What's new

July 2021 Acquisitions

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ok, there was some confusion. Let's try this again.

Cobs don't count due to their cost and abuse-ability. They're a consumable item, like pipe cleaners. They're made to get dropped in a lake when a bass takes your popper. They're made to get run over by the lawnmower or gunked up with sawdust (or worse) in your workshop. But they only don't count if it's 3 or under. 4 is a purchase¹.

Bulk tobacco 2oz and under don't count either. Those fall under a single pouch rule. One single pouch of SWR, H&H or Iwan Reis Three Star Blue can in no way count towards a tobacco purchase² as song as its a single pouch or bulk equivalent per transaction.

Tins may or may not count. This depends completely on the artwork on the tin and the ease of the budgetary committee to use said tin in a craft project she saw on Pinterest. These shall be decided on a case by case basis. But pretty much count on them counting.

Any limited runs, group buys, unobtainium drops may be purchased under "Emergency Use" and shall be exempt from counting, but still draw from the tobacco budget. The 4 pounds of Esoterica Brigadoon you jumped on doesn't count, but it still ate your tobacco budget. The pouch of Captain Black doesn't count as a purchase against your tobacco budget.

So Rookie went to his favorite local tobacconist. He *bought* 2 tins of C&D Generica, 3 ounces of PS Cube Cut, a tin of Mac Baren Tongue Fire, and a pretty little something from the Basket. He also *got* a MM Freehand, a pack of bristle cleaners, an ounce of Lane 1Q³, and a can of Zippo fluid.

¹I'm sure the budgetary committee in your castle has a hobby with similar financial oddities. Compromise is never a dirty word.

²See footnote (¹)

³Lane 1Q is the ever present single theme in any tobacconist. They all have a jar of it. And if you're not paying attention, they'll slip in an ounce to your order
I’m liking the way you think.

True but in a month they don’t look so big again
That tub came at the perfect dryness level! I'd never seen that before. I opened it abs get ready to set some out to dry, but I didn't have to. Still in disbelief, I loaded up my trusty MM Mark Twain and went to town! Well, I went to my front porch. Smoked down to ash on the initial light (the one after the charring light). No wonder those former, current, and future codgers bought it by the tub! So much better than a pouch! And it's already flying out of the tub since it's so fuss free. I can see it playing about 2 months.

That about the cobs, that's not quick thinking on my part, as much as I wish it were. That's after intense negotiations between Procurement and Budgetary Committees. But that's how collective bargaining can work for you.

Blue Room Briars is having their annual 15% off sitewide sale. Picked up this Bill Walther blasted egg. Fantastic mechanics.
IMG_2996.JPG

and a few cleaners, 4,800 to be exact.

IMG_2995.JPG

I spotted Blue Room Briars' 15% off sale, and seized on this: Georg Jensen 09 Sandblast Billiard with Brass Estate Pipe – Blue Room Briars - https://tinyurl.com/zp5wrbz

I've been going back and forth between this Georg Jensen, a Chacom billiard with a nickel band, and a Chacom panel foursquare in a deep black. I liked all 3, but the big panel I thought might be a little overwhelming for me. And I wanted a dark straight sandblast, a traditional "English" kind of pipe, or like the kind pictured in so many of the Codger Cabin ads.

I'd forgotten, but Blue Room remembered my $1.00 credit from my previous transaction, when the pipe I chose plus shipping was $1.00 less than the credit for 2 of my old pipes. This is my 3rd buy from them. Scott's customer service has been great.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don’t jar it; I smoke it 😂
The top layer keeps the underlying moist all the way to the bottom. I really like those big tubs. I have eight open at the moment and never run into “too dry”.

This. And that top layer is usually just at the right condition for ready smoking.

Gee, learn something every day. Guess I'll dump the CH back in the tub. :biggrin1:

Although I do have an open tub of Granger that's pretty dry. Guess it might be the different cut.

Gee, learn something every day. Guess I'll dump the CH back in the tub. :biggrin1:

Although I do have an open tub of Granger that's pretty dry. Guess it might be the different cut.
Next time try just popping it open and experiencing the codger scoop. Perfectly dry tobacco, not overly dry. I can't help you with the Granger though, I've never had that. But I'm sure someone will be here in a minute to say.

Ordered a pouch of Sir Walter (my first from Feb. is almost gone) and 2 oz. of Edgeworth Match from P&C. I considered adding some Briggs Match and some Velvet, but I really do have *plenty* of tobacco. These two items will just replenish my stock.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

“Pretty dry” isn’t all that bad but you can just put a slice of apple in the tub and it will rehydrate nicely. Granger is a thin cube cut while the CH is mostly ribbon.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ordered a pouch of Sir Walter (my first from Feb. is almost gone) and 2 oz. of Edgeworth Match from P&C. I considered adding some Briggs Match and some Velvet, but I really do have *plenty* of tobacco. These two items will just replenish my stock.
Velvet is quite mild - milder than what you are used to but a pouch won’t be a terrible risk.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

If you are not smoking through a tub fast enough, one tip to add a couple more open months is to put the entire tub in a one gallon hefty freezer bag. Zip open the bag and then pop open the tub when you want a smoke.

I know not everyone burns through a 12 or 14 ounce tub in a couple or a few weeks. If you're one of those more measured smokers, the bag will give you the extra time and peace of mind to go longer without resorting to the mason jars.

Top Bottom