What's new

Journal of a floppy-fingered DE shaver

Thanks for the tips on lathering with a synthetic brush, Blood donor. You're right, I thoroughly wet my brush then shook it a few times so it wasn't dripping wet. Part of my problem may have been starting with too much water. The lather was somewhat thick and creamy even though it ran down the brush handle. It wasn't runny on my face. And, it was less runny on my second Arko shave.

The rubber bands worked great. Next shave I will try Arko again and start with a drier brush.

Day 20 - Cremo Original, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Dorco PL 602 w/ handle inserted into a foam grip tubing 1" diameter, Astra Superior Platinum blade, Thayers Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Today I went back to Cremo. I didn't use the Proraso Pre-shave but I could not tell any difference. With each shave I am getting more consistent with maintaining the angle and pressure. I finished off today with an ATG pass. Nice and close shave! Not BBS yet. I may have to use a sharper blade to get that.

Thanks again for the lathering tips.

KevinD

Day 21 - Arko stick, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Dorco PL 602 w/ handle inserted into a foam grip tubing 1" diameter, Astra Superior Platinum blade, Thayers Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

This was my best shave. I started with a drier brush. I wet the tip. I had to add a little water a few times and it took a while but the lather was thick and creamy. I enjoyed it! The brush had enough lather for a good thick coating on my face for more than the three passes (plus a couple dabs on touch up spots.) I had no razor burn, nicks, or anything.

Again, the rubber bands worked perfectly. The brush handle did not slip at all. I have made all of the adaptations needed to be able to DE wet shave with paralyzed hands. Thanks to Andrew, Blood donor, the great threads and wiki instructions here on B&B. I can't tell you how thankful I am!

After Day 30 I am going to try my modified foam grip handle with my wife's grandfather's Gillette Superspeed, and bowl lathering.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great stuff Kevin. Thais is really good to hear. Arko is a fantastic cheap soap that is real value for money. The scent can be an acquired taste though. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the Super speed. They are really good razors. Another option for the rubber bands could be the non slip material that you can use to stop things from slipping around in drawers. You could wrap this around the handle and secure it with the rubber bands. You can also buy it in smaller forms as a glass jar opener. I am really pleased for you. You have made my day today.

Days 22, 23, 24 - Arko stick, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Dorco PL 602 w/ handle inserted into a foam grip tubing 1" diameter, Astra Superior Platinum blade, Thayers Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Day 22 was a good shave, but day 23 I nicked my chin and left jaw. I could tell the blade wasn't cutting as well and I caught myself repeating strokes.

Day 24 I put a new Astra Superior Platinum in the razor. The shave was much better. Also I pressed an Arko stick into a small round plastic container I found in the kitchen and tried to bowl lather. It took a while and I didn't start with enough soap in my brush. I did get a good if small amount of lather. It was a good shave.

How long should shaving take? It takes me 15 to 20 minutes with Cremo, and 25 to 30 when I lather. I am slow at face lathering and I was very slow today with bowl lathering.

KevinD

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It probably takes me 15 minutes from start to finish. That is a three pass shave with face wash at the start and a cold rinse and rub with the Alum Block at the very end. I think you are doing excellent considering your floppy fingeredness. It would be slightly quicker if I used a cartridge razor as I only do two passes with a cartridge razor. As long as you are enjoying yourself shaving take as long as you like. I do on a day off. Sometimes I will do a four pass shave and bowl lather a cream which takes me longer again. I think your times are great and thanks for keeping us informed. I think that you have come a long way already.

Top Bottom