What's new

Journal of a floppy-fingered DE shaver

Here is the journal of my search for a good shave. Over at the Newbie Check-in Andrew suggested I check out the Journals forum. Reading how others have solved their shave problems has been very encouraging. I'm so glad I found B&B forum.

I'm a quadriplegic and my hands are paralyzed. In this journal I am looking for the best way to hold a safety razor with paralyzed hands, and, of course, getting the best shave I can.

I posted the record of my first nine shaves on the Newbie Check-in forum under "Hello from Newbie in South Alabama."

Day 10, 21 July 2019 - Cremo Original, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Mach3 w/ U-cuff, Thayer’s Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Avon Musk aftershave conditioner

After my first eight shaves I realized the Viking was not going to work. So, last shave I went back to the Mach3 and I got a rash on my neck. Because of that and that I’m still waiting on my Dorco PL602, this morning I had 3 days of whiskers to shave with my Mach3. Still, I went through the pre-shave routine and ended up with a cut on my jaw and an aggravated neck rash.

I read somewhere that Cremo was made to apply without a brush. Next shave I’m going to apply Proraso pre-shave (red) and then Cremo w/o using the brush. I’ll probably have to use the Mach3. I can’t wait for the Dorco to arrive.

Questions: I have my Viking Chieftain razor that I can’t use The foam grip tube I slide the razor handle into needs to be long for me to hold on to the razor without it slipping (my hands are paralyzed). I discovered I can’t use a butterfly razor because the bottom of the handle has to remain exposed for me to twist it. The tubing fits too tightly around the razor handle to be removed. B&B has been very helpful and encouraging to me. I would like to make the Viking a PIF. As a brand new noobie can I do that?

KevinD

My Dorco PL602 should arrive by Friday. Until then I'll skip updating my journal with Mach3 days because it doesn't count toward me learning and developing my DE shaving skills. I did try the brushless application of Proraso pre-shave and Cremo this morning. I like using the brush anyway. It feels better and I don't have to use as much Cremo.

I found what looks like a potential answer to my difficulty holding onto a handle. The Merkur 40B Blue Chunky Double Edge Safety Razor: Merkur 40B Blue Chunky Double Edge Safety Razor
I will use my Dorco to learn and gain experience first. Meanwhile I'm going to save up and start searching Ebay for a good deal on the Merkur Chunky though.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hey Kevin, the Merkur Chunky handle might be a good razor to try. It might be better suited to your shaving situation. You can PIF the razor no worries. Just work out how you want to do the PIF. If you are not sure just send me a PM and I will talk you through it.

Thanks Andrew, sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Had a busy week at work. I'm holding off on the PIF with my Viking because I have a modified handle idea I want to try out on it.

My Dorco PL602 arrived yesterday! I shaved with it last night and it will be my razor for learning how to wet shave.

Day 11 - Proraso pre-shave (red),Cremo Original, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Dorco PL 602 w/ handle inserted into a foam grip tubing 1" diameter, Astra Superior Stainless blade, Thayers Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

My best shave yet, but still not a close shave. I followed the 7-step pre-shave routine (I can't remember if I found that here or on sharpologist.) My neck did not get irritated and I only nicked a red bump and the same spot on my right jaw. I felt no razor burn. I did 3 passes, WTG, XTG, XTG other direction. I missed a small patch of whiskers on the right side of my neck that I didn't notice until after the shave.

While my beard is somewhat coarse in the van dyke area on and around my chin and mouth, my beard is not nearly as thick and close together on my cheeks and neck. Still, I can see I will need a sharper blade in the future.

The Dorco looked flimsier and more fragile than I expected. It felt as light as a pencil. It fit perfectly into the .4" hole of the tubing. And, it was easy for me to unscrew the handle, carefully place the blade in the cap, and screw the handle back on. To do this I folded a thick towel and with the razor upside down I gently pressed the top of the cap onto the towel and turned the handle between the palms of both hands until it was a lightly snug tightness.

I found the Dorco with the tubing was a lot easier to hold at the proper angle.

I'm happy with my progress so far.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Very good progress. You could try a sharper blade such as a Feather in the milder Dorco as you progress. I find that a Feather Blade in a Gillette Tech gives me a good shave but a Feather in an Open Comb can be a little harsh for me.

Days 12 and 13 - Proraso pre-shave (red),Cremo Original, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Dorco PL 602 w/ handle inserted into a foam grip tubing 1" diameter, Astra Superior Stainless blade, Thayers Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Two shaves, no razor burn, no nicks, but plenty of stubble left.

I had planned on following the advice for newbies I read somewhere on B&B not to change the blade type for 30 days. Since I started DE shaving I haven't had a close shave. Next shave I'm switching blades from Astra Superior Stainless to Astra Superior Platinum. I read the platinum were sharper. I do have 15 Feather blades in my blade sample bag but I'm afraid to try a Feather so soon. Chicken! lol

The 1" diameter foam grip tubing cut to 4.5" long makes a good handle for the Dorco, or any two or three-piece razor, but it covers the bottom end of the handle. That meant I couldn't use my two TTO razors, the Viking Chieftain and my wife's grandfather's Gillette Super Speed.

There may be a way to modify the foam grip so I can use the TTOs: Cut a slit 3" or so on one side of the foam grip, insert the razor handle, and tightly wrap the grip around the razor handle with an elastic velcro strap. I'll try this as soon as I finish my first 30 shaves.

Tomorrow morning I'll change the blade to the Astra Superior Platinum.

Taking it slow.

KevinD

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for keeping us posted. Take it slow is the way to go. Practice makes perfect. I would not change too much in the first month. Just get your technique worked out. Of course you will have to change a blade or two in this time but this would probably be all that I would change. I chickened out of using Feather Blades for quite a long time as I had read so much about the bloodshed that ensued after using one. I found that in a mild razor such as a Tech the shaves were very good. The Dorco would fall into a mild razor category so maybe as your technique improves you might be able to try the Feather Blade in the Dorco and have some really great shaves. Again thanks for sharing your journey and with practice you will get the results that you are working towards.

Day 14 - Proraso pre-shave (red),Cremo Original, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Dorco PL 602 w/ handle inserted into a foam grip tubing 1" diameter, Astra Superior Platinum blade, Thayers Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Thanks for the encouragement Andrew!

I did everything the same except for changing the blade to Astra Superior Platinum. The blade was noticeably sharper. It didn't cut me though and it cut closer leaving less stubble on each pass.

No more changes for the next 16 shaves. Now that I have found a way to hold on to the razor I'm focusing on angle and pressure.

Since Cremo doesn't lather like most shaving soaps and creams I'm looking forward to getting a good lathering soap to try after my 1st 30 shaves are done. Maybe RazoRock P.160 or a few Stirling samples.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
That’s great Kevin. Once you get your angles and pressure correct you can change things around a little. Using little or no pressure in your case may be a challenge but I am sure that you will be fine. A soap sampler pack might be a good idea. You can try some soaps and see what works for you without the outlay of a full tub, just in-case you don’t like the smell of the soap or it upsets your skin. Keep going, your doing fantastic.

Day 15 - Proraso pre-shave (red),Cremo Original, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Dorco PL 602 w/ handle inserted into a foam grip tubing 1" diameter, Astra Superior Platinum blade, Thayers Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

I had my best shave so far this morning.

Day 16 - Proraso pre-shave (red),Cremo Original, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Dorco PL 602 w/ handle inserted into a foam grip tubing 1" diameter, Astra Superior Platinum blade, Thayers Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

This morning I had the closest shave so far. But my whiskers still feel like sandpaper when I rub against the grain. Still, no irritation, no bumps, no nicks! It's all about listening, feeling, and watching the angle of the razor handle. At the same time, I'm moving the razor a little faster across my face. That seems to help. Also, I'm finding the best angle for me is when the handle is way out at 40-45 degrees.

I'm 55 years old and I've been shaving for 39 years. I dreaded it. Ha! Now I'm looking forward to this mundane pleasure. Amazing. And I haven't even been lathering soap yet.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great stuff Kevin, it is a wonderful feeling when it all falls into place. Sounds like you are definitely on the right track. Congratulations on the Shave.

Day 17 - Proraso pre-shave (red),Cremo Original, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Dorco PL 602 w/ handle inserted into a foam grip tubing 1" diameter, Astra Superior Platinum blade, Thayers Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

This shave was going so well I decided to do an ATG pass at the end. It went great! By far my best shave. I have a little friction when I rub my face against the grain and I do feel a little burn but nothing noticeable in the mirror. This was a great Monday morning shave.

This morning my wife said my skin was so soft... :) If I weren't all in by now I am ALL IN now! Maybe she won't fuss much when I order shave supplies lol!

Day 18 - Proraso pre-shave (red), Arko stick, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Dorco PL 602 w/ handle inserted into a foam grip tubing 1" diameter, Astra Superior Platinum blade, Thayers Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

I wanted to know if I could lather so I bought a cheap Arko shaving stick. I tried to face lather because I thought it would be easier. As soon as the lather started looking good the brush handle became so slippery that I couldn't hold on to it long enough to continue building the lather, even using both hands and pausing to dry my hands and the brush handle.

I think I'll need a brush with a better handle. It will need to be longer and slip resistant.

Arko scent? I've been trying to identify where I've smelled the combo of scents before. It might be a combo of a bar of Ivory and a puck of Sani Flush. At 55 years old I've smelled a lot worse than that!

I put a new Astra SP blade in my Dorco, too. Other than the lather problem it must have been good enough because it was a good shave. I'll go back to Cremo until I can figure out what to do about the brush handle.

KevinD

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sounds like you are progressing well Kevin and that is good to hear. With the brush can you wrap it with rubber bands or something that might give it some more grip, or do you need a bigger, thicker handle?

Thanks for the rubber band idea. I'll try it. But I'm thinking a bigger handle with a thicker bottom and a flair or thicker top would work.

Hey Andrew, the rubber bands worked perfectly! Thank you!

Day 19 - Proraso pre-shave (red), Arko stick, RazoRock Disruptor synthetic brush, Dorco PL 602 w/ handle inserted into a foam grip tubing 1" diameter, Astra Superior Platinum blade, Thayers Witch Hazel w/ rose water, Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

I used the Arko stick again so I could try out the brush handle with rubber bands to help keep it from slipping out of my hand. I was able to work up a good lather on my face and have enough for 3 passes.

I cut my chin though. First cut in several shaves. Otherwise it was a very good shave. :)

Great thread and progress! When I read it, I hoped the move to actual soap would help the quality of your lather, and therefore shaves - glad it seems to be from the early days on Arko. If you are already able to go gently ATG, your technique must be sound too.

Just on the lather making, worth nothing that different brush types create lather differently. Boars for me need loads of water in them to start with (I don't even shake out the water after soaking my brush), badgers need a much more shaken brush (unless using the messy wet Marco method), but synthetics like yours definitely need a well-shaken, fairly dry brush and then and add water drops only to the tips as you build your lather. If not, the soapy water will just run down the handle making it slippy and making poor lather, as synths can't retain water like badger or boar hairs. I face lather with a synth as my preferred option now over much more expensive brushes so the learning curve is worth it!

Top Bottom