What's new

Joseph Wostenholm & Sons clean up

I picked this one up because it looked clean, I liked its age, and I liked the horn scales with the etched branding. I wish I had taken my own pics when I got it but I started taking it apart too quickly to be bothered with pics. These are a couple of the auction pics.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The pin at the pivot had already been snipped off on one side so I figured tapping the pin out from that side would be straightforward and simple. I was wrong. I should have headed to the drill press to drill out the end of that headless pin because I believe it had been re-peened just enough to not want to fit through the scale holes. In taking them apart I snapped one scale in two...sickening. An otherwise perfect set of old horn scales ruined. I should have taken pics but I was sickened by my lack of forethought and patience.

Luckily it snapped in a way that allowed the layers of horn to slide together and interlock with CA glue. It looks like crap but is more than structurally sound. Of course, the one that snapped is the more "honey" colored scale making the repair even more obvious. I suppose it's good that the scale with the etching wasn't the one broken though. I gave the scales a quick sanding and some mineral oil treatment to get them looking fresh again and turned my attention to the blade.

There was really only a bit of active rust on the tail and the tang so just some gentle work with worn out 220 and 320 paper followed by #0000 steel wool and Mother's metal polish cleaned up an otherwise already pretty clean blade. I could have been more aggressive and gone for a full polish but I didn't want to lose the blade etching.

Now to get it pinned up and honed.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Got it pinned, took a few pics and am honing as I type. Just got done with bevel setting with my king 1k and it went very quickly. Now on to the king 6k and coti.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
I believe that blade is actually a Morley & Sons. Nice cleanup though

I thought Joseph Westenholm was an English maker but the razor is clearly stamped with Germany.
Good catch.
You never know who did what to a razor prior to you receiving it when its vintage.

Interesting, no wonder I wasn't able to find abything on Wostenholm clover brand haha!

I'd be curious to know when the scale change had been made. It makes sense that someone without the appropriate tools or spinning materials threw a set of scales on that blade and just shoved a long enough pin in that could be peened enough on the cut side to keep it together.

I shaved with it off of the coti and although it was doing well with the FOFT it tugged a bit much for my taste. I hit the coti for some more plain water then baby oil finishing laps only to see what seemed like no improvement in the FOFT. I decided to grab the 3 and 1u film and after 30-40 laps each it was mowing down hair like a boss. I'm looking forward to the next shave test. This heavy grind is a different feel from most of the full hollows I have. A couple 1/4 hollow bokers are otherwise the heaviest grinds I own.

Shaved this morning after finishing with film. Wow, night and day. Nicer than the best edge I've ever gotten off the coti. Zero feedback almost like the shavette I tried in the past with this heavy grind which I'm not accustomed to but smooth as silk.
proxy.php

It's making me want to find a Joseph Wostenholm razor to put these scales on!!!!!

Top Bottom