What's new

July 2018 Challenge Unconventional Beauty

From my count Cash also received 2 votes, but Shanty Town has 3. With Times zones I'm not sure if voting is over world wide, but it has to be close.

2N2 got 3 as well if I counted right. I agree on the cut-off time, could be a problem for The Trap. Either way, I think we have a tie.

This is so confusing seems we can't count today. I just re-recounted, and am coming up with Shanty Town 3, Cash's Sign 2, The Trap 3 (not 2 like I counted earlier), 2n2 I still only count 2 votes (not 3). So the tie is actually between Shanty Town and The Trap. If we count @ccpastork 's vote we're back to a 3 way tie. Anyone care to recount my re-recount.

I think part of the reason the vote count is so difficult is the way we all use different terms to describe what we are voting for. Some votes are for the person, some for the post number and some for the title of the pic if one was given. Maybe we should consider standardizing on the post number or the person moving forward so it will be easier to count votes. Post number is probably the easiest. That said, I come up with the following:
Post #7 (ccpastork) = 3 votes
Post #17 (TrimBeard) = 3 votes
Post #20 (Cash_Stronomer) = 2 votes
Post #26 (davent) = 2 votes

That makes good sense! I think from now on the voting should written as post number first, then whatever you want to type afterward. Or maybe even a second thread for ONLY the post number vote, so that's all there is to look at?

Agreed post number first would make counting easier, perhaps we should put it in the rules in the opening post each month. A second voting thread may help, but I think keeping it in one thread would make it easier if your scrolling through old threads for inspiration or ideas.

So are we doing a tie breaker vote, and is it between Post #7 ( @ccpastork ) and Post #17 ( @TrimBeard ) or are we also including Post #26 ( @davent )?

I counted Bob L.’s compliment as a vote for #26, but he voted for it as well, so only 2 timely votes for #26. Then we have to define what is a timely vote. Did post 40, a vote for The Trap make the deadline? It shows as 5 minutes late on my computer, but that is GMT -5, so a few hours left when that vote could count somewhere west of me and before the date line. The voter shows to be from Toronto, so it would be late local time - if he was at home, but could be timely if he was out West.

Oh well, if the vote in post 40 counts, I revote for #17. If it doesn’t, post #7 wins.

On other forums' (guitar stuff) monthly contests that i've participated in, there is an entry thread, contains only the submission post, no comment posts, if any comment posts are made they get deleted so the thread's clutter free, only entry pictures.

For voting a second thread with a link to the submissions and formatted as a poll is started. It's a secret ballot and you can vote blind not knowing how the vote is progressing, never been a fan of the open vote. If you want to disclose your vote, comment, discuss people's work that's done in this thread.

Maybe a new voting thread announcing the vote is now taking place and will be until dd/mm would spur more people into casting votes, remind people to vote, there's a contest going on. Puts a New thread at the top of The Darkroom list to pull people in, see what it's all about.

How can we get more people submitting photos and even more casting votes.

dave

Last edited:
Regarding 12:05, i posted a picture in another thread at 11:57, made a few edits to the posts then came here to cast the vote, my days end long after midnight...
dave

On other forums' (guitar stuff) monthly contests that i've participated in, there is an entry thread, contains only the submission post, no comment posts, if any comment posts are made they get deleted so the thread's clutter free, only entry pictures.

For voting a second thread with a link to the submissions and formatted as a poll is started. It's a secret ballot and you can vote blind not knowing how the vote is progressing, never been a fan of the open vote. If you want to disclose your vote, comment, discuss people's work that's done in this thread.

Maybe a new voting thread announcing the vote is now taking place and will be until dd/mm would spur more people into casting votes, remind people to vote, there's a contest going on. Puts a New thread at the top of The Darkroom list to pull people in, see what it's all about.

How can we get more people submitting photos and even more casting votes.

dave
A secret ballot does seem like it would encourage more voting, especially for people not in the contest.

If we're re voting between the three Posts #7 (ccpastork), #17 (TrimBeard), and #26 (davent). My vote goes to #26 davent.

I did not vote because I still can't see the objective.. point is moot. looking forward to August
But without a winner who chooses the theme and starts the thread? Not specifically asking you, just trying to figure out how to proceed. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

The simple solution is that #26 only had 2 timely votes, we note that post 40 was 5 minutes late leaving #17 with 2 votes and declare #7 a winner with 3 votes. Y’all’s thoughts?

I guess that works, but 5 min late doesn't really seem late to me especially if voting was still open for other time zones. Probably is time to review the rules and maybe change the way we vote.

The good news is we had fine pictures to peruse and discuss. #7 was a fine shot as were the others. Time to declare a winner so we can post more shots. Creating a new scheme for voting is probably in order too. All of this can be discussed while we take our August pictures.

Top Bottom