What's new

July 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - final Shark Week SOTD
DFS, no complaints - no blood
043765D2-F375-46F0-85BB-EFBE7321C7EE.jpeg

Well as the gods of the GRUME said may wife did not made me failed the GRUME this month with her kindness, it was time to honor her gift… and go back to basic for me … aka Proraso all sensitive white product shave.

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso Sensitive skin white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso Shaving Soap Sensitive Skin Jar
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Shark SS (0)
Post : alum block ,Proraso Sensitive skin white , Gold bond powder

I am going to have to learn to load that brush better as I had to reload it between each pass but a simple 3 pass shave with not much fuss. This set up work for me, better than the Gillette Pure for sure. I’ll put another 2 shave on that blade and then will try a Voshkod again … Is it spring again as this was the set up that carried me through it ? Could be it summer do not appear to have kick in yet in tis part of Texas either . oh well the dull drum of august are fast approaching.

Still in.

Same kamisori, new way of doing the edge straight off the stone.

Considering what this thread is about, I guess I don't have to ask whether you have ever seen a listing of something for sale, and immediately had your entire being wake up, and your entire purpose to become buying that thing. It hasn't happened often to me; not in the five years previous to this one, but it happened twice this year.

One was when I heard that Iwasaki was making tamahagane razors again (bye bye June GRUME!)

The other was when I saw a listing for the stone I honed with today.

If you spend some time in the JNat world, you may come to believe that there are amazing stones out there that you will never, ever have a chance to buy. They are permanently in someone's collection, or traded only through trusted contacts in Japan. And yet you never stop hoping that you will be lucky enough to have one of these special stones will come your way.

That's part of why I almost went into vapor lock when I saw someone post a stone for sale that was described roughly like this:

I don't know what kind of stone this is, I just know it's a barber stone. I bought it from a barber shop in Japan that was going out of business. It had been in use there since at least the 1930s.

Hello, perfect backstory! I grabbed it. The seller had been using it on sushi knives. Today, I honed my Iwasaki with it and shaved.

Wow. The stone was so soft-seeming, so easy to use, that I did not imagine it could be fine enough to shave with. But it was, magnificently. The edge was so keen, so capable, that I stopped partway through the shave to see whether I had accidentally grabbed a pasted balsa razor. Nope. This was a great cutter like a pasted balsa edge, but soft somehow, very comfortable. The shave was excellent, very much on a par with my pasted balsa shaves.

I still have some finishers I could try out. I certainly plan to go back and try to improve my honing on the ones that didn't produce a result as good as I think they should. But it's hard to believe that any will do as well as this remarkable stone did.

Day 18, 58% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Gillette Gel
Brush: Men-U boar
GC.68 OC, Astra SP #3
Post-shave: Hyaluronic acid and Nivea Balm.

If you use Gillette Gel according to the instructions, it's a) too thick, and b) more trouble to apply with your fingers than using a real soap and brush.

If you treat it as a tinned shaving cream, it bowl-lathers easily, provides reasonable slickness, and (for me at least) doesn't cause irritation. This stuff can be 3017ed.

Got a similar result to Saturday, BBS face and non-irritated neck.

Still in... for now.
SOTD:
Prep: Hot shower
Razor: Kropp full hollow
Brush: Parker BKBB
Soap: Stirling Almond Creme (blought for my wife, but I haven’t tried Stirling before so yes, I nabbed some)

The Stirling soap was great. I think it was better than the sudsy soapery I’ve been using for a long time. Just a better feeling lather. This razor and I just don’t get along. I had one weeper on my chin and another under my nose. I continue to use it because the edge on my other really needs some work and I’m going to take a crack at it when my stone gets here. Then I’ll probably end up sending it out again. The after shave balm was crap. I decided to use it because their balms work great for me, and I figured the lemon scent would go fine with the almond. But I took it on vacation about a year ago and something with the plane made it separate, which I knew before, but now it smells just terrible. I haven’t used it in awhile because SWMBO doesn’t like it. I threw it out. And I’m almost out of my other balm. I have plenty of soaps at the moment, but no balm.

I joined this challenge thinking that it was the wrong challenge for me and that it was going to be way too easy. I just don’t buy stuff for shaving. I’m happy with my setup. However, since joining and spending more time on B&B I find myself wanting to try more soaps and I really want another brush.... so I’m probably going to use this need for a balm as an excuse to buy another soap/balm combo with a balm that I can use with the Strop Shoppe soap I was gifted. :lol:

Wow. That got long. Sorry

Still in... for now.
SOTD:
Prep: Hot shower
Razor: Kropp full hollow
Brush: Parker BKBB
Soap: Stirling Almond Creme (blought for my wife, but I haven’t tried Stirling before so yes, I nabbed some)

The Stirling soap was great. I think it was better than the sudsy soapery I’ve been using for a long time. Just a better feeling lather. This razor and I just don’t get along. I had one weeper on my chin and another under my nose. I continue to use it because the edge on my other really needs some work and I’m going to take a crack at it when my stone gets here. Then I’ll probably end up sending it out again. The after shave balm was crap. I decided to use it because their balms work great for me, and I figured the lemon scent would go fine with the almond. But I took it on vacation about a year ago and something with the plane made it separate, which I knew before, but now it smells just terrible. I haven’t used it in awhile because SWMBO doesn’t like it. I threw it out. And I’m almost out of my other balm. I have plenty of soaps at the moment, but no balm.

I joined this challenge thinking that it was the wrong challenge for me and that it was going to be way too easy. I just don’t buy stuff for shaving. I’m happy with my setup. However, since joining and spending more time on B&B I find myself wanting to try more soaps and I really want another brush.... so I’m probably going to use this need for a balm as an excuse to buy another soap/balm combo with a balm that I can use with the Strop Shoppe soap I was gifted. :lol:

Wow. That got long. Sorry
Buy the balm if you need the balm. Replacements are allowed.

linty1

My wallet cries.
4C6FD71F-5AAA-4C97-8D87-23DF427E6FC6.jpeg

Still in.

Was going to wait until after lunch but couldn't. I'm starting to really think I like the nacet blades more than these gsb ones.

Also this razor (who's name I forget) while good, has a really small/short handle and for some reason I'm just not -comfortable- with it, if that makes sense.

The boar brush however, is amazing. I love it.

View attachment 1299011

Still in.

Was going to wait until after lunch but couldn't. I'm starting to really think I like the nacet blades more than these gsb ones.

Also this razor (who's name I forget) while good, has a really small/short handle and for some reason I'm just not -comfortable- with it, if that makes sense.

The boar brush however, is amazing. I love it.
That looks like a '40's Style SuperSpeed.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Also, I'm very sorry :(

But I'm out.

I placed an ebay bid today on an Rooney brush that started with a low bid thinking "its a Rooney brush, I'll never win it (because..... Rooney brush), I'll just toss in a low cursory bid" and I won it for 17 gbp. ($30cad).

Honestly? I feel crummy having done it as I wish I had completed the Grume and gotten into the winning side of things. My record now stands at 1-2.

Top Bottom