What's new

Journey from Baili Chinese Tech clone (176) to R41 and back again

I only own two razors - a Baili BD176 and an R41.

I was actually pretty content with the Baili. On my beard I always found it did a pretty good job, and, after some trial and error with blades, I consistently got a smooth, irritation-free, and close shave.

For no other reason than he is a good egg, my buddy decided to gift me a brand new R41. I've been using the R41 consistently over the last couple of months, exclusively with Personna Platinum Chromes (AKA Israeli Reds). While I've found that the R41 delivers a super-close and irritation free shave, I've never really gotten past the general roughness and harshness of it. I find it tugs consistently, no matter what angle I use. Pointing down (shallow angle) is the best, but it's still pretty rough. I've read the thread and tips, and not much seems to improve it.

Today I decided to go back to the Baili (containing a German made Wilkinson-Sword with - no kidding - at least 30 shaves on it) and I was absolutely blown away. This thing cut like butter, and was as absolutely smooth as silk. I got zero irritation and also a VERY close shave - closer than I ever remembered. A dab of post-shave balm, and it felt like home again.

So here we are. The journey is complete.

I like open comb razors, Karve #1, Schone#2, then got an R41 and liked it. Recently I got a Baili and was surprised that it's a good shaver...smooth and close. Yesterday I did one pass w a Gillette but wanted a closer shave so tried the R41 again ....and aborted....sort of felt as if I was going to cut myself....(not sure which blade was in there).
For the money, baili is gooood.

So R41 users are prepared to put up with unpleasant shave experiences and say: ‘of course it’s going to be a rough shave, the blade isn’t held rigidly!’?

I’d like more R41 users to comment. Seems eerily quiet. Maybe it’s the elephant in the room.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’d like more R41 users to comment. Seems eerily quiet. Maybe it’s the elephant in the room.

I‘m too much of newbasaurus to offer meaningful comment, but I have a 2013-R41 and I both enjoy it and see why neither it; nor any other face-clearing implement; is the Alpha and the Omega.

Very happy to read you have what does right by you.

It's just that it's been discussed on this
Forum dozens of times

Interesting. I must admit I don’t follow this forum all that closely. I’m surprised actually, since nearly every post I’ve come across talking about the R41 seems to rave about it. I can’t recall any negatives really, save for overly dramatic posts about blade gap and aggressiveness.

I'm new to the r103

a little past a week in....... I'm getting smooth irritation free shaves with it using feathers.

I'm guessing I will only get 4 shaves before a blade swap. I will try 5 again tommorow to see if it was me, lather/soap choice, or all of the above.

I hesitantly purchased this knowing the rep. that it has. on the other side of the tunnel I have found my new daily driver. because of only one AGT pass on my neck and a little cleanup, my neck skin shows no redness or irritation.

I do not find it harsh. maybe it just works for me and I'm lucky.

this morn, while driving into work I thought to myself........not even an old world italian barber could have gave me this good of a shave.

I'm not trying to exaggerate or tout the r41.......just sharing what's working for me.

plain old PDP soap this morn on top of it all......which I didnt expect. I am about through my evaluation of diff. soaps for this razor.

be well and I sincerely hope you find a combination that works for you.

camo

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have an R41 and have used it on occasion, but I certainly do not consider myself an R41 expert.

Nothing bad at all to say about the R41. It's just not a razor I instinctively reach for (if that makes any sense).

Been toying with a "Bruiser's Week" series of shaves using (among others):

1. Barbasol Floating Head
2. Barbasol Non-Floating Head
3. Mühle R41
4. GSC R41+
5. Roedter 1909 (possibly, not definitely - unless I can get @Raven Koenes to shave with his 1909 ;))

*Memo to self: Lay in stocks of styptic sticks. ;)

The problem with the R41 is that -- at least for me -- it is not suitable as an everyday razor because it is too aggressive (unless you shave with only one pass every now and then). Otherwise it is the most efficient shaver. While others need three passes to reach BBS, the R41 does it with two.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have an R41 and have used it on occasion, but I certainly do not consider myself an R41 expert.

Nothing bad at all to say about the R41. It's just not a razor I instinctively reach for (if that makes any sense).

Been toying with a "Bruiser's Week" series of shaves using (among others):

1. Barbasol Floating Head
2. Barbasol Non-Floating Head
3. Mühle R41
4. GSC R41+
5. Roedter 1909 (possibly, not definitely - unless I can get @Raven Koenes to shave with his 1909 ;))

*Memo to self: Lay in stocks of styptic sticks. ;)
I'm getting there. I'm working through my ocd rotation. I keep getting stuck on my Fatip Grande.

I have this Baili razor, which is slightly different than yours, the cap is flatter and not as rounded. While it's under ten dollars, I get the closest BBS shaves with it and an Astra Stainless.
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.52.19 AM.png

Just popped a fresh Gillette Nacent into the R1 and lathered up with Tabac and my goodness this shave is CLOSE. Genuine BBS. The first pass was still a bit rough though, but the Nacent did a much better job slicing through longer growth than the Israeli Reds IMO - definitely smoother and more tolerable. I’d be tempted to tolerate the first pass roughness of the R41 if I was to get a shave like this every time.

Top Bottom