What's new

Journals

Well, this one is a natural extension of the fountain pen thread. Who has some good suggestions for bound journals with high quality paper? I use them at work extensively, and like to have nice thick paper for use with a fountain pen. I have used Levenger's Notabilia notebooks for a while, but I am out and they won't have anymore until March.

I see a few people here talking about the Moleskine journals. What are they like?

Scotto,

I write mostly with a fountain pen at work and tend to use either Rhodia or Clairfontaine notebooks. They are not 8 1/2 x 11, but the paper is heavier weight and my pens seem to glide better on them than the average notebook paper. They come in a variety of sizes and spiral bound or stapled bindings. They're fairly common at stationary stores so you can probably take a look at them.

I've purchased Moleskins before, but since I am not a fan of writing in bound notebooks, I never used them that much with my fountain pens, so I really don't remember the quality of the paper. They do come in a variety of sizes and with or without lines or graph paper. I think one of the selling point is the elastic band attached to them, it makes them good for travelling (they won't get all messed up and you can shove ticke stubs, post cards, &c. into them).

Best,
Rich

Scotto,

I've used Moleskine journals for some time. Lately, they have become trendy. My orignal reason for buying one is that is lays flat. I have not had any other bound journal do that. It is available in a number of formats and sizes. They contain a "pocket" in the back and come with an attached book mark and a elastic band to help keeping it closed.

http://www.moleskineus.com/

Most recently I have been purchasing mine at Barnes & Noble, and they are also available at Borders. As far as using a fountain pen, I'm finding my Waterman pen bleeds through, but the disposable Pilot Varsity does not.

Randy

I bought a small Moleskine planner and accordian file. Not sure if I like the format yet, but I guess I'll give it a year. I've used a Pelikan M75 med. nib without bleeding. I do have to wait a moment before closing it or switching pages to avoid ink transfer to the opposite page. No such problem with a rollerball. I will be getting another Pelikan in the future with a finer nib. Medium is too wide for a small planner or journal, at least for me.

Cliff said:
One word gents; PDA. Have never looked back.:001_tt2:

Cliff,

I've got 6 PDAs...but they just don't compare to the smell, feel and enjoyment that the occasional written word can provide!

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Cliff,

I've got 6 PDAs...but they just don't compare to the smell, feel and enjoyment that the occasional written word can provide!

Randy
Absolutely true. A PDA Can't give you that. One of it's major downfalls.

mark the shoeshine boy said:
We have a porcelain one in the men's room upstairs, but sometimes the handle gets stuck and the water keeps running...

mark tssb
I don't care what Randy says, there's no way I could enjoy the smell of the ink coming out of your inkwell Mark!!! :9898: :em3000:

:wink:

-Nick

J-O-U-R-N-A-L.........That is a "J"....how stupid am I...something came over me and thought it was pronounced as a "Y"....

i was wondering why you were writing about that....

mark tssb

I picked up a few moleskine journals today at Borders. I'll let you know how they work out. The pages aren't quite as thick as I would have hoped, but we shall see.

Scotto said:
I picked up a few moleskine journals today at Borders. I'll let you know how they work out. The pages aren't quite as thick as I would have hoped, but we shall see.

I hope you'll like them. I currently use the Yearly planner, and two of the larger notebooks, one for personal and one for work meetings and training. I also use one of their reporter notebooks for tracking my diabetes numbers.

I am just now starting to use a fountain pen with them. My Waterman bleeds through, but it has a medium nib. I am about to order another Safari (the kids lost my last one) and probably a Pilot Knight at the recommendation of Pam at Brauns. I've been using a Pilot G2 and various pencils.

Randy

My fountain pens bleed in my Moleskine as well. I now just use a nice rollerball in it and save my fountain pens for thicker paper in a couple of my other journals. I love the size and look of the Moleskines. I wish the paper was just a little thicker.

Jerry

Here's a link some of you may find interesting, especially if you are concerned about ink longevity:

http://www.journalisimo.com/

The site has been quite for some time, but was recently updated. I emailed Mike Rohde about whether the site was dying, and he let me know it will be back strong soon.

Randy

Cliff,

Cliff said:
One word gents; PDA. Have never looked back.:001_tt2:

Whatever I write in my Moleskine journals will probably be read later when my kids clean out the house when mom and dad have passed on to another place.
Try that with your PDA, mine a "top" brand lost everything already several times, I now make backups like 2-3 times a week but then it broke down 3 times in less then 3 years time luckily I had a 3 year repair/replacement contract.

Just writing with a good fountain pen in a journal, getting your thoughts together and writing them on the paper using a pleasant color ink that makes the fine or medium gold nib flow over the paper ever so smooth like an ice skate champion over ice is so much nicer then tapping the ëlectronic keyboard on an PDA.

Try it, its fun and I'm pretty sure a decent fountain pen will outlive any current PDA ;)

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

Bagheera said:
Cliff,

Whatever I write in my Moleskine journals will probably be read later when my kids clean out the house when mom and dad have passed on to another place.
Try that with your PDA, mine a "top" brand lost everything already several times, I now make backups like 2-3 times a week but then it broke down 3 times in less then 3 years time luckily I had a 3 year repair/replacement contract.

Just writing with a good fountain pen in a journal, getting your thoughts together and writing them on the paper using a pleasant color ink that makes the fine or medium gold nib flow over the paper ever so smooth like an ice skate champion over ice is so much nicer then tapping the ëlectronic keyboard on an PDA.

Try it, its fun and I'm pretty sure a decent fountain pen will outlive any current PDA ;)

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

I back up my PDAs every night. It's automated. I use Daynotez a lot, and if I record a lot of information, I'll back it up right then, and hotsync as well.

Randy

S

solri89

My friend, writing on a Moleskine is like taking dictation for the Lord on his personal journal stock! I had 8 of them and foolishly gave 3 away as gifts. These notebooks make writing, even with fountain pens, a absolute pleasure. Myself, I own a Waterman Expert II with a medium nib. I am going to soon buy a fine nib for it. You would be wrong not to buy such an outstanding notebook. This is coming from one of the most pickiest persons when it comes to writing instruments and writing tablets.

rtaylor61 said:
This thread certainly went in the toilet! (Just beating Ron to it!)

Randy
Well now that you are flush with pride, I say we can CAN the potty humor without raising a stink about it!

Certain more subtle puns highlighted for the SSB

Top Bottom