What's new

Journaling - What do you use?

Leuchtturm makes a really nice A5 sized notebook. The last one I picked up (dot) even has two ribbons and a pocket in the back. I got it from Goulet. The paper is really quite good. Even with my very wet stub nibbed pens. Its about 240 pages as well.

I use the Muji Notebooks in A5 or B5 size. They are relatively inexpensive at $8.00, and you get five books, each with around 60 sides or 30 pages. I find the size perfect for short stories, planning, or time-sensitive notes for work. If I need a bigger journal I use the college ruled bound 7 x 9 journals. They can be had dirt cheap. Paper quality is iffy on these, so I usually end up spending more and buying the Enviro-notes brand. I use the fine tipped Sharpie pens (not the regular Sharpies) with no bleed through.
View attachment 711720View attachment 711721

I keep two. I keep one for our beach property, and it's a Clairefontaine 1951. I also keep another and use a Goulet (Tomoe River). Both are really good with various fountain pens. I don't write in either on a daily basis. Hopefully in about 15 years when we retire and move to the island permanently, I can write in the beach one daily! I did write 8 pages in it one day in October when I was trapped with no power in the middle of Hurricane Matthew. The second one I use when something comes to mind or something big happens; I might write a page a day for 3-4 days then lay it down for an extended period, or I might write 2-3 pages for a single day. It's not a daily journal as much as an event journal.

I also have a collection of mini composition books in my desk to record "thoughts for the day" for lack of a better term. If I say something to my students I want to remember (such as "If you want something sugar coated, you'd better go buy some M&Ms"), or if I hear a good piece of advice from a famous person, I jot it down.

I have been using A5 for years, because I felt A4 was to big, and I have just learned about B5, that may be my ticket!

Tom

Lately, I've been using loose-leaf blank cream Tomoe River 52 gsm paper, then I punch it with a 26-hole punch and keep it in a Lihit Lab A5 twist ring binder. I'm terrible at writing straight so I print a line guide template on thicker paper and put it behind the sheet I'm writing on. I like the binder because I can rearrange papers and with the 26 rings, it looks more like a spiral-bound notebook than a binder.

I try to write in my journal everyday and have been for a number of years now. I'm a bullet journal style journal writer and use pretty much only dot style journals. I have tried a few different journals but I find that the Minimalism Art journals work really well for any fountain pen and ink I throw at it. They hold up well and are affordable.

I've used my journaling to improve my cursive writing and I can say that it has really helped.

I had several from as a kid. I started seriously with a couple Leuchtturn1917 A5 hard backed 5mm grid pages (200-ish) in ‘14. Went to buy the third and couldn’t find the grids. Transitioned to Life Noble A5 grid with a paper cover (on my 4th) with a Popov Leather cover. I just picked up a Midori MD A5 grid to check it out and bought 4 more in case they stop making them. They should last me awhile.

I like the A5 size, because they travel well and easily. I use a personalized Bullet system so these are my everything in one books. Calendar, day planner, task lists, etc… anything I need it to be and daily journal. I crosspost everything between it and digital (excepting journaling).

I’m carrying a “out of the house” A4 pocket notebook less and less these days and using my phone for it more and more. But it all gets cross loaded when I get home

IMG_6625.jpeg

I had several from as a kid. I started seriously with a couple Leuchtturn1917 A5 hard backed 5mm grid pages (200-ish) in ‘14. Went to buy the third and couldn’t find the grids. Transitioned to Life Noble A5 grid with a paper cover (on my 4th) with a Popov Leather cover. I just picked up a Midori MD A5 grid to check it out and bought 4 more in case they stop making them. They should last me awhile.

I like the A5 size, because they travel well and easily. I use a personalized Bullet system so these are my everything in one books. Calendar, day planner, task lists, etc… anything I need it to be and daily journal. I crosspost everything between it and digital (excepting journaling).

I’m carrying a “out of the house” A4 pocket notebook less and less these days and using my phone for it more and more. But it all gets cross loaded when I get home

View attachment 1691980
Sounds very similar to what I do as well. :thumbup:

Top Bottom