What's new

Journey from Baili Chinese Tech clone (176) to R41 and back again

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I cannot emphasise how good the BD176 is.

Their lineup of three piece razors looks like it’s designed for rigidity addicts. Wish that‘s how I started.

At some point, you might also enjoy FaTip razors or single-edge razors, but your BD176 has you covered.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Large exposure with a blade clamped far from its edge is not a recipe for smooth. But I am sure it works fine for some and others couldn’t be paid to use it more than once.
Quoting myself as I made this point before I tried an R41. The loosely clamped R41 turned out to be one of the best shaves I've ever had. Not the smoothest during the shave. You get a lot of blade feel and it needs a very sharp blade. But I've rarely if ever had a razor leaving my face feeling as well post shave.

Based on what others said of the R41 I didn't think I would like it at all. I borrowed one for a month from my neighbor and ended up using it for all but a couple of days that month. You really don't know until you try a razor yourself. The Balli could be an excellent shaver.

I know this is an old thread and the original poster might not even read it anymore but I want to add that R41 needs a bit sharper blade than other razors. It is the best way to reduce the tugging and also to compensate for the lack of blade rigidity.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I know this is an old thread and the original poster might not even read it anymore but I want to add that R41 needs a bit sharper blade than other razors. It is the best way to reduce the tugging and also to compensate for the lack of blade rigidity.
Very true.

I grew a beard during COVID (which I maintain using electric clippers) so I don’t read here much. I think I did use a Nacet with the R41, so a sharp blade there. I never got used to the initial tug and chatter, but some will tolerate it for the closeness. If I shave this beard I’ll definitely use the Baili!

I grew a beard during COVID (which I maintain using electric clippers) so I don’t read here much. I think I did use a Nacet with the R41, so a sharp blade there. I never got used to the initial tug and chatter, but some will tolerate it for the closeness. If I shave this beard I’ll definitely use the Baili!
I also quit using R41 and I am using a mild razor as my daily driver. I simply enjoy more shaving with a mild razor, so I am with you on this. What I wrote above is more to help anyone having problem with R41 and tugging. I had this problem too and sharper blades helped me a lot. With sharper blades I mean blades as sharp as Feather. Nacet is keeping the edge better but for the short while the edge lasts on Feathers, they are sharper.

I also quit using R41 and I am using a mild razor as my daily driver. I simply enjoy more shaving with a mild razor, so I am with you on this. What I wrote above is more to help anyone having problem with R41 and tugging. I had this problem too and sharper blades helped me a lot. With sharper blades I mean blades as sharp as Feather. Nacet is keeping the edge better but for the short while the edge lasts on Feathers, they are sharper.

I don’t think I’ve used a Feather in anything, but I’m pretty sure I’ve been PIFed some previously.

Top Bottom