What's new

journal part 4

i finally got a edge on the razor i breadknifed. i had to use my flattening stone to get it started. i got it as close to shave ready as possibloe for my brother. i didnt really spend the extra effort into it knowing he wouldent use it for shaving but ive gotten used to using one hand for honing. though on the bottom part of the lap i flip the blade over the edge instead of the spine although i know thats wrong to do it like that, it feels more natural. i can now do 3 hundred laps with less effort than using both hands. im also learning to use my finishing stone. i do the same thing dr matt does with the ilr but with vermont green slate. the edge is nice. im also learning that somethimes more pressure when setting a bevel is worse for the edge than less. please feel free to discuss

i finally got a edge on the razor i breadknifed. i had to use my flattening stone to get it started. i got it as close to shave ready as possibloe for my brother. i didnt really spend the extra effort into it knowing he wouldent use it for shaving but ive gotten used to using one hand for honing. though on the bottom part of the lap i flip the blade over the edge instead of the spine although i know thats wrong to do it like that, it feels more natural. i can now do 3 hundred laps with less effort than using both hands. im also learning to use my finishing stone. i do the same thing dr matt does with the ilr but with vermont green slate. the edge is nice. im also learning that somethimes more pressure when setting a bevel is worse for the edge than less. please feel free to discuss
If you start by pulling the blade facing your elbow on your dominate hand, while honing one handed, it makes it much easier to flip on the spine. I feel like starting there is like counting from 2 but it made the strokes much easier and another for me. Once I started doing it that way it felt more natural to me.

Top Bottom