What's new

July 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Razor: QShave Adjustable
Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum
Soap: WCS Fougere
Brush: Maggard 22mm Synthetic

I had been using one soap for an entire month, but I'm starting to think I will need a bit more variety in my shaves if I am to survive the GRUME.
It's really hard for me to stick to one soap, knowing I have others waiting in line. Mix and Match!

It's really hard for me to stick to one soap, knowing I have others waiting in line. Mix and Match!
I know, right? I've been using just one soap a month for over a year. The idea was to work through my stash. Good plan, poor execution. I managed to empty a few containers, but I would get bored during the month and go shopping. The next thing you know, I have another puck or two... or three. One step forward, two steps back.

So, new plan... stick with one soap for a week for consistency, and switch to something else the following week for variety. It's time to start using what I have and enjoying it. I'm trying not to think of the GRUME as a "diet", but rather as a lifestyle change.

I know, right? I've been using just one soap a month for over a year. The idea was to work through my stash. Good plan, poor execution. I managed to empty a few containers, but I would get bored during the month and go shopping. The next thing you know, I have another puck or two... or three. One step forward, two steps back.

So, new plan... stick with one soap for a week for consistency, and switch to something else the following week for variety. It's time to start using what I have and enjoying it. I'm trying not to think of the GRUME as a "diet", but rather as a lifestyle change.
I stick with one soap to learn it. Once I've learned it, I keep going until I'm tired of it and then I move on to repeat the cycle. I really get to know my soaps and I put a solid dent in one before going to another. Since I'm not buying more, I'll get through all of them this way...eventually.

That seems like it would work; I like it. I've used the same soap anywhere from two days to three months. But if I have any hope of surviving the GRUME, I have to limit the number of simultaneous restraints.

I may stick with one soap for a week or I may decide to finish the puck. I just don't want to limit myself to one razor, soap, or brush so long that I start shopping again. I don't plan to buy any more soaps, but I know my triggers.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I had a great shave yesterday. I can't believe I avoided the AC blade format for so long. Basically I didn't want to fall down another rabbit hole, but luckily the Hawk V3 OC has been so awesome that I'm declaring "victory" and just staying with it.

The shave was a two-pass BBS -- no blood, irritation or post-shave sensitivity. It also helped that along with the razor, I used a favorite (if not my absolute favorite) soap, Valobra Fougere; and a favorite brush, Elite Razor's Lapis Lazuli (real stone) handle with an excellent badger knot.

proxy.php

Still in! SOTN

SOTD 07032020.jpg

Motherlode Synthetic
Stirling Lime sample
Fatip Lo Storto Slant razor
RPL (1)
Zingari Man recovery splash

What a shave. I went into it sort of in an annoyed mood because of the alignment issues with the razor. However, it shaves well regardless. I do find one side to bite slightly more but in the scheme of things, it didn't matter. Stirling soaps perform phenomenal as always.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Still in. Daily Double -- lots of those when I break out a straight razor....I'm still learning the ways of the straight.

Razors: Gold Dollar SR & Gillette Popular with a Nacet on it's 7th shave
Brush: RazoRock Beehive Plissoft (28mm)
Soap: Ogallala Bay Rum

I'm still not good enough with the Gold Dollar to do an entire first pass....perhaps the edge isn't where it's supposed to be cutting-wise, but long hairs are not fun to cut (feels more like a pull). So the GD did cheeks on the first pass and the Popular took the remainder of the face for pass 1. The second pass was all GD and it went smoothly and comfortably. The Popular did the 3rd and final pass and I was left with a Darn Fine Shave!!!
proxy.php

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in. Enjoying great shaves all week. I gotta confess that this restraint is probably made a bit easier for me knowing that the Astor I ordered from Simpsons a couple weeks ago will arrive at my door some time soon.

Still in.

SWS_20200704.jpg

Razor: Gem Junior Bar
Blade: Gem PTFE
Soap: Williams
Brush: Zenith B17

Still trying to keep shaves interesting without shopping for new gear. The first couple of shaves with Williams went well so I'll stick with it for at least a week. The switch to the SE for the week is probably just the distraction I need, and I've decided to give the "Short and Scrubby" some face time. Be well and be safe...

Still in, and facing multiple choice question. Done with Núavia Rosso. What soap should I pick next? MdC Rose or Panama 1924? Hot summer is calling for MdC, and I heed the call. I'd like to test much talked about Panama too.
Decisions decisions...

Still in. SOTD - 06 JUL 2020

SOTD 07062020.jpg

Viking Faux Jade brush
Stirling Peach soap
Gillette NEW long comb
Astra SP (5)
Zingari Man recovery splash

Great shave. I added a bit too much water to the lather so it came out a bit airy. Still provided a slick lather for a comfortable shave.

Top Bottom