What's new

July 2021 Acquisitions

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I do count pouches, but I'm weird like that. A 50g pouch is up to two months supply for me. I appreciate that it's just a light snack for some others here ;)

However, anything that arrives in a soft shell (pouch) is for smoking soon, and anything in a hard shell (tin) is for smoking later. I haven't cracked a tin for over a year, cos those pesky pouches have been keeping me busy... and will continue to do so for a few more months.

So...

The soon stuff queued up so much as to be a good while later, meaning the later stuff wasn't as soon as I thought. The sooner I smoke the soon stuff the better, as at least one is now very late, and the sooner the later stuff becomes now. The later stuff is later to start than I thought, and will finish much later still, as I'll keep buying the soon stuff to smoke soon, making the later stuff even later still. Except of course the later stuff I'm smoking now.

Clear...?
As mud. 😄

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I do count pouches, but I'm weird like that. A 50g pouch is up to two months supply for me. I appreciate that it's just a light snack for some others here ;)

However, anything that arrives in a soft shell (pouch) is for smoking soon, and anything in a hard shell (tin) is for smoking later. I haven't cracked a tin for over a year, cos those pesky pouches have been keeping me busy... and will continue to do so for a few more months.

So...

The soon stuff queued up so much as to be a good while later, meaning the later stuff wasn't as soon as I thought. The sooner I smoke the soon stuff the better, as at least one is now very late, and the sooner the later stuff becomes now. The later stuff is later to start than I thought, and will finish much later still, as I'll keep buying the soon stuff to smoke soon, making the later stuff even later still. Except of course the later stuff I'm smoking now.

Clear...?

Who's on first ?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

So...

Clear...?

This is scary. I understood all of that...perfectly. :eek2:

Got a single torch insert for my zippo today in the mail. Now they will get some cigar use too 😁👍

20210706_172359.jpg

Ok, there was some confusion. Let's try this again.

Cobs don't count due to their cost and abuse-ability. They're a consumable item, like pipe cleaners. They're made to get dropped in a lake when a bass takes your popper. They're made to get run over by the lawnmower or gunked up with sawdust (or worse) in your workshop. But they only don't count if it's 3 or under. 4 is a purchase¹.

Bulk tobacco 2oz and under don't count either. Those fall under a single pouch rule. One single pouch of SWR, H&H or Iwan Reis Three Star Blue can in no way count towards a tobacco purchase² as song as its a single pouch or bulk equivalent per transaction.

Tins may or may not count. This depends completely on the artwork on the tin and the ease of the budgetary committee to use said tin in a craft project she saw on Pinterest. These shall be decided on a case by case basis. But pretty much count on them counting.

Any limited runs, group buys, unobtainium drops may be purchased under "Emergency Use" and shall be exempt from counting, but still draw from the tobacco budget. The 4 pounds of Esoterica Brigadoon you jumped on doesn't count, but it still ate your tobacco budget. The pouch of Captain Black doesn't count as a purchase against your tobacco budget.

So Rookie went to his favorite local tobacconist. He *bought* 2 tins of C&D Generica, 3 ounces of PS Cube Cut, a tin of Mac Baren Tongue Fire, and a pretty little something from the Basket. He also *got* a MM Freehand, a pack of bristle cleaners, an ounce of Lane 1Q³, and a can of Zippo fluid.

¹I'm sure the budgetary committee in your castle has a hobby with similar financial oddities. Compromise is never a dirty word.

²See footnote (¹)

³Lane 1Q is the ever present single theme in any tobacconist. They all have a jar of it. And if you're not paying attention, they'll slip in an ounce to your order

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Picked up some SWR at the smokeshop the other day...reminded me of why I don't like most aromatics. May do a PIF with it.

Had never tried Velvet so I threw a pouch in with an order of Carter Hall that arrived today. Tried a bowl of the Velvet in a Dr. Grabow and it's not bad. The CH tub I got is made in the Dominican Republic. Haven't opened it yet as I still have about a third of a pouch of the old CH left. Also fired up a bowl of Royal Yacht this morning...I bought two sleeves of it a couple of years ago when they discontinued it. Still have about 8 tins left.

1625775785584.png

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Ok, there was some confusion. Let's try this again.

Cobs don't count due to their cost and abuse-ability. They're a consumable item, like pipe cleaners. They're made to get dropped in a lake when a bass takes your popper. They're made to get run over by the lawnmower or gunked up with sawdust (or worse) in your workshop. But they only don't count if it's 3 or under. 4 is a purchase¹.

Bulk tobacco 2oz and under don't count either. Those fall under a single pouch rule. One single pouch of SWR, H&H or Iwan Reis Three Star Blue can in no way count towards a tobacco purchase² as song as its a single pouch or bulk equivalent per transaction.

Tins may or may not count. This depends completely on the artwork on the tin and the ease of the budgetary committee to use said tin in a craft project she saw on Pinterest. These shall be decided on a case by case basis. But pretty much count on them counting.

Any limited runs, group buys, unobtainium drops may be purchased under "Emergency Use" and shall be exempt from counting, but still draw from the tobacco budget. The 4 pounds of Esoterica Brigadoon you jumped on doesn't count, but it still ate your tobacco budget. The pouch of Captain Black doesn't count as a purchase against your tobacco budget.

So Rookie went to his favorite local tobacconist. He *bought* 2 tins of C&D Generica, 3 ounces of PS Cube Cut, a tin of Mac Baren Tongue Fire, and a pretty little something from the Basket. He also *got* a MM Freehand, a pack of bristle cleaners, an ounce of Lane 1Q³, and a can of Zippo fluid.

¹I'm sure the budgetary committee in your castle has a hobby with similar financial oddities. Compromise is never a dirty word.

²See footnote (¹)

³Lane 1Q is the ever present single theme in any tobacconist. They all have a jar of it. And if you're not paying attention, they'll slip in an ounce to your order

I feel like there’s a dreaded “word problem” from a HS math class in there somewhere.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I feel like there’s a dreaded “word problem” from a HS math class in there somewhere.

If you have a tobacco that burns at a rate of 12% when packed moderately, and are smoking it outside in a 14 mph wind while the tobacco is packed tightly, how long will it take to burn one quarter of the bowl?

It will take a lot longer than the time I'm going to spend on this word problem.

Question 1; How much tobacco can you sneak past the Budgetary Committee before she says something?

Question 2: How many pipes stands can you fill up with nothing but cobs before the Budgetary Committee says something?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Question 1; How much tobacco can you sneak past the Budgetary Committee before she says something?

Question 2: How many pipes stands can you fill up with nothing but cobs before the Budgetary Committee says something?

Cobs? In stands?

That's why God invented the drawer. ;)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If you have a tobacco that burns at a rate of 12% when packed moderately, and are smoking it outside in a 14 mph wind while the tobacco is packed tightly, how long will it take to burn one quarter of the bowl?

It will take a lot longer than the time I'm going to spend on this word problem.
I’m pretty sure there needs to be a few relights somewhere in this problem.

Top Bottom