What's new

Journal One

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have to admit I was surprised to see a journal starting with bar soaps!

The purpose of this (these) test(s) was to verify whether they were soaps capable of providing ENOUGH glide and ENOUGH protection to shave with. And the answer is a resounding, YES.

I also know they work, pretty well too considering they arent a true shave soap. Even Dawn dish soap works, but as you've shown, a proper shave soap does do the better job!

I have to admit I was surprised to see a journal starting with bar soaps!

I also know they work, pretty well too considering they arent a true shave soap. Even Dawn dish soap works, but as you've shown, a proper shave soap does do the better job!

I'm going to have to take your word on Dawn Dish soap, lol.

Shave # 17 with Gem Featherweight Razor w/ Gem Super Stainless Steel Blade (1)

thumbnail_20200209_172443.jpg

Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Omega 10051 (made in Italy)

Finally decided to change blades, after 16 uses.
thumbnail_20200209_192041.jpg

thumbnail_20200209_192034.jpg
It had gotten to a point where I wasn't looking forward to the shave simply because of the lack of sharpness from the blade. First shave with this new blade was a little rough in terms of irritation. It's much sharper than the blade I tossed (of course, it's new), and it cut through the whiskers easily. But the usual 3 passes + touchup was a bit too much for my skin. There's no lasting irritation now that it's been a few hours, but the feedback from the alum let me know I was a bit too aggressive, shaving. BBS shave, though. Used a makeshift scuttle since the weather outside was freezing.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
16 shaves on a GEM blade is pretty good. The most I've had was 12 in my MMOC.

16 shaves on a GEM blade is pretty good. The most I've had was 12 in my MMOC.

I've only ever used one GEM blade, since acquiring this razor in early December. I have more testing to do in order to support or invalidate my initial impressions, but for my skin type and beard growth, I did find the blade to be a bit harsh on my skin for the first few shaves. I've found the same is true for this second blade I'm currently using. I'll have to wait and see if it smooths out like the first blade.

I have a habit of removing the blade and gently wiping it between tissue after every use, then marking it with a dot and flipping it. Tissue is known to be very abrasive, or at the very least I know it's like a nightmare on dressmaking shears, so it might be dulling it prematurely. But old habits die hard, and it gives me peace of mind to do so. A few shaves lost (if that) isn't the end of the world.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I find the GEM PTFE blades a bit harsh for the first 3-4 shaves. Because of that I start them in my Bullet Tip and after 4 shaves move them to my MMOC.

I'm not sure wiping the blade will hurt it, but cutting or slicing paper wears any sharpened edge very quickly. All those individual fibers need to be cut and there are a lot of them.

Shave # 18 with Gem Featherweight Razor w/ Gem Super Stainless Steel Blade (2)

Fell behind on my postings. This shave was from 2/14/2020

thumbnail_20200214_203447.jpg

Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap (made in USA...I think)
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express Two Band (made in China)

Shave was BBS close and smooth. The Yaqi brush always feels like a luxury. I've simply got an attachment with my boars that keeps me going back to them, when this beast of a brush does everything I want it to, and more. Williams mug soap has now surpassed MWF as my favorite soap to use. Incredibly slick, and helps me achieve the closest shaves I've ever had. Shave #2 on the blade was incredibly comfortable.

I find the GEM PTFE blades a bit harsh for the first 3-4 shaves. Because of that I start them in my Bullet Tip and after 4 shaves move them to my MMOC.

I'm not sure wiping the blade will hurt it, but cutting or slicing paper wears any sharpened edge very quickly. All those individual fibers need to be cut and there are a lot of them.

I'm going to be ordering some of those once I decide to quit GRUME challenges lol. A 100 pack should last me until my hair turns grey, judging by how long a blade lasts me.

Shave # 19 with Gem Featherweight Razor w/ Gem Super Stainless Steel Blade (3)

Shaved 2 days ago.

Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap (made in USA...I think)
Brush: Omega 10051 (made in Italy)

Shaved a while back with William's Yaqi Moka and GEM Featherweight. I've been getting a bit lazy lately with the shaving. Shaved yesterday, without a brush. Just rubbed a puck of william's against my stubble and proceeded to shave with my GEM featherweight and GEM Super Stainless Steel (5th shave).

That puts the total at Shave #21 with Gem Featherweight Razor w/ Gem Super Stainless Steel Blade (5)

Shave 22, 2 days ago. Didn't chase BBS. Yaqi moka express, GEM Featherweight, Gem Super Stainless Steel blade. And Nivea Sensitive shave cream.

21 is a good number...

Shaving has become more of a chore than something I enjoy as of late. Actually, scratch that. I'm neutral about it once I actually start shaving, but convincing myself to shave has become a bit tedious. I don't know what it is, maybe the inconsistency in the weather or perhaps it has to do with having found what I think is the ideal setup. The mentality that it doesn't get 'better' from here, might've temporarily killed the excitement of the 'search'. But I do tend to be rather volatile when it comes to things like these, and what might seem 'boring' today will seem exciting tomorrow. So we will see how it continues lol

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Shaving has become more of a chore than something I enjoy as of late. Actually, scratch that. I'm neutral about it once I actually start shaving, but convincing myself to shave has become a bit tedious. I don't know what it is, maybe the inconsistency in the weather or perhaps it has to do with having found what I think is the ideal setup. The mentality that it doesn't get 'better' from here, might've temporarily killed the excitement of the 'search'. But I do tend to be rather volatile when it comes to things like these, and what might seem 'boring' today will seem exciting tomorrow. So we will see how it continues lol

An MMOC might cure your boredom lol.

Top Bottom