Day 20, 64.5% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Astra SP #5
Post-shave: Hyaluronic acid and Nivea Balm.

Having used the open comb .68 for a week, it works well and looks good, but I find safety bars more comfortable for daily use.

Back to the Rockwell, and got a relaxing DFS. The head pairs up well with this knurly Ti handle, and it gets the weight down to 88g.

DSCN4811_compressed.JPG

Top Bottom